SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242754 - 09/16/08 02:05 PM Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I stopped in the Crab Trap (Somers Point, NJ) last Monday and was pleasantly surprised to see Uncle Dave performing. Apparently, the management extended the summer gig past the holiday. We had a pleasant visit in spite of the antics of my squirmy grand daughter. I must say that I was impressed with his sound rig - he had a little Radio Shack home sound system which adequately filled the room – just right for dining music. Of course, his vocals and keyboard work was great – wouldn’t expect anything else. I would love to hear him with the Bose system.
Dave and his Korg PA800 and and little home sound system was on a little stage sandwiched between several speakers, monitors, amps and a Roland keyboard. He said that Fran was appearing there later in the week and all that equipment was his. It was a stark contrast. Then again, I think that Fran was armed to do loud dance music rather than music for dinning.
Ciao,
Jerry

#242755 - 09/16/08 02:58 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've seen UD in action...just not playing music.

Lexington, Kentucky will NEVER be the same!
And, his "Kentucky Filly" just gave up and started seeing the University of Kentucky football team again.

"Crab Shack..."? Could there be another meaning there? It's not a medical treatment facility, is it?

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242756 - 09/16/08 05:48 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Dnj Offline

Everyone should catch the Uncle Dave show for sure....believe me you will learn many things about performing live with an arranger KB.... simply awesome!!

#242757 - 09/16/08 07:40 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What?!?!?!? My little, one-toothed wonder-gal is seeing the jocks again? That hussy!
When you comin' up to Philly, Russ? I mis ya, man! You have to meet the kids and see your stuff get played !

#242758 - 09/16/08 07:54 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Uncle Dave Offline

Almost forgot to thank you for the kind words.... it's always nice to see the "Zoners" !
P.S. Yeah, Fran leaves the stage a mess too!

#242759 - 09/17/08 11:09 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
captain Russ Offline

Hey, Dave...waiting for news that new product and packaging has arrived from Italy in Boston from my client before I can finalize my trip.

Really look forward to it when it happens.
And, folks, didn't see him on stage, but heard him "messing around" here, and I couldn't think of a bigger pleasure (well, maby one or two) than sharing a bandstand.

Dave is one of the good guys. And, the dude can sing and play.

Russ (got a strange itch) Lay

(P.S. mention any of the gushy good stuff above to anyone and I'll deny the HELL out of it).

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-17-2008).]

#242760 - 09/17/08 02:24 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been fortunate to see U.D. on at least four occasions, he's an outstanding performer, knows how to work a crowd, great vocals, and can play much better than most keyboard players. He has a right hand that is par-excellence! Damned I wish I was that young again.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242761 - 09/17/08 05:54 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Uncle Dave Offline

Man! This place is good for my self esteem!
I have so many positive memories of many of the fine performers here too. DanO was the first guy I ever heard play the most modern music on an arranger that didn't sound hoakey. DNj has a "smooth as silk" voice and the right stuff to keep a crowd on teh dance floor all night. Don masaon has that "Southern charm" that comes through loud and clear while he rocks the house, and there are simply too many more to mention now! ( The baby's here, and he's fussin' a bit )
To all the fine performers here - get out and share your self with the others - it's good for the soul and you GOTTA learn somethin' from watchin your peers ... we all have a little something to add to the pot, so get cookin' !

(Thanx again, boize!)

#242762 - 09/18/08 08:04 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
To all the fine performers here - get out and share your self with the others - it's good for the soul and you GOTTA learn somethin' from watchin your peers ... we all have a little something to add to the pot, so get cookin' !

Thanx for the kudos...Exactly Dave.......seeing each other perform is one of my favorite things to do. You, Me & Fran have had many fun tmes at each others gigs through the years absorbing little things all the time.I've also met in person, Dan O, AJ, Tony Mads, Gary D, Tom Cavanaugh, Ray Bastinelli, all great arranger players. I have many more on my "TO MEET LIST" & hopefully I will get around to doing so at this years end after the holidays also.

#242763 - 09/18/08 08:44 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
captain Russ Offline

No mention of ME? And I went out of my way to do Rockytop and my best George Jones and Johnnie Cash, just for YOU! OK, dude, that little Kentucky filly is MINE! Those welfare checks will help pay for that bottle of "shine" and the new Gut Bucket I've been a needin'.

