SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#242710 - 09/16/08 09:28 AM Korg DNC Official Demos
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
I found these demos in the support forum of the German Korg distributor. They are official demoes made by Korg Italy and they show the expressiveness of the DNC voices in the upcoming OS 2.0 for Pa800/Pa2X:

http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/GuitarDNC.mp3

http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/StringsDNC.mp3

http://www.mister-music.de/demosongs/TenorSaxDNC.mp3

You can read the original forum post here . It also contains a few screenshots.

Kind regards,
Tommy

[This message has been edited by TommyF (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242711 - 09/16/08 09:56 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Impressive.

#242712 - 09/16/08 10:10 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW! Did I read the info on another post related to this that this new OS upgrade including these voices is an edit of the "existing" sounds and requires no loading of samples?????
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242713 - 09/16/08 10:25 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
YES...NO loading of samples..is required however I don't know if the demo's use the original samples or user samples...

WOW...that SAX! I am going to love this!

Plus you can use the technology to make user voices your self, it it all exposed to the user, not hidden technology for only Korg.

Lee

#242714 - 09/16/08 10:31 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
squeak_D Offline

I have a feeling those voices were edited using the internal patches. All those demos screamed of KORG sound. I too thought that sax was interesting. Strings were great.., but I'm not surprised there as Korg (especially in the WS department) has always been held high in string patches.

The OS release is going to be interesting for sure. Korg is great in that they leave so much room for additional features via OS upgrades that require no hardware updates in order to use them (and they're FREE). Plus being able to create these types of voices yourself is very cool.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242715 - 09/16/08 11:06 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
I took the liberty of translating the posting of Jurgen Sartorius for those of you who don't understand German: (So what follows is NOT MY WRITING! It is a translation by me of the message on http://foren.musik-meyer.net/korg/index.php?t=msg&th=6131 )

Hi All,

Just came back from the Musik Mayer Hausmesse in Marburg, where I had the chance to look at the new OS2.0 for the PA2XPro and PA800. What I most certainly have to tell you before loads of questions will arise: I was most impressed by the new DNC-sounds (Defined Nuance Control)!

Let me explain: A sound can consist of 16 different sounds (oscillators). Korg has added functions that can trigger these oscillators in various ways. For example by playing Legato, by Aftertouch, by using the SoundControl- or EC5-buttons, or at random, or in preset order...
We all know Legato, but now you can control the way the effect works: long legato, or shorter...

Using the sustain pedal you can add sounds to the patch: saxophones, guitars, trumpets, all with legato-functions, valve-noise, breathnoise and of course the extra sounds you already assigned to the buttons mentioned above. And everything can be editted, every detail of the sound!

Also, the random function of additional noises to the voice is very useful. For instance, the guitar sound consists of 12 different 'noises' that create a very life-like playing style when added at random.

Guys, let me tell you this: after I heard this for the first time, I couldn't get the smile off my face anymore.

Organs with monophonic percussion, truly 'ready' (random) synthsounds, triggering timpani with the benders, I could go on endlessly...

To all MIDIfile users:

Us Korgies knew before: Having TWO midiplayers is better than having just one. And now they added an cool and above all easy search function to it!

Just enter the search phrase (for example 'ROCK') and in an instant the display will show you a list of all MIDI's, MP3's and other data containing the word "ROCK". This means: no sorting anymore, just put it all on the harddrive and always find it again. Cool, isn't it?

And of course the cool note-display. Every track can be made visible with a simple click and can be transposed within the octave. Lyrics, chords and note names can also be displayed. You can't change the layout of the display but "Hello?!?!" We have note-display! That already is cool enough!

Many small and more detail-improvements can be found on http://www.korgpa.com . Routing MP3 to a seperate OUT for example, and much more.

Be sure to be ready to download this new OS once it's available!

Regards,
Jürgen Sartorius

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM http://www.keyboardforum.nl

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 09-16-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242716 - 09/16/08 11:56 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
squeak_D Offline

Sweet Mary....., up to 16 Osc per patch! WOW! Can you set velocity curves between ALL 16 Osc's? Man, with 16 Osc.., and depending on the number of velocity curves you can set.., with this new OS Korg owners will be able to use the internal presets and create some AMAZING custom voices.

I've been wanting to add an inexpensive arranger to my set up..., but the more I look into it.., and with this latest OS upgrade I just may have to say the hell with it and buy a PA-800. Then I'll tell the wife that I'll get no Christmas, Father's Day, and B-Day gifts for the next 5 years

#242717 - 09/16/08 12:14 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

This is great news.....
so Squeak are you getting a Korg now you sound very excited

#242718 - 09/16/08 12:57 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
squeak_D Offline

I think I just might have to Donny. With all the tweeking you can do with the Korg PA series it would only make sense for me to have one. Now with this latest OS update..., man "tempting" doesn't even begin to cover it for me

I've always felt the PA's were the closest thing to the Hybrid arrangers.

#242719 - 09/16/08 01:09 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Are these played live, or are they preprogrammed to include the articulations?

Forget the tenor sax a second, would Yamaha please listen to the drums behind it?

