SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242033 - 09/08/08 09:14 PM TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

"The Tyros3 will be launched by James Sargeant at 11am Tuesday Sept 9.
Hopefully Baartmans performance Tuesday night will be made into a video. http://www.4shared.com/file/60537660/4ff8831c/pakefield_daily_events.html?s=1

Jerry"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-08-2008).]

#242034 - 09/08/08 11:22 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Let the yawning commence...

#242035 - 09/09/08 05:46 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Anyone?..........reports say its been released already this morning!

#242036 - 09/09/08 06:12 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
That`s the UK , they always get them first.

I think it will be a few more weeks before any US dealers have stock.

However I have been wrong before !!

#242037 - 09/09/08 06:20 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

#242038 - 09/09/08 10:05 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15362.0

Tonight exclusively on Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner from around midnight (UK time)...

Expect the following Tyros3 Goodies:

> Full massive in-depth review over 3400 words
> Over 50 sound samples including styles, voices, solo demonstrations and more
> New Images
> Video
> Tyros3 DVD Announcement (UK)

Spread the word

#242039 - 09/09/08 11:11 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15362.0

Tonight exclusively on Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner from around midnight (UK time)...

Expect the following Tyros3 Goodies:

> Full massive in-depth review over 3400 words
> Over 50 sound samples including styles, voices, solo demonstrations and more
> New Images
> Video
> Tyros3 DVD Announcement (UK)

Spread the word

cool should be interesting

#242040 - 09/09/08 02:06 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

[URL=http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15366.msg130701;topicseen#msg130701]http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15366.msg130701;topicseen#msg130701[/ URL]

From around midnight tonight (UK time), experience the Yamaha Tyros3 with exclusive information including a massive in-depth review by James Woodcock, new images, video and over 50 sound samples

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-09-2008).]

#242041 - 09/14/08 11:30 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Pretty good review
Sounds in the review are crap (Like all online demos) Play it live and it’s the difference between chalk and cheese.
If you have a Tyros1, then no user features you have set up can be used with Tyros 3. (Not even if you have converted them to Tyros 2 first)
More to follow

Bill

#242042 - 09/14/08 01:33 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hey people, I got the first one by changing the 2 to a 3 on my Tyros. Sounds the same to me. I am soooooooo happy
yeah, well I still gots to file off the sharp corners but I will get to that tomorrow
best to all,
Bebop

#242043 - 09/14/08 01:48 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
That's real funny Bill.

FWIW, I do hear some sound improvements on the Tyros3. Drums might not be one of them though.

We'll have to wait until the T3 hits store shelves and try it out for ourselves as the ultimate and only sure fire way to distinguish the true nature of the T3's sounds and to accurately distinguish the differences soundwise to its predecessor the T2. My guess is there will be quite a few sound improvements on the T3 but argumentatively not very substantial for the most part in my opinion. Although, I've been wrong before and this could be one more instance where I'm wrong again. We shall see... in about a month or two from now, right?

Best,
Mike

#242044 - 09/14/08 01:53 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Dont laugh at those prices I think the change to a T3 is a big concern for many T2 users & beyond.....they are asking is it really worth it?......what am I doing?......my wife is gonna kill me.....its still as close to a T2 should I switch?...what is the general consensus....good, bad, or Disappointed? The hype really melted down quickly & sadly & it hasn't even been demoed on the market yet. I hope its a winner.

#242045 - 09/14/08 04:29 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

It’s a complete package.
The SA2 voices have typically 400 samples per voice.
The Piano is from their top end Clavinova
The new Drum kits are from their top end drum machines.
Plus more

Bill

#242046 - 09/14/08 05:25 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bill,
i would have to say from those demos, the drum kits are still no where near the Motif XS drum kits...

Dont know why Yamaha arent using the same drum kits across the TOTL arrangers.

Its very frustrating!!

