Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242453 - 09/12/08 10:09 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
One of my primary issues with the PA800 was the lack of available styles, particularly Country/Western. Even in the other genres, there just seemed to be a lack of variety in the style selections. Some of them were very good though.
DonM

Don I know where you're coming from. I'm disappointed they have not added more styles. That's not to say I won't keep the Korg PA2xPro.

#242454 - 09/12/08 10:15 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Wowee.

Korg's software update is as big a leap as Yamaha's keyboard upgrade.

Since I own a both the Korg and Yamaha, I am now happy and sad at the same time...

Chony

#242455 - 09/12/08 10:41 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
So Chony

LOL, so at the end of the day, it's status quo for you??

Al

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Wowee.

Korg's software update is as big a leap as Yamaha's keyboard upgrade.

Since I own a both the Korg and Yamaha, I am now happy and sad at the same time...

Chony

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#242456 - 09/12/08 10:43 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Steve,

It would be nice to have great styles to go along with the great voices and hardware features. I guess it's all a matter of trade-off; you really can't have it all.

I am holding out hope that Korg releases new styles and sounds along with OS 2.0 as they traditionally have been known to do.

Right now, I would still purchase the Pa2 over the Tyros3 despite the style issue. I've been able to find the right style for the right song so far.

Al

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Don I know where you're coming from. I'm disappointed they have not added more styles. That's not to say I won't keep the Korg PA2xPro.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#242457 - 09/12/08 11:10 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yamaha folks..see how a "free" update can add to the value of an instrument...Korg and Roland lead the way...in this respect..

#242458 - 09/12/08 11:17 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Steve,

It would be nice to have great styles to go along with the great voices and hardware features. I guess it's all a matter of trade-off; you really can't have it all.

I am holding out hope that Korg releases new styles and sounds along with OS 2.0 as they traditionally have been known to do.

Right now, I would still purchase the Pa2 over the Tyros3 despite the style issue. I've been able to find the right style for the right song so far.

Al

Al I'm on that same page I would still purchase the Pa2 over the Tyros3. ?And I'm sure I'll appreciate the the score viewer feature. It's pretty much the same old story just not a perfect board out there.

#242459 - 09/12/08 11:26 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
DNC Defined Nuance Control?

Can you say SA voices

Being that SA is nothing more than a hyped up name for multi-samples and real time controls to switch between and articulate them, it was only a matter of time before another Manufacturer adopted a new name for it and called it their own. Along comes Korg to rain on Yamaha's parade. This technology has been around for well over 25 years and companies like Fairlight and Synclavier have incorporated this into their CMI and Synclavier workstations way back when.

It's nice to see Yamaha and Korg claim this to be new technology but the fact of the matter is its just old technology rehashed for the masses. At least they are finally catching up with Technology that's been around for so long and it only took them 20+ years to do so!

FYI... the Wersi and Mediastation both have extensive real time controls, advanced initial and aftertouch, and are setup to switch between samples and do real time articulations. Give a listen to Miroslav or Kontaks Orchestral demos and hear the nuances the samples have. When the likes of Yamaha or Korg can produce a sound like that then they'll be seriously moving forward in the technology department. Until then only the Wersi, Mediastation, or Open Labs can offer that type of sound and feature set in an arranger/workstation.

I commend Korg for doing something Yamaha has failed to do, major upgrades to their arranger workstation in software updates. FWIW... Wersi's been offering updates to their customers for nearly 20 years. If Yamaha were more forward thinking like Wersi and Lionstracs they'd have developed the Tyros 2 with enough horsepower to offer updates that were substantial, not incremental at best. Instead Yamaha utilizes processors that are antiquated and most often not upgradeable. Hence the introduction of their answer to a Tyros 2 software update, a $4,000 instrument upgrade named Tyros 3. It's funny how anyone here would blow a gasket if they had to pay $4,000 for a software update and yet they don't hesitate to throw down $4,000 when Yamaha obsoletes their Tyros 2 rather than upgrade it. Where's the logic or reason in that?

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 09-12-2008).]

#242460 - 09/12/08 11:55 AM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks for the info on the M3. I'm loving it even a little more now.

AJ

#242461 - 09/12/08 12:56 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
SA is nothing more than a hyped up name for multi-samples and real time controls to switch between and articulate them

Sorry, guys, but multi-velocity splits predates SA voices.

The thing that everyone forgets about (and which some of the old über-expensive things like the Fairlight and Synclavier could NOT do) are rules based INTERVALIC changes and control of different sample layers depending on legato or staccato performance.

Make an octave leap or more, get one set of samples. Make a third, get another. Play a note legato from the previous, get one set of samples (not just a monophonic version of the detached sample), play a detached line, get another. Play a polyphonic sound, and only get the release sample if you lift off ALL your fingers.

CONDITIONAL sample layers are a step beyond simple velocity splits, and don't require button or footpedal gymnastics to achieve (unlike most of the WS or VSTi versions). When it is done well, you simply play normally, and the underlying engine analyzes HOW you are playing, and does the sample selection for you.

That, at least to me, is pretty groundbreaking in a hardware keyboard

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-12-2008).]

#242462 - 09/12/08 01:20 PM Re: Pa2X/Pa800 OS2 Announced
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Well, what a totally UNDERWHELMING release..

As Yamaha did, its an incremental one at best, certainly not the "new keyboard" Korg were touting.

No fixes for the fills, NO change to the effects structure (you still cannot create a patch and have it load with the effects).

Still the same old antiquated text sytem for linked text files that ahs been around since OS 1 on the original PA1x...Who needs a midi track to be flashed on the screen as notation?? Not me , thats for sure. Just a better way to get chord/lyrics charts to display would have been fine.

MP3's out the sub-outs? Big deal, they could have done a LOT more, believe me, to the audio routing on the PA.

Still no external editing of any sort.

There are lots more areas, but I will not go on.

All of this upgrade really smacks of a big "Yamaha Tyros Catch-up" to me, trying to match Yamaha, and get a bigger slice of the home market, rather than address all the issues and operational tools asked for by users, well most of them anyway.

Way To Go Korg.....NOT!!!!

Dennis

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online