#242720 - 09/16/08 01:13 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
burkels,
thank for your translation! i was thinking how nice would be if someone did that!

new DNC does sound impressive. and if all of these are done with no extra samples... what can i say? korg really took a big step forward!
well done!

#242721 - 09/16/08 01:38 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So no implementation of intervallic recognition?

The legato recognition is powerful, and the random and cyclical choices seem interesting, but in truth I was hoping for the intervallic rules more than the latter two...

I think it's one of the strength of the SA system. Make an octave jump, it plays one set of samples, play a third and you get another... That's how many acoustic instruments work. The further you go from the note you are on, the more disruption to the airflow, or the more the bowing/picking/fingering has to change, etc., and those sounds are utterly different from the sounds you make going to closer notes.

Oh well... Perhaps something for Korg to work on for a future upgrade.

#242722 - 09/16/08 01:43 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
YES!
Burkels, Thanks very much for taking the time to do the translation and sharing it with us.
Ciao,
Jerry

#242723 - 09/16/08 02:14 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Wow! Tommy, thanks for posting this, and Burkels for the translation.

Graham

#242724 - 09/16/08 04:02 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Are these played live, or are they preprogrammed to include the articulations?

Forget the tenor sax a second, would Yamaha please listen to the drums behind it?

Hi Chony

Don’t dismiss the new Tyros 3 drum kits till you have heard them live.

Bill

#242725 - 09/16/08 04:47 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Where have I heard that one before?

#242726 - 09/16/08 04:53 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Sweet Mary....., up to 16 Osc per patch! WOW! Can you set velocity curves between ALL 16 Osc's? Man, with 16 Osc.., and depending on the number of velocity curves you can set.., with this new OS Korg owners will be able to use the internal presets and create some AMAZING custom voices.

I've been wanting to add an inexpensive arranger to my set up..., but the more I look into it.., and with this latest OS upgrade I just may have to say the hell with it and buy a PA-800. Then I'll tell the wife that I'll get no Christmas, Father's Day, and B-Day gifts for the next 5 years

Squeak, love your enthusiasm for the Korg!! Glad I own a Pa2xPro, I've been mighty happy with this board.

Tommy thanks for posting and Burkels on the translation.

Bill, I'm also anxious to read your review of the Tyros3. You gotta love the drums on that sax demo as well.

#242727 - 09/16/08 05:47 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
leeboy Offline

So... I don't think we know yet...it may have intervallic recognition?

Burkels Thanks a lot for the translation, it is VERY interesting.

Rob at the Korg forum said in the forum posts he heard a couple of the other sounds and said they are super also...sure would like to hear some more!

We'll see...
Lee

#242728 - 09/16/08 06:23 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Who else besides Bill went to Pakefield and heard the Tyros3 drums live??

Let me point out that Yamaha has posted a few demos of the new T3 drum kits and truthfully they sound maybe a teensy-weensy better than the T2 drums in my humble opinion.

OTOH, Korg puts out these new DNC demos and the drum kit in the background sounds MUCH better than the T3 drums in my opinion.

My point being that if that's the best demos Yamaha can muster for their all new T3 drum kits I have a REAL hard time believing they will sound magnificient when hearing them Live as Bill is suggesting. It just doesn't make any logical sense in my opinion. Unless this is a ploy by Yamaha to initially "deceive" the public by way of the demos, where they could have "dumbed" them down on the demos to create the "illusion" that they are typical Tyros drums. Then when the T3 hits store shelves and people suddenly realize the drums are indeed magnificient as Bill implies, and when word gets out the buzz will start all over again and Yamaha possibly gains many more sales of the T3 because of their shrewd marketing ploy.

I still don't buy it though. I think what we're hearing with the online T3 drum demos is similar to what we're going to get when people hear the T3 in person. Good try though Bill.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242729 - 09/16/08 06:59 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I thought the Korg sax was great...but the edge goes to Yamaha SA sax that was posted a couple days ago..

BTW: I didn't think the Korg drums were that great...

Just my old ears opinion..

#242730 - 09/16/08 07:26 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

Does anyone think the Sax/drums demo was GREAT?

#242731 - 09/16/08 07:30 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is another demo...guess what it is..
http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlBblRnQ3RENlRIRGc9PQ

#242732 - 09/16/08 07:42 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Does anyone think the Sax/drums demo was GREAT?

Not THAT great... More present, and drier than Yamaha demos in general (which helps) and they sound less compressed (but whether that is due to DSP compressors or the innate samples themselves on the T3, no-one yet knows).

But, on the whole, I still give the nod to the SA saxes, whose believability in rapid runs and arpeggios still makes me sit up and go 'I gots to have one of these! (when they bring out a 76 )'. That exaggerated ultra slow vibrato didn't quite work in parts of that Korg demo (other than to make it sound like a realistic BAD sax player!), but, of course, that's only the first thing I've heard, so the jury is still in session...

Strings were strong in the violins, but weak in the cellos, as per realism of bowing, IMO.

The guitar DID, I think, equal the SA guitars, at least in the demo. It remains to be seen whether this is unedited playing, or tweaked afterwards, though. Until we get our hands on this update, and actually PLAY it (or listen to user playing demos), once again the jury is out as to whether they are as PLAYABLE as the SA guitars, which we have heard users play many times.

