SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#242416 - 09/11/08 02:19 PM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
Beakybird Offline

As I am a PSR-S900 user who doesn't want the top of the line because a) it's too expensive and b) it doesn't have on board speakers, I am disappointed that the T3 doesn't have an improved vocal harmonizer. That means that two years from now, the PSR-S900 will have the same harmonizer. They aren't going to let that keyboard have a better vocal harmonizer than the T3. So it looks like I will have to wait at least five years before I get a better vocal harmonizer.

Beakybird

#242417 - 09/11/08 08:12 PM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So, when are you guys gonna' jump ship and buy a stand-alone TC Helicon VoiceTone-M? About the size of three packs of cigarettes, easy to use, sounds great, and it has built-in phantom power. And, because it's a stand-alone you can use it with any keyboard you wish.

While Yamaha's vocal processor has not changed in nearly a decade, it's not nearly as bad as some folks make it out to be. If you take the time to learn how to tweek and tune it, it's really not bad at all. There was a post on the PSR Tutorial site by Big741, Dan, who spent time learning how to make it sound great. He accomplished this by digging deep into the inner workings of the VH, then fine-tuned it until it produced vocal harmonies that were outstanding. He posted some songs on the site, then posted the instructions on how he accomplished this. Again, it requires some work, and most arranger users are not willing to roll up their sleeves and do what Dan did.

If anyone that's serious about using an arranger for performing, any arranger, they sure as hell would not buy it just because it has a great vocal harmony processor. Sure, it would be nice, but that's not why I bought any of my keyboards--ever. If you want great vocal harmonies, harmonies like Uncle Dave posted several years ago, you need to purchase a stand-alone vocal processor--this ain't rocket science, and all the bitching and moaning in the world will not get the manufacturers attention.

As for the MFD, even if it had a transpose feature, and the ability to grab third-party styles from the USB or HD, I seriously doubt that one performer in 50 would use this wonderful, onboard tool. Why? Mainly because not too many performers want to take the time to do the work it takes to program the MFD, or for that matter, tune any other feature. Hell, 9 out of 10 owners have never explored Yamaha's mixing console, tweeked their global EQs, or learned how to use the recording features. I would venture a guess that 6 of 10 owners have never taken their instruction manual out of the zip-loc plastic bag. Sure, the manuals are poorly written, but they're real tough to read while packed away in a plastic bag.

In some ways, the Internet has made some arranger keyboard users a bit lazy. Don't open a manual, leave it in the bag or box, then just post a technical question on one or more of the forums and someone that has opened the manual will usually be able to provide a solid answer. If you don't like the answer, then bitch, moan and groan, as if that will do some good. If that don't work, there's always a pissin' contest!

As for what the T3 can do, wait till it gets here, fire it up, put it through its paces, then provide an unbiased report of what you like and do not like, and why. Sure would be nice to read something along those lines.

Whoops! Almost forgot. Yes, it can play SMF and styles files at the same time--this feature has been around since the PSR-2000 became available. Though I don't know why anyone would want to do this.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 09-11-2008).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242418 - 09/11/08 09:03 PM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Guys -- well, I am disappointed with but not surprised by the answers to Donnie's questions. However, I was shocked by an answer to one of my concerns.... it doesn't look like the T3 styles will be compatible w/T2. YUCK. Ole Yamaha is at it again. I'm not sure how many "new" styles are on board. But I was hoping that however many new styles they offered on T3 would be made available to T2 users...perhaps Yamaha will offer the "T2 compatible" versions of any new styles they come up w/on the web site.

Y'all have a great weekend!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#242419 - 09/12/08 02:40 AM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
quote YPKO forum....

"Hi all,

Spoke to Yamaha tech this morning, I asked the same question, told me that harmonizer is the same as in Tyros2."

.... which was the same as the Tyros 1, which was the same as the 9000 which was the same as the 8000....

#242420 - 09/12/08 07:16 AM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Randy,

I'm fairly confident that as soon as those styles hit the airways, within days someone will have conversion software that will allow you to play the new T3 styles on your T2. Also, most of the styles WILL play on your T2 if they use the same style format in the T3. The difference would be some of the new voices would not play, thus the need for conversion software.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242421 - 09/12/08 07:26 AM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Gary's right..., the di-hard T2 owners will find a way to convert those styles , but as Gary stated there will be differences with assigned voices.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242422 - 09/12/08 07:51 AM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
Dnj Offline

quote YPKO....

"All I can say to everyone is that you physically have to hear this keyboard to believe it. I'm a sceptic also , however Yamaha have concentrated on renewing all the voces and creating 50 new styles and totally revamping the old styles WITH the new voices incorporated. The Intro's and endings etc have been changed in many cases also and so this is where the bulk of effort went into. There is also a Piano 'Octave' button [by the modulation wheel] so that you can now play the lower octave Piano Bass notes. The Organ 'Leslie' is operated by the mod wheel also in Drawbar mode- sweet!

Now off to see the Registick seminar.
More Later"

#242423 - 09/12/08 04:01 PM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
If you dont like the T3,you dont have to buy it.

Impuls.

#242424 - 09/12/08 04:53 PM Re: TWO TYROS 3 QUESTIONS....anyone?....
to the genesys Offline

"All I can say to everyone is that you physically have to hear this keyboard to believe it."
Wow! Where have we heard this before.
Perhaps in a discussion on another arranger?
Question, is the piano octave button that was mentioned in a prier post an octave button for the right hand part or is it a new feature that has not been on any other keyboard before?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online