SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243080 - 09/22/08 02:25 PM Wersi OAS 7 style demos
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A few styles of OAS 7 for comparison

The styles themselves are Organ styles (Wersi’s main output is still organs) so if your looking for arranger styles you are out of luck. (Hopefully this post will encourage those who have the OAA (Open Art Arranger) to post arranger styles (NOT Yamaha styles please, but OAA styles)

The styles have been posted before using OAS 6 and the details can be found here http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017879.html which will allow for comparisons.

I have deliberately left everything (EQ, Reverb etc) alone, just as you would get it OOTB. (Virtually all members here do tweak their settings before posting, but others keep moaning that they want to hear out of the box, (Even though most of them never use or post their keyboards like that) so hear they are)

No professional studio engineers were used, and neither were any multi thousand pound studio gear (Mixers, Compressors etc) that the manufacture have access too.

The recordings themselves were recorded direct to Hard Disk and then burnt onto CD, (All done within the Abacus) before being transferred to the main computer and converted to mp3 using Audacity and the lame mp3 encoder. (None of Audacity’s mastering tools were used; the conversion was straight to 192Kbs)

Sorry for the long winded description, but some on the site keep complaining that I do not provide enough information.

TIP. Don’t bother listening on computer speakers. (All arrangers deserve better)

Anyway here is the link http://www.4shared.com/file/64036054/7b0bbab1/Styles.html

Bill

#243081 - 09/22/08 03:00 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi Abacus . Thank you for posting these demo's. You have consistently promoted the wersi and not just with words but with ptractical examples. If i may i would like to comment on what i have heard when comparing the OAS 6 with OAS7.

Firstly there is a marginal improvement to my ears in version 7. Leaving the programming alone for a minute. The guitars and drums sounded marginally better.

However sound quality is still in my opion not even in the same ball park as yamaha or korg for realism . I dont want you to feel like i am constantly dogging wersi Abacus. Thats not my intention, but i believe that Wersi may have a very flexible instrument in terms of what it might be capable of but what it is right now is a poor sounding arranger in comparrison to Korg Roland and yamaha. I am actually very disappointed as OAS 7 promised to be something special and to my ears does not even register as average in terms of sound. I know sound is subjective but not that subjective. If yamaha continually get critiscised for poor sounding/weak drums , then wersi should shoot their sound engineers for the example of druims that i heard in both the OAS6 and 7. All i can say is that the OAS7 should be a free upgrade. Noone should have to pay good money for that.

I applaud you for sticking with the WErsi and i hope you continue to enjoy making music on it. But i honestly fee it time for the emporer to put on some real clothes now.

#243082 - 09/22/08 03:35 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
"Us" Dutchies are known/notorious/feared/hated/loved (strike all that do not apply to your situation) for being annoyingly honest and straight-forward. We don't go around slapping people on the back telling them what a great instrument they have and then laugh behind their backs. If we think it sucks, we'll tell you.

Mind you: we don't tell you it DOES suck, it's just an OPINION. Mine, in this case.

And this, to MY ears, is the worst sounding arranger I've heard in years. Sorry.

#243083 - 09/22/08 04:18 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:
"Us" Dutchies are known/notorious/feared/hated/loved (strike all that do not apply to your situation) for being annoyingly honest and straight-forward. We don't go around slapping people on the back telling them what a great instrument they have and then laugh behind their backs. If we think it sucks, we'll tell you.

Mind you: we don't tell you it DOES suck, it's just an OPINION. Mine, in this case.

And this, to MY ears, is the worst sounding arranger I've heard in years. Sorry.

Bart, you forgot to mention arrogant, argumentative and closed minded...

#243084 - 09/22/08 04:22 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

#243085 - 09/22/08 04:35 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill I recognise a few styles from the Roland G1000.."Boogie2"...

#243086 - 09/22/08 11:11 PM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Ah, I knew there was more

(But I guess you got it mixed up. "Arrogance" and "closed minded" are US Patents. :-)

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 09-22-2008).]

#243087 - 09/23/08 12:06 AM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Bart is right about the Wersi demo's and probably also about us Dutchies being straight forward ? .....

#243088 - 09/23/08 12:35 AM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What can I say...? That hasn't already been said?

Perhaps just this... If I had paid $8000 for this, I'd have a pretty sick sensation in the pit of my stomach, right about now, knowing that this could easily be bettered with a $3000 arranger.

Until Wersi license one of the better general purpose VSTi's (Colossus, for example), and then develop a boatload of styles specifically for it, it's going to keep playing second fiddle to arrangers almost a third of it's price. It just seems such a waste to have the technology, and not use it to it's fullest advantage.

So close, and yet so far....

#243089 - 09/23/08 03:44 AM Re: Wersi OAS 7 style demos
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
It sounds like a Technics KN2000,in that time one of the best arrangers.

Impuls.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online