#242047 - 09/14/08 05:51 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nick's right Bill.., Those drum kits aren't anything like the Motif XS.... I'm tellin ya.., if Yamaha started making a few style demos and replaced the Tyros kits with some of the top acoustic kits they have on the XS.., and backed off on the compression the difference would be night and day.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242048 - 09/14/08 05:59 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep +1

Having just tried the XS for a couple of weeks, the drums are not even in the same room..Now add the XS kits to the T3, EXACTLY as they are, coupled to the SA 2 stuff, and a HUGE WOW factor will be evident..Speaking personally, I would even put up with a 61 note keyboard.

Dennis

#242049 - 09/14/08 08:28 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

why not Midi them BOTH T3/XS

#242050 - 09/14/08 10:06 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Yep +1

Having just tried the XS for a couple of weeks, the drums are not even in the same room..Now add the XS kits to the T3, EXACTLY as they are, coupled to the SA 2 stuff, and a HUGE WOW factor will be evident..Speaking personally, I would even put up with a 61 note keyboard.

Dennis

Uuum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I went through the XS kits, and they are VERY similar to the Tyros kits. The snares on their ready made kits are very plastic. However the XS has one patch with over 50 snares on it so that you can make your own drum kits -- so that's a whole different story. But it's still a processed sound even on the XS, imo.

I know nobody has said this, but I think its bc Yamaha fans think the Motif is god. But I was quite unimpressed. Somebody told me today that Oriental and Western people think music with different parts of the brain. I thought he was crazy, but I'm starting to think he's right. Maybe Japanese people just listen and appreciate differently...

#242051 - 09/14/08 10:25 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
miden Offline

Chony, you actually went through and LISTENED to all the XS drums live, via a demo, or are you just going by the names in the data sheet?

Because I can tell you that going on the demos posted by yamaha for the T3, the XS drums LIVE, are certainly streets ahead in my opinion, may be because of better efx, or maybe better sampling, I really cannot answer as I have only heard the T3 in demos, but I have played the XS live.

Dennis

Just re-read this post, it does read a bit like a confrontation, not intended, just curious as to how you arrived at your view, is all. No slight on your opinion/thoughts meant.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 09-14-2008).]

#242052 - 09/15/08 12:37 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

Wait until October when it is in the shops, as it sounds a totally different animal when played live. (The online demos don’t come close)
In addition don’t forget that I am one of the few on synthzone that have heard it live, so I know what the Tyros 3 sounds like in the flesh.

Bill

#242053 - 09/15/08 02:43 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
miden Offline

Yeah, good advice Bill.
Dennis

Edited coz the icon thingy (thumbs up) didn't work and just posted a URL???!!

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242054 - 09/15/08 05:34 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Not only that Bill by WAITING you will give the others Roland, Ketron etc, to introduce their next arrangers then you can make an educated decision.

#242055 - 09/15/08 06:12 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
No way that the XS kits sound like the Tyros, unless of course the T3 has incorporated some of the samples and processing from the XS. It's not close at all. I can speak from a bit of experience on this, since I have the Motif ES and T2. I tend to doubt very much that the XS took a step backward from what the ES has in drum sounds.

You may not like the sound of the snares on either. That's fair enough, but just the amount of multisampling itself on the Motif ES kits makes a tremendous difference vs the T2, especially when you try playing either live or making a midi file that has some varying velocity dynamics.

Then there are the electronic kits. This is where the biggest difference occurs. Squeak has always lamented the lack of any substantial electronic drumsounds on the PSR / Tyros line, and for good reason. Save for a few very generic electro kits, on the T2 they are practically non existent. Not so on the ES and I have to believe that the XS stepped forward from the ES.

For my money, the T2 drums sound remarkably similar to the kits from my first PSR, the 530. I realize that memory tends to distort reality, but recordings I made with the 530 tell the story pretty well. Same as some of the old PA80 recordings I have vs the T2. Remarkably more life like for me, anyway, and the PA80 is approaching 9 yrs old.