And, I guess I'm basing my 'what, no intervallic rules' comment on the premise that if it DID do these, they would have been trumpeted as loud as the other features. I hope I'm wrong, but not betting on it!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242733 - 09/16/08 09:52 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Fwiw, and now that you ask, I thought the sax was awful. The drums were okay..strings, typical Korg and not that much different to whats already available, but the guitar absolutely shone..Superb.

Dennis

#242734 - 09/17/08 04:03 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
ptram Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So no implementation of intervallic recognition?

Yup, intervallic recognition is there. So, different samples can be triggered by playing different intervals.

Best,
Paolo, KI

#242735 - 09/17/08 06:08 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Best,
Paolo, KI

KI=Korg Italy

#242736 - 09/17/08 06:25 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Strings and sax are pretty good, guitar is excellent.

Drums in sax demo too bangy...if that's "live" sounding, then I can do without them, thank you.

I much appreciate the MP3s, Tommy...I never get to hear Korg's arrangers...not sold in my region.

Ian

#242737 - 09/17/08 06:46 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Jerry T Offline

I certainly hope that all these wonderful features are included in the PA2XPRO module.
Ciao,
Jerry

#242738 - 09/17/08 07:04 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Drums in sax demo too bangy...if that's "live" sounding, then I can do without them, thank you.
Ian

I also thought the drum set sounded a bit "SHELLY" & hollow to my ears on the Demo....but what actually is this OS upgrading sound wise that isn't already on the keyboard.....the Pa series already has some great sounds & styles 9although) not enough of them) IMO they should really concentrate & add another 50 styles or more for players this is where its lacking.

#242739 - 09/17/08 10:40 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Yup, intervallic recognition is there. So, different samples can be triggered by playing different intervals.

Best,
Paolo, KI

Excellent news. I think you should trumpet this feature more than you have...

Mind you, of course, a lot of it's effectiveness depends on samples that exhibit this behavior being available in the first place. Perhaps some extra ROM samples that work to the new system's strengths are forthcoming? Like the extra 600MB of samples Korg just gave away FOR FREE with the M3 update?

Yamaha built SA from the ground up with new samples to go along with the new triggering systems, rather than simply modifying the existing ones. It is, IMO, what made it so impressive out of the gate. It looks like Korg have put the software in place to compete, but haven't QUITE got around to tying it to new samples that would make it a serious threat to Yamaha. Hopefully, that can be addressed.

In the meantime, it is GOOD to be proven wrong...!

#242740 - 09/17/08 10:56 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
squeak_D Offline

Diki..., I think what's so impressive here to note is that Korg did this with the INTERNAL soundset and didn't have to load in any samples... For what they've done so far using only the presets is very impressive.., and quite promising for the future too.

I too love Yamaha's SA voices..., but Korg is taking it a step further by the amount of user control (for user tweeks) with these types of voices.

#242741 - 09/17/08 11:28 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

I completely agree. It's an amazing FREE upgrade (you listening, Yamaha?).

But I still feel that, until it is tied to samples specifically designed for the system, it is still trailing the SA voices. Except that guitar. What I believe has made this possible is all the extra samples that Korg ALREADY added, to make their Guitar Mode so effective. Leveraging them into the DNC (are Korg aware of the political ramifications of using those initials in such a divided political landscape here in the US? ) has made the guitar demo stellar.

The rest...? Not so much, yet... It is the combination of samples AND the DNC that makes the magic happen.

And yes, a BIG thumbs up for user control, but an alternative sample system needs alternative samples, pure and simple. Hopefully, help is on the way...

#242742 - 09/17/08 12:06 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The one thing Cool about the Korg PA series is if you don't like the underlying samples of let's say the SAX, but you like the Articulations, you can just go ahead and swap out the multi-samples and keep the articulations for a whole new voice.

I would love to hear that SAX demo with one of the other Stellar Sax samples in the Pa2.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#242743 - 09/17/08 12:17 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Ok, my 2 cents:
Sax: awful. Drums in that sample: reasonable. I would never tune my snare like that, however. But it has "punch".

Strings: Nice to try to capture the "stroke"-sound, but in a full ensemble you'd never hear it so "up front". So, "too much" in my opinion.

Guitar: Outstanding. Best ever.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#242744 - 09/17/08 12:20 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You do realize you can change the sounds of those Snare's in those styles as easy as 1-2-3 with different drums. That is the power of the Korg.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#242745 - 09/17/08 01:30 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

Roland makeup tools edit drums the best IMO.

#242746 - 09/17/08 06:41 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
leeboy Offline

JerryT,
PA2XPRO MODULE????? Huh!

I would love a T3 module too...

I doubt t ever happens.
Lee

#242747 - 09/17/08 07:31 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Jerry T Offline

My first choice would be a Korg PA module, My second first choice would be the T3 and my other second first choice would be a Roland G70 module ... it could happen.
For now, I'm sticking with my Midjay modules. As well, I often midi to the Korg PA800 with various controllers or midi accordion.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online