SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#242916 - 09/19/08 10:59 AM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Don't get me started I've seen some really sh*%&y programs that convert midi to styles. If the GW's software will allow you to take that midi and duing the conversion control what goes here and there and more.., then I'll give it a thumbs up However.., does the software allow you to go back into the converted styles and make more detailed changes if some of the feel is lost during the conversion. Can you go back in and make really detailed changes?

Anyone know where we can get detailed info on what all the GW's software will allow you to do with a midi to style conversion? I'd really love to look at it.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242917 - 09/19/08 11:06 AM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Once again, the Roland MIDI import doesn't touch the MIDI file in any way, just uses it to load the style division.

I'd say yes, you HAVE been using some shitty software! I guess the difference is that Roland's tools aren't MIDI 'translation' software, it's simply MIDI 'import'. It doesn't make any assumptions, but leaves it up to you... Good if you know what you are doing, not so good if you don't (mind you, if you don't know what you are doing, best of luck! )

One thing Roland pretty much always gets right is MIDI files and how to edit and change them...

#242918 - 09/19/08 11:15 AM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
squeak_D Offline

That's great info to know right there.., and yes I have used some sh&$ty programs I'd really love to see the software for the GW's.

I still say that It's a big bummer that the GW-8's MFX are "real-time only" What if your solo instrument doesn't need the MFX, but one of our backing instruments in a user song is a distorted guitar and you need the MFX (Distortion).... Does you guitar part now have to suffer?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242919 - 09/19/08 11:32 AM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
Diki Offline

Actually, it's the same deal with the G70. MFX for realtime parts only. The FX for the song and style section is pretty decent, though, but send only, not insert.

There IS a workaround, though... you take the part you want MFX'd, run it out a separate out, back into the IFX (an independent full MFX block dedicated to the RCA ins) and Bob's yer' uncle!

You'll find these hardware routing restrictions apply to a LOT of arrangers, and even some WS's, as well. It's a drag, but not a deal-breaker, IMO

BTW, E80 DOES have two extra MFX FX blocks dedicated to Song and Style Parts. And an extra Master FX (EQ and 3-band comp) for independent compression of style and realtime Parts. Not too shabby... (for an arranger )

#242920 - 09/19/08 11:56 AM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
squeak_D Offline

Wow! I didn't know that about the G-70 Diki.... Good work-around though.

#242921 - 09/19/08 12:47 PM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
I'm not even going to post this video-demo of the GW-8 on my site. Horrible. The first few patches were "ok", but playing those accordeon-patches killed the whole instrument.

(Not that I care for accordeons though, but I know a great deal of arranger players use accordeons and organs a lot. So if you want to chase them away from your product, let this guy do the demo!)

I sure hope Roland CE can do a better job.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#242922 - 09/19/08 04:20 PM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
ocomain Offline

The new 3.0 version of the Style Converter software can now be downloaded from Roland and the only difference from the previous version (for the GW-7), are the extra Style variations that are available in the GW-8.

I currently own the GW-7 and have been more than pleased with its performance and utter simplicity. I really do like the GW-8 for what it is (a simple arranger workstation with great portability, polyphony and sounds) and was planning on its purchase...but after spending time playing around with Logic Studio and various soft synths, I am looking more towards a portable synth workstation like the Korg M50. I definitely do miss the Fantom S and X I once owned and the GW-7 was only meant to be a "filler" instrument until our finances changed, which they thankfully have! Still have to keep it tho' for the daughter, who loves to tickle the ivories when she visits every couple of weeks (she taught herself to play and she's in her mid-twenties!). I am using an Edirol PCR-50 with my computer upstairs and it really sucks but definitely better than nothing!

I am just ready to switch directions and try something different. Worst case scenario is that I'll use it for a year then move on but with the Karma possibilities of the M50, I don't think this is too likely. Should be fun!

Michael

#242923 - 09/19/08 04:49 PM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
squeak_D Offline

What's the software like for the GW-7....? How much can you do with it?

#242924 - 09/19/08 08:22 PM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
ocomain Offline

Squeak,

I've never actually used the GW-7 software because I bought the EMC Styleworks software (Roland version), which easily converts Styles from the other major arrangers, past and present. My appraisal of Roland's GW Converter software was from comparing the manuals of both versions (2.0 & 3.0). If you don't have anything else, it's definitely better than nothing...and it's free! With the huge number of MIDI files online, it offers a virtual goldmine of potential Styles.

Michael

#242925 - 09/20/08 12:00 PM Re: New Roland GW-8 Patch Demo!
Diki Offline

Look, here's the problem with converting existing MIDI files in a nutshell...

The file that needs to be used in a style cannot have ANY changes in it. However long the variation loop is for, that's how long the pattern must go on for without any chord changes...

Best of luck finding ANY MIDI files with no changes, without passing notes in the bassline or comping parts, and with four different sections with all the above that are usable as a building structure to make a usable style. From what I can make out, most of these lousy 'MIDI to Style' converter programs try to do this task automatically, usually to poor results. It is a VERY complex task, analyzing chord changes, and extrapolating what they WOULD be playing if no chord change had occurred. Beyond the scope of software, IMO.

This is a task best done by humans (and well trained ones, at that!), not left to some automatic process.

Prepare up the style divisions yourself, make sure that likely chord change boundaries don't have passing notes on them, prepare up alternative variations for minor modes, sevenths, diminished (whatever your arranger allows), prepare up major and minor intros and endings, and than import them to your style creator section of your arranger (or the 'blank slate' programs that the manufacturer provides), and note CAREFULLY which bar #'s are which divisions, and go from there...

That will lead to a FAR more successful conversion than leaving it up to any automatic process...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online