With that in mind, I'm not going to waste my time traveling to see a T3. Though I'd like 76 keys, for me this is not a deal breaker, but Yamaha have proved to me that as time has passed, the arranger line is what it is, is not likely to change much from generation to generation, and it is obviously successful for them, in spite of what any of us might think. That said, very little that matters to me personally has changed over the years, other than a few megavoices and SA2 voices, some of which are quite good yet also somewhat limited vs other brands or sample sets. The styles are more life like, but the drums still sound very sterile, the harmonizer is still very limited after all these years, and editing or making user styles is a bear vs doing it on the ancient already PA80 for example, sound editing in real time is extremely limited vs anything else I've ever used, and I'm just not interested.

Of course, I could be proven wrong, and major improvements to some of the things I mentioned could be under the hood of the T3, but somehow, given what I've seen over the last 10 years or so, and based on what I am reading and hearing already, I very much doubt it

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242056 - 09/15/08 06:25 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

The percentage of people who want better Tyros drums is probably equal to those who want 76 keys. In Yamaha's eyes that is very very small to affect their worldwide sales of arrangers which exceeds all other.With success like that why should they change anything?

#242057 - 09/15/08 06:43 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Bluezplayer Offline

I agree Donny. It is what it is, and it apparently works quite well for Yamaha, but it just isn't for me.

BTW, if anyone would like to compare the drums sounds between the T2 and the Motif line, here's what I'll do.

Send me a short midifile(s) of your choice. I will record it as played back on both instruments, as is, and then, just for ha has, if it has little or velocity and timing dynamics, I will humanize it a bit and then record it on both again. Or if you'd like I can also record it played back on BFD, the M3, a Jamstix drum sample kit, even a good soundfont. Jamstix is cool too because depending on how I set it up, it can take that midifile and process it in different ways, adding dynamics that give it more life.

AJ

#242058 - 09/15/08 07:01 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Right on AJ! Man you couldn't be more correct.. Excellent points about the difference in kits between your T2 and Motif ES. Owning a Motif ES myself..., and having already spent a good deal of time on the Motif XS.., and having demoed the Tyros 2 several times..., after hearing the kits on the Tyros 3...., I have to say they DO NOT match the quality of the ES/XS.

It's two different worlds here. Again.., it's like Yamaha only lets the boys play together sometimes, but with serious restictions. They'll share the great signature voices from the arranger line with the Motif line..., but when it comes to their top arranger, they just will not go the other way.

What Yamaha SHOULD do is after the T3 is released..., release (via an OS udate-that's FREE).., and tweek a few of the styles to work specifically with new sampled kits (from the Motif line) that can be loaded into the Ty's sample memory.

However, my only concern would be how the Tyros 3 can handle loading these samples. The current Tyros 2 isn't really praised for fast sample loading. Anyways.., tweeking a few styles to work with XS drum kits would make a very notable difference.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242059 - 09/15/08 07:24 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I agree Donny. It is what it is, and it apparently works quite well for Yamaha, but it just isn't for me.

BTW, if anyone would like to compare the drums sounds between the T2 and the Motif line, here's what I'll do.

Send me a short midifile(s) of your choice. I will record it as played back on both instruments, as is, and then, just for ha has, if it has little or velocity and timing dynamics, I will humanize it a bit and then record it on both again. Or if you'd like I can also record it played back on BFD, the M3, a Jamstix drum sample kit, even a good soundfont. Jamstix is cool too because depending on how I set it up, it can take that midifile and process it in different ways, adding dynamics that give it more life.

AJ

Aj you can compare all day long A/Bing different drum sets ....but in the end everyone has a different opinion some will love it some will hate it....& in the end result it nothing changes because who's right or wrong?

#242060 - 09/15/08 08:35 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
you can compare all day long A/Bing different drum sets ....but in the end everyone has a different opinion some will love it some will hate it....& in the end result it nothing changes because who's right or wrong?

Donny, I think most people would agree that getting a Drum Kit or all the Kits on a keyboard to sound like a "real" Drum Kit i.e. a "real" set of Drums is the ideal, and is a BIG or possibly even HUGGGEEEEE reason why someone would NOT even consider purchasing a certain keyboard because of the nature in quality of the Drum Kits e.g. Tyros3, etc. I was reading some of the comments over at PK Club about the T3 Drum Kit demos Yamaha posted and some of the people over there held the same sentiment that many of us do here i.e. "when is Yamaha ever gonna start putting some high quality professional drum kits on their totl arrangers?" And 76 keys was brought up too I might add.

