Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243018 - 09/20/08 07:21 PM Re: ketron audya
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
I can't imagine Ketron going ahead and releasing the Audya at the astronomical price of $5,100. That's the street price I might add. It will have to be pretty astounding to make any dent in Yamaha T3 sales which will be flooding the market in two or so weeks.

You're sadly mistaken if you believe any instrument that costs in excess of $3,000 is going to flood the market. Tyros 3 sales will be good but by no means will they be stellar. Anyone who sells high end audio and music gear can tell you first hand that selling any instrument over $2,000 is not an easy task. Each increase in price makes it even more difficult to sell the item. With todays economy being so bad selling high end products has nearly become like a ghost town.

Ketron will have a difficult time selling the Audya but not because its not worth the money. The price range the Audya falls within already puts it out of reach of all but a few people who are willing to spend that kind of money on a professional product.

While many people will say that they will spend their money on a product that does what they need even if the price were higher, talk is cheap. There are already many fine TOTL arrangers available today that can do more than what the Tyros 3 can but I don't see many people stepping up to buy them. Why? Because they cost well in excess of $3,000. In this market PSR-S900's, PA-50's, and their like abound and for one simple reason, they are cheap and cheap sells.

I'd be interested to see a show of hands of anyone here who owns an arranger, workstation, or other TOTL keyboard that costs in excess of $4,000. I'll bet there are few of us. Now how many here own an instrument that costs in excess of $6,000, $7,000, $10,000 or beyond? Once you get into that realm there are but a few owners in existence.

#243019 - 09/20/08 07:59 PM Re: ketron audya
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Well...as good as the products may be...The level of ( lack there of) of support from both Wersi and Ketron IN THE USA is the reason I will not buy one.

If that changes...then we will see.
They just don't care about USA users.
And that's OK if that is there business decision.

Lee

#243020 - 09/21/08 08:25 AM Re: ketron audya
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
You are 100% on the mark Donny! The current status of the Audya is living proof! AJ is the "Whole" support staff?? Love their products though!

This mirrors my own thoughts....love the products but the support concerns me. NOT the ins and outs of playing it, but repair service. With my Roland, I can go right up the street, they pull out their schematics and have it back to me in a week (24 hours if I want to pay extra).

I never quite got a clear understanding of "what happens if a Ketron unit goes down?" Can any local repair shop fix it or does it have to go back to Ketron and ultimately to AJ?

That wouldn't stop me from buying, but I'd have to consider a MidiJay as a backup.

Comments, please, on what one is up against if a Ketron unit malfunctions?

#243021 - 09/21/08 09:29 AM Re: ketron audya
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Good question?? When the previous owners had it you could send it there (New York) or a repair center could call and get the schematics, I think? I have a dealer here locally, who is also a good friend, he would take care of any problem. To the point of those who own a "Major" name product ie. Roland, Korg and Yamaha you can go almost any where.
From what I have heard the new distributer (Brooklyn, NY) is reliable and very interested in the support and promotion of the Ketron brand.

#243022 - 09/21/08 08:23 PM Re: ketron audya
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
You're sadly mistaken if you believe any instrument that costs in excess of $3,000 is going to flood the market. Tyros 3 sales will be good but by no means will they be stellar.

What I meant by "flooding the market" was simply of Yamaha shipping their first bunch of Tyros3 to market worldwide. OTOH, the Ketron Audya (if Ketron ever releases it) will find a very limited audience; with one reason being that Ketron is a relatively unknown keyboard company when compared to the likes of the Big Three i.e. Yamaha, Korg, and Roland, and therefore they will find "limited" opportunity to introduce the Audya in large number 'anywhere' on God's green earth. The other reason is the astronomical price tag attached to the Audya, which contrary to popular opinion, will ultimately fail, in my opinion, to convince most arranger keyboardists to empty their wallets, bank accounts, and/or take out a 2nd mortgage on their homes to purchase one. There will be a few that do just that and proceed to get the Audya (if Ketron indeed actually releases it) , especially if it is the bees knees in form and functionality - and, of course, if it sounds stellar too. ME?? I will take a wait and see approach and if the reports come back that the Audya is indeed the arranger to beat all arrangers (including the T3, PaX2PRO, etc.) then I will wait until Ketron drops the price a couple grand or so and then probably proceed to snag one. I might have to wait 2 or 3 years before Ketron drops the price that much but as the old saying goes "I've got more time than money." And that goes for rest of us as well, especially if we all live to at least 100, eh? Besides, I think the only reason Ketron is charging an arm and "two" legs (and a left ear lobe) for the Audya is because of the problems they ran into while trying to perfect the new technology that will be one of the hallmarks of the Audya i.e. randomization of auto accompaniment. That, and introducing real Audio backing tracks used in conjunction with auto accompaniment.

Ketron, in my opinion, ran over budget "BIG TIME" and the only way to recoup such 'losses' is to gouge the consumer. I know, I know, it's a nasty job but somebody has to do it right? So that's why the Audya, in my opinion, is in the stratosphere price wise. I reckon they think that since Korg was able to get away with it (to an extent anyway) that they will try their hand and do likewise and hope for the best. We'll see if they succeed or not but I have my strong doubts. And I won't hold my breath waiting for the answer either.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-21-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online