SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242463 - 09/12/08 01:46 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If the SA type improvements are any good, surely that alone should have Korg owners dancing in the streets!

For a FREE upgrade, that's a hell of a major feature. One that, when Yamaha did it (T1>T2) it cost all the Yamaha users a new keyboard to get...

Me, I want my Chord Sequencer back. But when I don't get it, it doesn't stop me from being grateful for the per-Part parametric EQ I DID get with OS3...

#242464 - 09/12/08 02:00 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Nothing exciting to me, it sounds like a knock off of yamaha so they can try to sell more keyboards as where they haven't sold as many as yamaha. Many of there styles are copied from the PA80 and a few even predate back to the i3. They should have updated or provided new styles for free or purchase. There latin section, IMO is the worst I've heard. The SD1 when through a upgrade, but atleast they provided new styles and the new sounds that was installed with the update. Sorry no korg for me, until they really come out with something that actually sounds good.

#242465 - 09/12/08 02:11 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
well it sounds like a fairly feature packed upgrade to me !!! and it was free...... I dont see any grounds for complaining and i dont own the PA2X and probably will not buy one either. But lets hear some demo's and see what the new SA type voices can actually do and how many of them are in the keyboard .

#242466 - 09/12/08 02:15 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am amazed...

So they are playing catchup to Yamaha with the SA thing... Is this a BAD thing? I mean, a feature that helps you play sounds more realistically?

Where is the downside to this?

If Roland added this to my G70 for free, do you think I would slam it and bitch simply about not getting my Chord Sequencer?

#242467 - 09/12/08 02:16 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Well having had the Korg for a couple months, I have to say the reason I bought an Arranger instead of a Workstation is STYLES....So I sold it. The greatest operating system computer in the world without software is very limited in its usefulness. AN arranger without a ton of styles is the same. I would have rather seen Korg develop 2000 more styles than an upgrade.

there just isn't the library out there there is for the Yamaha. I could have just bought an M3 for the Sounds and arpeggios and bought midi sequences..

I liked the sounds generally but the Yamaha has better acoustic sounds. The drums are nice on the Korg though. The learning curve is higher with the Korg to take complete advantage of what it can do.

Since we are dealer for Yamaha and now Korg I can get any keyboard now for 10% under cost. I have already ordered the Tyros 3 and will probably pick up a PA800 as well and try to get the Yamaha style sequences to play on both.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242468 - 09/12/08 02:40 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I am amazed...

So they are playing catchup to Yamaha with the SA thing... Is this a BAD thing? I mean, a feature that helps you play sounds more realistically?

Where is the downside to this?

If Roland added this to my G70 for free, do you think I would slam it and bitch simply about not getting my Chord Sequencer?

You would if you found out NONE of the myriad requests for fixes, YES fixes, not improvements went unheeded, that the thing sounds good as it is, and adding "Nuanced" sounds is probably the last thing it needed.

It still cannot be released because it freezes the keyboard when loaded!!!

It will not be available, at this stage, until the end of November (Audya anyone??)

The thing is Diki, they haven't fixed what NEEDED to be fixed.

"Make sure the underlying surface is sound before applying the top coat"

I'm not saying what they have done is bad, just what they have not done.

It would be like Roland giving you a new organ sound (even though the ones you have are good) but still leaving the glitch in the transition from solo keyboard to a style, or whatever that fault is on the G70

#242469 - 09/12/08 04:23 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man, you guys are really funny at times... Acting like Korg and the others have to do things to CATCH UP to Yamaha and do it via OS releases. If Korg has somehow included patches in an OS upgrade to compete with the Yamaha SA voices..., that alone is huge considering when Yamaha owners upgraded to get those SA voices on the T2 it cost them over THREE GRAND and Korgs doing it FREE.

Please.., Yamaha does the same damn thing in terms of "catching up" to the others via OS updates. They released a Motif XS OS update that added features to it that were selling points on the Fantom G. So.., Yamaha does the same dang thang.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242470 - 09/12/08 04:37 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Squeak, yes I do agree with you and Diki, up to a point.

It is no small thing what Korg have proposed, mind you its not done yet, as the OS wont be out til, ??November??. But it will be a great addition to the sound base.

My argument is NOT the good stuff they have done, but ALL the things that are well-documented at the forums that needed fixing.

And these things Korg said, well strongly hinted at anyway, they were looking at to include as OS fixes for the next update.

None of these were addressed in this OS update, UNLESS Korg are going to release further details about the "Fix" part of the OS update later.. But this I doubt.

That is all I am arguing about. Whats been left out.

Dennis

#242471 - 09/12/08 04:46 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Dennis..,

I think Korg will address those things.., BUT at the moment at least IMO.., I would say this latest OS release is clearly to challenge the Tyros line (for the moment though).

Korg couldn't let Yamaha release their new top arranger without first giving them the finger I would hope Korg IS working on an OS update to fix real issues for player too.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242472 - 09/12/08 05:21 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK....slow down a little...I think the announcement , being marketing oriented addressed new functions only...

I have to believe that any issues that can be reproduced WILL be fixed AND a new musical resource file will be included that has new sounds using the new (SA Like) features and new styles...

No that wasn't specificaly said, but I hope that's the case.

I am happy with the new stuff...and I hope they just didn't get detailed about everything that will be done in the annoucement.

If that is true...the annoucnement was poorly written!

Lee

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online