Nothing changes?? Could it be because Yamaha isn't listening or motivated to do so? Yes, they did give the T3 all new Drum Kits but where, oh where, is the sound improvement in these new Drum Kits? I think I hear a teenie little bit of improvement from the demos they've posted but it's very slight in my humble opinion. They also could have added some extra reverb and or dynamics to the demo recordings to give the "effect" of a better overall sound, although I hope that isn't the case, right?

I guess we'll know in around a month or two what the real skinny is on the T3 Drum Kits. Unless of course Yamaha happens to give some additional Drum Kit demos that are more than just a few seconds in length and that will truly demonstrate the "true" nature of these all "new" Drum Kits on the T3 to us, thereby convincing us one way or the other once and for all. If they don't then most of us will get the chance to test the T3 in person before too long anyway. >> But demos are what provides and/or 'sustains' the hype and enthusiasm that surrounds a keyboard product. In other words, if the T3 had some truly outstanding and professional sounding drum kits on-board you can almost be assured that Yamaha would be getting a better response from the T3 then from some of the stuff we've been hearing around the Net since they announced it. Which hasn't been very positive in a lot of ways i.e. = Small incremental upgrade, still no decent Drum Kits (even though they claim they're all new) [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img], no 76 key version, etc., etc. They'll probably still sell a boat load of 'em though. Which is mostly what they're concerned about anyway right? [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Best,
Mike

#242061 - 09/15/08 09:28 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Mike excactly like I said.......
either buy it, tweak it to your liking......add external devices to it....don't buy it, or buy somthing else that makes you happy. Yamaha is not the only arranger in the world today.

#242062 - 09/15/08 10:07 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Donny, I think most people would agree that getting a Drum Kit or all the Kits on a keyboard to sound like a "real" Drum Kit i.e. a "real" set of Drums is the ideal, and is a BIG or possibly even HUGGGEEEEE reason why someone would NOT even consider purchasing a certain keyboard because of the nature in quality of the Drum Kits e.g. Tyros3, etc. I was reading some of the comments over at PK Club about the T3 Drum Kit demos Yamaha posted and some of the people over there held the same sentiment that many of us do here i.e. "when is Yamaha ever gonna start putting some high quality professional drum kits on their totl arrangers?" And 76 keys was brought up too I might add.

Nothing changes?? Could it be because Yamaha isn't listening or motivated to do so? Yes, they did give the T3 all new Drum Kits but where, oh where, is the sound improvement in these new Drum Kits? I think I hear a teenie little bit of improvement from the demos they've posted but it's very slight in my humble opinion. They also could have added some extra reverb and or dynamics to the demo recordings to give the "effect" of a better overall sound, although I hope that isn't the case, right?

I guess we'll know in around a month or two what the real skinny is on the T3 Drum Kits. Unless of course Yamaha happens to give some additional Drum Kit demos that are more than just a few seconds in length and that will truly demonstrate the "true" nature of these all "new" Drum Kits on the T3 to us, thereby convincing us one way or the other once and for all. If they don't then most of us will get the chance to test the T3 in person before too long anyway. >> But demos are what provides and/or 'sustains' the hype and enthusiasm that surrounds a keyboard product. In other words, if the T3 had some truly outstanding and professional sounding drum kits on-board you can almost be assured that Yamaha would be getting a better response from the T3 then from some of the stuff we've been hearing around the Net since they announced it. Which hasn't been very positive in a lot of ways i.e. = Small incremental upgrade, still no decent Drum Kits (even though they claim they're all new) [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img], no 76 key version, etc., etc. They'll probably still sell a boat load of 'em though. Which is mostly what they're concerned about anyway right? [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Best,
Mike

You must consider the separate division this keybard is in within Yamaha......the HOME KEYBOARD Division.

