SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#242288 - 09/11/08 01:37 PM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
OK..., how about Mega Drums, Cool, and Sweet Kits

I do also see where you're coming from about drum being played from the keys by arranger players... I mentioned this issue on another thread about what I often find deters people from creating user sytles and that's having to record the drum parts which for some is extremely hard to do.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242289 - 09/11/08 02:15 PM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
miden Offline

Loc: The World
With all due respect Steve, Yamaha do this already with the drums on the Motif XS series.

Again, is it a case of one division not wanting (or being allowed?) to share technology with another?

Man if you guys put the XS drums into the Tyros, what a sound you would have then!!!

Dennis

#242290 - 09/11/08 02:30 PM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Multi-velocity, ambiently recorded drum sounds are the wave of the future... Strike that, they are the wave of NOW..

Some of the most popular VSTi's are things like EZ Drummer, Groove Agent, BFD, DFH2, etc., that combine automatic generation of drum tracks with fills, intros and endings etc. (because our WS and DAW brothers have just as hard a time as we do creating utterly convincing drum parts from scratch!), with drum sounds that are recorded with MANY different velocity splits, and with adjustable ambience.

The results of these plug ins are drum tracks you would be hard to spot as anything other than a live drummer. Dynamics is much more that an increase in volume, as far as a drum is concerned. The more velocity splits you have, the more realistic the sound, and with good programming the more realistic the groove.

Until arrangers embrace this approach (and even Roland have a long way to go to match BFD!) we are always hobbled from the start. Great drum grooves need great, dynamic drum sounds.

I think it is a mistake to go down the 'chopped loop' route, that Ketron seem to want to do with the Audya, when utterly convincing results can be had simply using better, more dynamic drum kits, and using the old reliable MIDI as it's driver. It's easier to edit, it's easier to create, and it's easier to change around completely. A loop is a loop... There's not a whole lot you can do to it.

But I think a lot of Yamaha's problems in the drum department are self-inflicted. I seem to remember someone (was it Gary?) posted a demo a year or two back that had the T2's drums pumped in the mix, and a lot of the mastering compression taken off. They sounded MUCH better. Not, unfortunately, quite as good as the Roland V-Kits, IMO, but a BIG improvement. Unshackle the T3, and possibly it can start to get cooking!

In the meantime, with 1GB of sample RAM available (any details about load-up times on the T3 yet?), the opportunity for someone to create a SERIOUSLY punchy TVN drum kit (or three!) with gobs of vel-splits awaits. It's just drums (little programming required). Surely SOMEBODY out there could fill this need...?

Toontracks, are you listening?

What he said. Especially the ambience part. Also, it is critical, imo, to have separate level controls (I do not mean varying the levels with velocity since velocity should be for various samples) for EACH drum in the kit. That's why I said there is a need for a gui drum screen to setup user defined drumsets. Position of the microphones should be variable on any drum to provide either close mic without bleed or more room ambience. It's the difference between CANNED drums and REALISTIC drums. And certainly the ability to randomize the drum hits in the loop. And ditto on the harmonizer comments although I fixed that problem years ago when I bought a TC Helicon Voiceworks.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 09-11-2008).]

#242291 - 09/12/08 06:50 AM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
squeak_D Offline

Yamaha could easily create those kis to load into the Tyros 3 Diki.... However, the most logical and cost effective thing for them to do is break down what ever wall they have between the workstation and arranger design teams.., and let them play together every now and then. Roland and Korg clearly do this as it's obvious by what the PA's sound set orginiated from..., and its carried over synth editing features... Plus Roland is clearly sharing not only between the two departments.., but even breaking bread with the drum department (as can be seen with the drum kit samples on the G-70)

Based on the demos of the kits I've heard so far (in the songs, and the solo demos).. The Motif XS still towers over the T3 with its drum kits. This is Yamaha's Pro Arranger Workstation for Pete's Sake! The easiest and most cost effective thing to do would be to carry some of those kits from the XS to the Tyros line.. Hell they already carry voices from the Tyros line over to the Motif series.... If the XS is worthy of those great sounding Tyros signature voices...., then clearly the (obvious strong support for the Tyros line by its users) should be enough to say that Tyros users should be (or ARE) worthy of getting some of those great XS sounds too..., especially at what price they have to pay to get the Tyros.

I can't imagine how many complaints would come from users if suddenly they had better quality acoustic and electronic kits on their Tyros.. I would love to hear a style on the Tyros that then had the acoustic kit replaced by a kit from the Motif XS. If Yamaha did that.., then backed off on the compression just a bit HOLY SH$&^ would that style POP!

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-12-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242292 - 09/12/08 07:08 AM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Steve,

I believe it is technically feasible to create SA drums, and compress and streamline the data to the point where the additional memory consumed would be minimal. I agree, however, that few if any user would utilize SA drums in the creation of styles. For me it's a mute point. I like the drum kits that already exist, but then again I took time to tune my registrations to where I like the overall sound.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242293 - 09/12/08 07:13 AM Re: Tyros 3 Open for Business
squeak_D Offline

Gary..., the hell with creating styles man How about some killer Super Articulated Drums that are part of the PRESET STYLES...

I think SUPER ARTICULATED DRUMS would be a very cool thing..., they could replace preset kits in certain SHOWCASED styles, and for those who do write their own styles.., they'd sure make one heck of a useful tool for them.

Steve is you read this again..., If you do create something along the lines of SA drums... no need to cut me a check Just ship me a shiney new PSR-S550 and we'll call it square Of course I'll lay claim to the Mega, Sweet, and Cool kits too..., again if that's the route.., just pack that S-550 up and send her my way

Just think of all the great names you could have for these kits. Like the "Mega Rock Kit" or the "Cool Jazz Kit" or the SA Big Band Kit....

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-12-2008).]

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online