SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243023 - 09/20/08 05:33 AM (OT) Water Heater Question...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

Over the last 24 hours we've noticed a small but persistent stream of water coming from our 40 gallon electric water heater. Its not heavy enough that you can see it flowing with the naked eye, but what was essentially a dry floor at midnight last night now has a little stream of water...

Some observations:

1) Nothing else is leaking above this area and the only thing also in this area is our furnace, which hasn't been turned on since March...

2) I see no visible sign of water dripping from a valve of any kind...

3) We still have hot water and plenty of it...

4) There are two small access panels on the front face of this unit. I removed the upper one and found what looks to be a tempurature settings and some insulation, which was dry...

5) Removing the lower access panel reveals another tempurature setting and again some insulation...HOWEVER, THIS INSULATION IS WET TO THE TOUCH...

6) There is a faint "water running" sound we can hear from the unit...

7) Its a Rheam "Standard" Water heater, and runs about 58" tall...It was here when we bought the house 3 years ago the unit was estimated to be 10-15 years at least...

Ideas, comments?

Is it repairable?

Is it best to replace it?

Thanks!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-20-2008).]

#243024 - 09/20/08 06:22 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You need a new one. 10-12 years is now considered the average life-span for a waterheater. If yours is over 10 years and possibly close to 15 it should be replaced. Your tank is leaking on the bottom (one of the most common places that you find the leak on an aged water heater as well). Your tank is cracked or fractured. Repairing a 10-15 year old tank could cost as much as a new one.

We just replaced ours last year... Our unit lasted almost 20 freakin years (how I don't know, but according to the date installed it was nearly 20 years ago). They're not making them like that anymore though.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#243025 - 09/20/08 06:28 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
Dnj Offline

get a new one asap before winter sets in.

#243026 - 09/20/08 06:49 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
get a new one while you have a choice and before it's a late night service call to stop the flooding.

#243027 - 09/20/08 07:04 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree with the responses here. In my area, anything approaching over 10 years is overdue, probably due to the heavy mineral content of the water. I have all the filters, etc, but ... about every 8 years or so I change my hot water heater.

I recomemend replacing it ASAP, because it can get a whole lot worse in a hurry.

AJ

#243028 - 09/20/08 10:42 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hot water tanks used to come with a 20 year guarantee. they now come with a 10 year guarantee.
Even in order to get the 10 years out of them they do require some maintainence.
annually drain them and flush out all the mineral rocks in the bottom, by hooking up a hose to the drain faucet.
Replace the Annode rod every year or so and even better is annualy. it is there to be eaten up by the electrolysis instead of the bottom of the tank. that rod is usually only about 10.00 and maybe 15 minutes to change it.
Bebop

#243029 - 09/20/08 10:47 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Agree with the rest! Just replaced mine last year and it was 14 yrs old! I was told that I was lucky it lasted that long.
Whwn they were made out of copper they could last "Forever" but we all know what that would cost today!

#243030 - 09/20/08 11:47 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
UPDATE

UPDATE: Wife & I went to the neighborhood Lowe's (We live north of Dayton, OH) and scanned what they offered.

We wound up with a Whirlpool 50 gallon (up from 40 gls.) roughly 5 inches wider and 10 inches shorter, which is nice...
http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/products/electric/details.php?recordID=1243

12 yr. warranty, two 4500 watt elements, 20.7 Gallons per hour recovery, 3 inches of insulation and an energy factor of .95. (Not sure how good that is but its the highest rating they offered..)

Also features "Energy Smart" self diagnostic controls that basically power the unit down (not off) when our habits for hot water are low...Also has 4 presets or modes we can use...

Self cleaning...

The unit sells for $339.99 plus tax....We purchased one that was a floor model and got it for $283.91 out the door...So, we saved almost $50 bucks...

Seems like a good solid residential water heater that should be more efficient than our previous one, plus last a good long while...

How did we do?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243031 - 09/20/08 08:25 PM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
'Ya Done Good!!!

#243032 - 09/21/08 03:29 AM Re: (OT) Water Heater Question...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
'Ya Done Good!!!

NO doubt about it.

I had one fail on a Friday night. $800 later installed. I know I got screwed on that deal, but when you've got water all over the place.......you don't go shopping for price

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online