You won't see a Tyros on stage with any major act. They use the Motif from another division.

These are marketed to those who cannot afford a Clavinova or want a Clavinova in a portable.
Arrangers are simple not considered Professional use keyboards. Those who use them in that manner are in the minority and carry little weight with Yamaha. Now the Motif owners complaining about something WILL get a lot of attention.

IF the Motif sounds better, buy one and a laptop with Band in the Box....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242063 - 09/15/08 02:01 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

#242064 - 09/15/08 02:19 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:

"You must consider the separate division this keybard is in within Yamaha......the HOME KEYBOARD Division."

>> So why does the Home Keyboard Division give the Tyros3 SA2 voices which the PRO keyboard division doesn't even have in any of their keyboards yet? Sure, the next version that replaces the Motif series WILL get the SA2 voices too. But I consider that a trickle down effect from the Home Keyboard division to the PRO Division, not the other way around. Let's face it Kingfrog, if someone is willing to shell out $4,500 for a Home Keyboard with 61 keys, why shouldn't they expect the Drum Kits to be up to snuff to at least the Yamaha PRO division's $3,500 Motif XS8 88 key workstation? Something is not formulating correctly to my mathematical way of thinking... Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't one get comparable or better sounds (think T3 Drums) if one pays "more" for a keyboard product (think T3) - regardless of whether it's made in the Home Keyboard Division or on the Planet Mars or Pluto for that matter.. Yamaha is putting up a "rude awakening" sign saying: "Buy Me, Buy Me.. i.e. the T3 - You will be getting less with the T3 than our PRO Division Boards which in some instances cost thousands less, but no matter, Buy Me Buy Me - anyway! Huh?? But people seem to be willing to follow the Pied Piper i.e. Yamaha off a cliff if necessary, even if it's to their own detriment. Oh well, such is life in the land of Yamaha loyalists I reckon.

"You won't see a Tyros on stage with any major act. They use the Motif from another division."

>> So far that is the case Kingfrog. There are actual PRO's using the Tyros series (mostly the T1). Maybe one of the reasons you don't see a PRO using a T1/2/3 on Stage is they don't want to embarrass themselves with the Tyros' lackluster and compressed sounding Drum Kits perhaps? I'm not talking about playing with the auto-accompaniment ON, I'm talking about having access to great sounding Drum and Percussion Kits that would be triggered manually with the keys, just like they do with the Motif XS on Stage. Or having them available to use with custom Sequences, just like they do with the Motif XS on Stage as well.

"These are marketed to those who cannot afford a Clavinova or want a Clavinova in a portable."

>> Okay... But the Clavinova is also lacking in quality Drum Kits by the fact that you're correlating and equating the T3 to a Clavinova. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img] So the Clavinova also has lackluster Drum Kits too apparently right? [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/frown.gif[/img]

"Arrangers are simple not considered Professional use keyboards. Those who use them in that manner are in the minority and carry little weight with Yamaha. Now the Motif owners complaining about something WILL get a lot of attention."

I see... if you pay less for a keyboard (think Motif XS) you'll actually get Yamaha to listen to you then eh? [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

First of all Kingfrog, anybody that plays an arranger such as a T3, Korg Pa2XPRO, G-70/E-80 etc., on Stage - will most likely NEVER use the auto-accompaniment features when playing in the context of a 'Band' with other Band members. Again, I think the reason why no Big Name artists use an Arranger on Stage like the T3, etc. is #1: There is a stigma attached to arrangers (toys for children mentality) that will take some time to overcome and get rid of - before Big Names get comfortable on a Stage before hundreds or thousands of people with the likes of a T3, etc. >> In the case of T3, who would want to showcase the T3 Drum Kits before hundreds or thousands of people anyway with them being what they are and all? [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/confused.gif[/img] And #2: Once again we're talking sounds. The sounds in many cases are still lacking when comparing them to the lesser expensive PRO workstation keyboards on the market. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] Case in point >> Drum Kits on the T3 for one. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img] Or at least I suspect that they're inferior after listening to the online Demos from Yamaha.

