SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242297 - 09/10/08 09:36 AM OT Have you guys seen this kid?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Check out this 14 year old kid.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYrq3551bw&feature=related

Hammer

#242298 - 09/10/08 10:43 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW!!!!!

t.

#242299 - 09/10/08 10:58 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
"Deep and sweet vocals mashed together"

Those subtitles had me rolling on the floor...!

#242300 - 09/10/08 11:47 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"all your hairs standing" INDEED!
DonM

#242301 - 09/10/08 12:31 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
GOODNESS! Man if that little girl was on American Idol.., Simon wouldn't know what to do with himself... Paula would cry her eyes out at every one of her performance..., and Randy.., the only thing you'd hear from him is DAWG...,DAWG, DAWG!

This girl is simply great. Amazing vocal range too.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242302 - 09/10/08 12:33 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
She was on Oprah last week. did a great job there also.

#242303 - 09/10/08 12:50 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
She was on Oprah last week. did a great job there also.

I don't enjoy it when a kid imitates an adult in singing. But that's just my opinion and it looks like I'm in the minority...

#242304 - 09/10/08 12:54 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
squeak_D Offline

Chony.., I'm curious now.... Why don't you like it when a kid imitates and adult singer. Personally I think seeing something like this shows some serious talent. For children at young ages being able to blast out a song with a set of pipes that you'd swear came from someone who has been doing it for years is very impressive.

It can't be easy for them as their voices are still developing too.... I think it's amazing to hear the girls do it.. The boys typically don't do it as well.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-10-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242305 - 09/10/08 03:48 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
Dnj Online   content

She'll be on American idol in a few years......funny how the audience knows what she's saying in Japan?

but this is how the song really goes!! oh Yeah!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05er2lEEXc&feature=related

#242306 - 09/10/08 04:01 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Chony.., I'm curious now.... Why don't you like it when a kid imitates and adult singer. Personally I think seeing something like this shows some serious talent. For children at young ages being able to blast out a song with a set of pipes that you'd swear came from someone who has been doing it for years is very impressive.

It can't be easy for them as their voices are still developing too.... I think it's amazing to hear the girls do it.. The boys typically don't do it as well.

I just think kids should be kids. When little girls start dressing like their teenage sisters for example, which I've been seeing more and more lately, I feel that they are losing out on the innocence and beauty of just being kids.

I understand if you don't agree.

#242307 - 09/10/08 04:23 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
mikeathome1 Offline

I kinda agree with chony, the thing is when she hits her late teens or early twenties what's she gonna do then? To me , right now, she's not singing she's imitating someones singing and style and sound.

The attraction is she's a kid sounding like an adult. When she is an adult can she hold her own against other adults or will she just go on imitating Whitney and Mariah?

Leann Rhimes had a hit when she was 14 and everybody talks about the 14 year old.
What has she done lately, I know she still has a successful country career but IMO she has not matched the success of "Blue" and that period.
AFAIK there has not been a "child prodigy" that has carried over the same level of success when they reached adulthood.

I could be wrong but I can't think of anyone.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242308 - 09/10/08 04:37 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
squeak_D Offline

I'm willing to bet she'll still hold it down as an adult. Many people seem to forget that many of today's DIVA'S were killer singers in their younger years and many of them had very grown up voices then.., and look where they are now.

#242309 - 09/10/08 04:46 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
mikeathome1 Offline

But I think many of the Divas spent years singing, and learning and developing their style. they didn't just stand up and get instant accolades because as a child they could imitate Whitney.

I guess I'm saying the difference is the kid that worked and studied and the kid that copied.

#242310 - 09/10/08 05:07 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
squeak_D Offline

You're kidding right....? I can't tell you how many times I've seen interviews where TODAY'S DIVA'S who when they were children gave credit to their (adult idols of the time) who they tried to replicate themselves. Ever wonder why a Diva today sounds kind of like a Diva from YesterYear...???

Today's young and upcoming stars are doing EXACTLY what today's popular stars did when they were kids... They had favorite singers, wanted to be like them, tried to sing like them..., and MANY became successful in their careers. Stars like Beyonce and A. Keys for example both in MANY interviews spoke of their adult idols when they were children..., and how they too stood infront of the mirror with a fake mic..., trying to sing like them.

It's good this child is singing a song like this.... How often do we hear on American Idol from all three judges that it takes serious guts to take on a song by one of the great Diva's and pull it off. This child is just 14 and did it..., and I've heard younger do the same. I saw a special with a young girl who loved Whitney, Beyonce, Keys, Mary J, and many others... I think she was twelve, and she did a Mary J song and blew the roof off the place. These artists not only inspired her, but help shape her into what she is today. We don't always learn to be better on our own.., sometimes we gotta look to the greats to learn a few things. Plus this girls voice sounded NOTHING like the original singer. It was clearly her voice and she wasn't replicating the singers voice.

#242311 - 09/10/08 05:33 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
WOW!...You can't learn that...you got to be born with it...

Wish I was...

Lee

#242312 - 09/10/08 05:38 PM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
Dnj Online   content

The vultures all wait on line for her......the talent means nothing its all about MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

will she end up a Whitney, Brittany, Selena or worse?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242313 - 09/11/08 12:58 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
AFAIK there has not been a "child prodigy" that has carried over the same level of success when they reached adulthood.

I could be wrong but I can't think of anyone.

Michael Jackson, anyone...? I know his life lately has been a travesty, but his childhood work is matched by his adult, as far as great pop music goes...

Stevie Wonder, perhaps? The little harmonica genius that grew up to show us that the word genius was bestowed in anticipation...

Judy Garland? OK, it;s getting weird, but this is too easy...

#242314 - 09/11/08 04:12 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
mikeathome1 Offline

But none of those people got famous for being a kid that imitates an adult singer.
They got famous for their own talent and hard work and yes, that carried on into adulthood.

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Chony.., I'm curious now.... Why don't you like it when a kid imitates and adult singer.

Even squeak said it "a kid imitates and adult singer." I wonder what she can do without imitating.
Maybe she's the real deal maybe not. Does she understand what she is singing or just imitating?
Time will tell after she loses the "for a kid tag", as in she sings good for a kid.

I see it in the music stores all the time a kid comes in that can play nice guitar licks, note for note off a record, but can't play a I IV V because he can't play anything unless he can copy it.
Is it musicianship if he doesn't know what he is playing?
If her only claim to fame is she sounds like an adult for a 14 year old how does that tag line translate when she's 20?
That's my only point. As Diki says about the dumbing down of music, if you don't have to learn your craft just imitate it.

But that's my opinion you don't have to agree maybe she'll make it and maybe we'll never hear of her again after she grows up.

#242315 - 09/11/08 05:06 AM Re: OT Have you guys seen this kid?
squeak_D Offline

Mike you're missing something... She's just singing the song (in her own voice)..., she's not imitating the singers voice. Many people try to actually imitate the singers voice. This little girl is singing this song in her own voice. She also doesn't sing it exactly like the record as she clearly adds some of her own flavor to it.. That is why I say the child has serious potential.

You've got to have a serious set of pipes on you to pull of songs by the great Diva's.., regardless of what your age is. Those songs so often were written strickly for the amazing vocal ranges they have..., so to be able to sing one of their songs and do it well shows great talent.

Also.., I've seen on TV interviews where some of today's Diva's were shown singing as children..., and they too were praised for their very adult vocal ranges..., and again many today pay their respect to those who inspired them..., those who they themselves tried to replicate and be like as young and budding singers.

Oh well... I guess we can agree to just disagree on the issue though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online