SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#242946 - 09/20/08 10:33 AM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I refrained from mentioning the Barbetta Sona 31 because cassp noted that he was interested in staying under $300. Like many of us, I do music for a living, and I want to be certain that my tools are the best quality I can afford. I use the Sona 31 for my small restaurant gig and I chain a Sona 32 and the 31 for a larger restaurant that I do weekly. Of all the small combos that I've had over the years, Barbetta - IMHO - has the best range, and power per pound. I know that Donny didn't like the fact that the Barbettas are fan cooled. I've never noticed any fan noise and I paid close attention since Donny mentioned it in one of his posts. I only use the Barbettas for my regular small gigs - my main system is still the Bose stick
Ciao,
Jerry

#242947 - 09/20/08 10:49 AM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave-just picked up the little Groove Tubes unit yesterday. I'll use it tonight. Didn't know they made a sub. I'll check it out. this thing is pretty cool.

R.

#242948 - 09/22/08 11:57 AM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Dave-just picked up the little Groove Tubes unit yesterday. I'll use it tonight. Didn't know they made a sub. I'll check it out. this thing is pretty cool.

R.

Hi Russ,

Please do let us know what you think of the Space Station Mk II. To clarify, Groove Tubes does not sell a powered sup specific to the Space Station. Any powered sub should do the trick. I have a Motion Sound SW-15, which is probably way overkill for the Space Station, but with the Traynor K4, my amp rig is great sounding.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 09-22-2008).]

#242949 - 09/22/08 02:23 PM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, this little unit will work fine for a house job I've been on for more than 2 years. Piano in the MS-60 sounds better, actually. Plenty of volume. Not for every job, but relatively portable. I'm going to try it with a small mixer (an old mixpad 9) for use with a nylon guitar and two keyboards. Might even use an ARP effects unit to see how it sounds with a vocal mike.

I like it!

Russ

#242950 - 09/22/08 03:09 PM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
but with the Traynor K4, my amp rig is great sounding.

Best Regards,

Dave

I too, am a fan of the K4, which I purchased on Fran's recommendation. The unit had a small electronic problem which resulted from poor packaging for shipping (this is a common complaint of Traynor) but was easily repaired. When properly set up (channel 1) it makes my Nord C1 organ scream and more than enough volume to compete with acoustic drums and (jazz) guitar in a medium sized club setting. Although there IS a mic imput, I don't use it for vocals (seperate system). Modules, such as a Sonicell, sound good with it as well, with good seperation from the organ channel. A little klunky to carry but a great choice if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks.

chas

PS: Dave, really liked the band video with the "B". Good to see someone playing pedals for a change (I use the Roland PK7a with the Nord which works very well).

#242951 - 09/24/08 11:34 AM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
PS: Dave, really liked the band video with the "B". Good to see someone playing pedals for a change (I use the Roland PK7a with the Nord which works very well).

Thanks Chas,

I have retired my big organ for the far more portable XK Pro System (seen in some of the other videos). I had purchased the Hammond XPK200 but just can't get used to the short pedals. So I am in the process of building a set of MIDI bass pedals from an old set of original B3 pedals. The woodwork is complete and now I just have to install the electronics. Can't wait 'till I'm finished.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 09-24-2008).]

#242952 - 09/24/08 02:48 PM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The cooling fan in the Barbetta Sona 32C is a 120-mm computer fan that is very quiet and suspended on bungee cord so there is no vibration to the case and other components. The earlier 32s didn't have a cooling fan and sometimes overheated and cut out at higher volumes. A couple vents and an inexpensive fan from Dollar Store solved the problem.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242953 - 09/24/08 02:49 PM Re: What's your choice for a small combo amp?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Thanks Chas,

I have retired my big organ for the far more portable XK Pro System (seen in some of the other videos). I had purchased the Hammond XPK200 but just can't get used to the short pedals. So I am in the process of building a set of MIDI bass pedals from an old set of original B3 pedals. The woodwork is complete and now I just have to install the electronics. Can't wait 'till I'm finished.

Dave

I hear you with the short pedals. I'm still not completely comfortable with the PK7a, not to mention that they tend to "creep" (finally had to 'tie' it to the stand). Your midi-converted "B3" pedals sounds like an 'adventurous' project but at $2000 for the Pro XK pedalboard (plus expression pedal), I can see looking at an alternative solution. Good luck, and if you have the time, post a picture of the finished project (maybe with an explanation of how you use the tabs to trigger the midi notes). BTW, with me it's the weight, with both the organ and the pedals. I even resent the 34lbs that comes with the pk7a. That's 1 lb. more than the organ . For the record, I'm half-heartedly looking for a mint B3/122 for my home (for < 15k). I'm still working on getting Capt. Russ to adopt me .

chas

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online