The Gap is narrowing though for sure, and in some cases, like the Pa2XPRO with it's 76 keys and exellent to even superb sounds, there really is no gap at all in my opinion. And maybe the ONLY thing that will still lack on the T3 regarding the sounds will be the Drum Kits, who knows?? Although as far as features go the T3 has some catching up to do e.g. 76 keys, Real Sampler, Micro Editing of the sounds and styles, REAL Harmonizer.., etc. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

"IF the Motif sounds better, buy one and a laptop with Band in the Box...."

Again, the idea is to have an all in one, all included solutuion - "NOT" two or more pieces of equipment that, apart from each other, are incomplete and/or inadequate.

And to have that "All In One" solution in an Arranger form factor. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/cool.gif[/img] That is the goal anyway. Korg seems to have already arrived with the Pa2XPRO and Roland WILL have arrived with its next 76 key PRO Arranger I'm guessing. Yamaha?? They need to take a few more laps around the track as punishment for not listening long ago to consumer's requests regarding their supposed PRO Arrangers. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/frown.gif[/img] And then make the necessary and needed corrections on their next totl model coming down the pipe in 3 or so years.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242065 - 09/15/08 02:41 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Mike glad you finally found happiness with your KORG Pa2xpro...good choice for an all in one for your needs.

good luck

#242066 - 09/15/08 03:04 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
keybplayer Offline

Not so fast Donny! I was just "discussing" what I thought about the Pa2XPRO and from what others have stated about it.

I really would like to have more than 120 notes of polyphony on my next totl arranger Donny. I understand the method Korg uses for polyphony allocation is a very good one, with users having less probability for note drop-outs compared to an inferior allocation method that are perhaps used by some of the other manufacturers.

I'm thinking I may just bide my time until the next wave of totl arrangers hit the market between now and 2011 before I purchase another one. I'm really hoping my next totl arranger will have AT LEAST "256" notes of polyphony onboard. I know, I know, that's BIG hoping, but it has got to happen sooner or later right? I can wait.

Hopefully it will happen SOONER rather than later.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242067 - 09/15/08 03:10 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
keybplayer Offline

I wanted to mention that if Korg indeed hits a Grand Slam with its new OS coming out for the Pa2XPRO, I may change my mind and get one. Even if it does have less polyphony than my T1 had. But that new OS better be good...

Best,
Mike

#242068 - 09/15/08 03:20 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
On stage...in a group you are more than likely going to want a full PRO synth.

1) In your face sound to cut through the mix
2) FULL MIDI implementation
3) more than 61 keys (usually)
4) The arranger feature would just be in the way
5) PRO build because these baby's take a lot of ause
6) Support for the PRO instuments is superb
7) Just the way a PRO synth works suits the stage environment (patches, combies ect)

That sure doesn't mean it's not done, but not often.
That also does not mean there are not some great and even better in some cases sounds on an attanger than PRO board. But that's a small exception.

So why is the T1, T2, T3 PA, G-70 ect. more expensive..they sell a lot more PRO synthes than arrangers.

It's a shame...usually you can't even hear what te keyboard player is doing beacause of all the LOUD distotion guitars!

Lee

#242069 - 09/15/08 05:44 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Diki Offline

I've been using Roland arrangers on stage with bands for ten years or more. No-one, not a single band member, and not a single member of any audience has ever come up to me and ridiculed my use of an arranger... EVER

Since I got the G70, the only thing anyone ever does is come up to me and say 'what the hell are you using? It sounds AMAZING!'

This is all with full live bands, and some pretty picky ears. I have a Triton, I have a K2500, I have some older stuff too. I won't take them out on gigs any more... They are too hard to program on the fly, edit on the fly, store the edits on the fly, and the sounds just don't quite cut it.

Why do you think no-one criticizes it? Sure, my chops are OK, but I tend to put a lot of the credit on the way it is built and voiced. For starters, I never have to apologize about my piano parts (or sound) because I am trying to shoehorn them into a 61 size keyboard. An 88 is only a fraction better (you'd be amazed, in a band situation, how little you need the extra 12 notes - as a solo pianist, sure, but in a band, 76 is more than adequate).

