SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#242730 - 09/16/08 07:26 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

Does anyone think the Sax/drums demo was GREAT?

#242731 - 09/16/08 07:30 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is another demo...guess what it is..
http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlBblRnQ3RENlRIRGc9PQ

#242732 - 09/16/08 07:42 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Does anyone think the Sax/drums demo was GREAT?

Not THAT great... More present, and drier than Yamaha demos in general (which helps) and they sound less compressed (but whether that is due to DSP compressors or the innate samples themselves on the T3, no-one yet knows).

But, on the whole, I still give the nod to the SA saxes, whose believability in rapid runs and arpeggios still makes me sit up and go 'I gots to have one of these! (when they bring out a 76 )'. That exaggerated ultra slow vibrato didn't quite work in parts of that Korg demo (other than to make it sound like a realistic BAD sax player!), but, of course, that's only the first thing I've heard, so the jury is still in session...

Strings were strong in the violins, but weak in the cellos, as per realism of bowing, IMO.

The guitar DID, I think, equal the SA guitars, at least in the demo. It remains to be seen whether this is unedited playing, or tweaked afterwards, though. Until we get our hands on this update, and actually PLAY it (or listen to user playing demos), once again the jury is out as to whether they are as PLAYABLE as the SA guitars, which we have heard users play many times.

And, I guess I'm basing my 'what, no intervallic rules' comment on the premise that if it DID do these, they would have been trumpeted as loud as the other features. I hope I'm wrong, but not betting on it!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242733 - 09/16/08 09:52 PM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Fwiw, and now that you ask, I thought the sax was awful. The drums were okay..strings, typical Korg and not that much different to whats already available, but the guitar absolutely shone..Superb.

Dennis

#242734 - 09/17/08 04:03 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
ptram Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So no implementation of intervallic recognition?

Yup, intervallic recognition is there. So, different samples can be triggered by playing different intervals.

Best,
Paolo, KI

#242735 - 09/17/08 06:08 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Best,
Paolo, KI

KI=Korg Italy

#242736 - 09/17/08 06:25 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Strings and sax are pretty good, guitar is excellent.

Drums in sax demo too bangy...if that's "live" sounding, then I can do without them, thank you.

I much appreciate the MP3s, Tommy...I never get to hear Korg's arrangers...not sold in my region.

Ian

#242737 - 09/17/08 06:46 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I certainly hope that all these wonderful features are included in the PA2XPRO module.
Ciao,
Jerry

#242738 - 09/17/08 07:04 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Drums in sax demo too bangy...if that's "live" sounding, then I can do without them, thank you.
Ian

I also thought the drum set sounded a bit "SHELLY" & hollow to my ears on the Demo....but what actually is this OS upgrading sound wise that isn't already on the keyboard.....the Pa series already has some great sounds & styles 9although) not enough of them) IMO they should really concentrate & add another 50 styles or more for players this is where its lacking.

#242739 - 09/17/08 10:40 AM Re: Korg DNC Official Demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Yup, intervallic recognition is there. So, different samples can be triggered by playing different intervals.

Best,
Paolo, KI

Excellent news. I think you should trumpet this feature more than you have...

Mind you, of course, a lot of it's effectiveness depends on samples that exhibit this behavior being available in the first place. Perhaps some extra ROM samples that work to the new system's strengths are forthcoming? Like the extra 600MB of samples Korg just gave away FOR FREE with the M3 update?

Yamaha built SA from the ground up with new samples to go along with the new triggering systems, rather than simply modifying the existing ones. It is, IMO, what made it so impressive out of the gate. It looks like Korg have put the software in place to compete, but haven't QUITE got around to tying it to new samples that would make it a serious threat to Yamaha. Hopefully, that can be addressed.

In the meantime, it is GOOD to be proven wrong...!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online