Next time you come this way, my "puppy" will
have UD nuggets for breakfast.

SO THERE!

"Redneck (with a fine toothless new welfare momma) Russ

PS. No 2nd Bontempi for you, dude!

#242764 - 09/18/08 12:40 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I "introduced" DNJ to Dave some years ago. Donnie had bought a Technics KN5000 from me, and I mentioned to him that Uncle Dave was performing in his neck of the woods and that he hung out on the old SZ. Shortly after they met and the rest is history. Fran came along to help with the equipment and later began lip-syncing to home-made karaoke files just to fit in.

DonM

#242765 - 09/18/08 12:47 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Dnj Offline

Don.....yes sir I will always be grateful for that meeting & cannot thank you enough, it was many years ago & to this day I have had such good friendships with them & yourself amongst so many others like Gary D, etc... that has changed my musical life in so many ways. I will definitly & personally get my arse to Shreveport in the very near future so we can get together for a few days and have some fun also dont you worry!! Probably this January & I'll make Fran Tag along too since you have a few Roland arrangers laying around the club

#242766 - 09/18/08 07:34 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
travlin'easy Offline

shreveport is on my 2009 calendar of places to visit. Gotta' meet up with DonM and HankB again, do some pickin' and grinnin', drink some down-home margarettas and munch on some crawdads.

Cheers,

Gary

#242767 - 09/18/08 10:37 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Dnj Offline

Gary lets talk January road trip

#242768 - 09/19/08 06:36 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
travlin'easy Offline

January's out for me. I have two open slots of 7 days each, one in May and another in July. The rest of the year is booked solid. I'll call you tomorrow. Got a double today.

Gary

#242769 - 09/19/08 07:37 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Dnj Offline

Gary sorry buddy but I dont have that luxury.....so I guess its me & Fran headin' south baby!!! get the Gumbo ready!!

#242770 - 09/19/08 09:44 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Fran came along to help with the equipment and later began lip-syncing to home-made karaoke files just to fit in.

DonM

LOL You crack me up !

Russ, You know I love ya, man. I have sung your praises since we first met!
C'mon, now ...... give up that 2nd BonTempe!

#242771 - 09/20/08 04:53 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Ya know you mention the BonTempe when you guys first started talking about it I found one in a salvation army store, still in the original box,looked like brand new, for 3 bucks.
Had the keyboard that slides out or something like that. Anyhow sold it on ebay for 75 plus shipping.
If it wasn't for Dave and Russ I never even would have looked in the box.

#242772 - 09/20/08 11:05 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
captain Russ Offline

Dave, you know I think you're "cool as the drool on an Eskimo's tool..."

(Now YOU guess whether that's good or bad)!

Seriously, you're one of the reasons why I came here. It's the only site I frequent. Your visit was way too short, and a real benchmark for me. Came at a time when I needed to be around some good "heart on their sleeve" people.

And, guess what? You're're IT!

Russ "tonedeaf redneck" Lay

#242773 - 09/21/08 04:39 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
You guys are missing the boat!

Gee just book a civic center and promote a battle of the one man bands - Entertainment, dancing & fun for all over 45 - or is it 100, I can't remember what is a good age for this venue.

Please send me tickets and 3% of the gate LOL

Jerry

#242774 - 09/21/08 09:01 PM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
We'll have seafood gumbo and blackened alligator! Come on DOWN!
DonM

#242775 - 09/22/08 04:01 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Uncle Dave Offline

I would never do "battle" with my contemporaries here! I valus the friendships too much ... BUT ... A giant, jam session-everybody sits in kinda, non gig,no Midi thingee sounds good !

#242776 - 09/22/08 08:47 AM Re: Saw Uncle Dave in Action
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
DonM

Would love to be there but not possible at this time. The Connecticut deal sounds intriguing and thats only 8 hours round trip. Sometimes I hate Maine but not often.Then there is Foxwoods. Oh Oh got a lot of thinking to do.

Jumbo love it - The alligator I can pass on. Years ago there was some place here in Maine the sold Allegator Burgers - They said it tasted just like hamburg. I save a lot of money and went and bought a real hamburger.

"Value freindships" to much Ahh the advantages of not having freinds.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online