SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242226 - 09/09/08 08:08 PM Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
It seems like the most common chord types are Major, Minor, and 7th. But when (and why!) did the Minor 7th chord overtake the Diminished chord in popularity and usefulness?

For example, Hal Leonard "EZ Play" type fake books contain only Major, Minor, 7th, and Minor 7th chords. But accordions, and chord organs made before the era of electronic instruments usually had Major, Minor, 7th, and DIMINISHED chords. One of the organ books I have calls the Diminished "chords of all work," and recommends occasionally substituting them to achieve a different sound.

So my question: Why are Diminished chords generally absent from simplified arrangements of modern music? Why do you suppose Yamaha and Casio chose the Minor 7th (instead of Diminished) as the fourth type of "single finger chord"? Did popular music change that much in the 1960s and 70s to favor the Minor 7th chord, and render the Diminished chord obsolete?

Thanks in advance for your responses! -Ted

#242227 - 09/09/08 10:56 PM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The 'dumbing down' of young players continues...

I think it must be a conspiracy by us 'old farts' to keep our jobs a little longer If we don't teach 'em to play, they can't take our gig

PS .... One Finger Chord systems are Satan's doing!

#242228 - 09/10/08 02:23 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was teaching keyboards, I always taught diminished seventh, rather than simple diminished chords. They are interchangeable with diminished chords in 99% of musical circumstances, and it means only having to learn *three* chords and changing the root/inversion as appropriate.

Cdim7 = Ebdim7 = F#dim7 = Adim7
C#dim7 = Edim7 = Gdim7 = Bbdim7
Ddim7 = Fdim7 = Abdim7 = Bdim7

How hard can it be to learn *three* chords ???

#242229 - 09/10/08 05:18 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I think it must be a conspiracy by us 'old farts' to keep our jobs a little longer If we don't teach 'em to play, they can't take our gig

I agree, but I think you mean the One Finger Chord system created by Yamaha or Korg. The Roland system is much better, all keys you make use of are musical OK.
And diminished chords (or augmented)are possible too, see Page 250 of the G70 manual.
Greetings
Peter

#242230 - 09/10/08 06:01 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
zuki Offline

Quote:

There are pros, who play all the chords with all the fingers, but there are those who play the best they can.

No harm in asking a question, based on a level of proficiency.

An 'old fart' in a nursing home asked me to set up song registrations for him in his Yamaha S700. He played his heart out until his death. He was the happiest one finger player I ever met

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 09-10-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#242231 - 09/10/08 06:34 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Hallo Zuki,
the problem are the wrong keys Korg expected. e.g. a)C7 = C3+B2, or
b) Cm = C3+Bb2.
Playing these keys Roland Chord Recognition is a) Cmaj7 and b) C7. What do you think about that. Right?
Cmaj7 and more does not exists in the Korg or Yamaha sytem, and the beginner never will learn how to play the right chords. Exactly like your happy player.
Greetings
Peter

#242232 - 09/10/08 06:40 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
.... One Finger Chord systems are Satan's doing!

Yep...the beginner may as well spend the time learning proper chords...it will surely pay off later when he/she runs into more complex ones.

Also, I am always glad to see when a keyboard supports inversions.

Ian

#242233 - 09/10/08 07:48 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I like diminished chords myself. Play them a lot. Diminished chords can add some flavor and nuance to an otherwise ordinary chord progression. I say = long live diminished chords! Along with all the rest of 'em of course.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242234 - 09/10/08 07:48 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yep...the beginner may as well spend the time learning proper chords...it will surely pay off later when he/she runs into more complex ones.

It's more than just learning chords, though. An understanding of harmony is key to understanding how all music works.

#242235 - 09/10/08 09:00 AM Re: Why Minor 7th, and not Diminished?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I appreciate the input so far. But why do the folks at Hal Leonard, etc. choose to use Minor 7th and not Diminished in their simplified arrangements? Are Minor 7th chords a better "musical approximation" of the full piano score / bass clef?

If you are stuck with an accordion or a chord organ that has dedicated buttons for Diminished chords (but not Minor 7th), are there any rules for chord substitution? Is it me, or did Diminished chords just fall out of favor during the 1960s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online