I never have to apologize for the organ parts. The drawbars make grabbing JUST the right registration a snap, and the Leslie and chorus/vib is fine for live use. And the keyboard, once again, doesn't get in the way by snagging my hands on smears.

The horn parts are to die for (up to three different horn sounds and layers in one patch makes for a LOT of dynamic timbral variety), the strings are lush, the synth sounds are plentiful, I've virtually never been stumped for a patch to match a song, or meet a mood.

The effects are simple to call up, simple to adjust, and as powerful as you need for live. The OS is optimized for LIVE adjustment (which my K2500 and Triton are NOT), and the ability to change patches and whole setups on the fly without ugly cutoffs in the sounds and weird glitches in the effects is smooth, smooth, smooth. To be honest, few WS's can do that!

And it is all in one keyboard, and a darn good lookin' one at that!

So, the next time someone comes up to you and pooh poohs your arranger, ask them what was it that the HEARD? Maybe that might give you a clue as to whether they simply have an axe to grind, or a real comment...

Oh, and one last thing.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER TURN ON THE ARRANGER SECTION!

Not in a live band situation. Just as you wouldn't want the singer to plonk down an iPod, and do a number (or just a few bars) with their TOTL, fully produced, amazing sounding karaoke track, while you sat around and twiddled your thumbs, no band member wants to listen to you demonstrate how you COULD do without them, thank you very much!

Maybe THAT's why they like my arranger so much, after all... They don't KNOW it's an arranger!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242070 - 09/15/08 09:23 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
What Yamaha SHOULD do is after the T3 is released..., release (via an OS udate-that's FREE).., and tweek a few of the styles to work specifically with new sampled kits (from the Motif line) that can be loaded into the Ty's sample memory.

However, my only concern would be how the Tyros 3 can handle loading these samples. The current Tyros 2 isn't really praised for fast sample loading. Anyways.., tweeking a few styles to work with XS drum kits would make a very notable difference.

Well, unless the sampling function is vastly improved, it won't matter anyway. That was exactly my thought Squeak. I was going to sample some of my better software drum sounds and load my T2 up. I got as far as sampling a small but rather complete kit. Unfortunately, I probably should have read the danged manual first. It was only then I realized I could only load 8 samples per user voice or per drumkit. That's right, 8 whole drum sounds per kit.. single layered of course, no multisample function in T2. Hmmm.. I kept saying to myself.. nahhh something is wrong, it's gotta be me, I'm not getting something here, but I looked deeper into it online and that's what it is. Let's see.. hmm a bass drum, a snare, a closed hh, open hh, maybe I'll skip the pedal hat.. now I have four left.. hmm how about a crash, a ride.. that leaves me 2 toms... How useless is that ? OK OK, I'll admit it.. there is GOOD news too. At least I'll never have to hear those danged hand claps again.. hehe

Now the sampling function on the ES is a bear to work with, but at least I can load either multisamples or as many individual samples per voice as the memory will hold.

By contrast, the Korg M3 lets me load several different formats easily and effortlessly. I talk about ( and use ) samples a good bit, but really, when I feel compelled to "roll my own", I'm working in the dark ages compared to those who really have it down to an art. I do dabble with Kontakt now and then, but the reality is, any time I'm trying to create something, and I can keep it simple and still get the desired results, I still use soundfonts more often than anything else. It's really the only format that I can say I have some expertise in using asnd creating in. The good news is that my M3 loads SF2 files effortlessly and also that the good ones sound great coming out of it.

To me, the sampling capability on the T2 is the equivalent of a modern day Casio SK1, great for making an oddball noise or two, not much else.

I can't answer why the T2 has the better SA voices, ( it's been said both here and at Motifator and I tend to agree ) but in my mind, I might reason that it's because the ES and XS are geraed toward modern music. I would venture a guess that in the modern genres that acoustic instruments, other than maybe pianos and a few others aren't the primary featured sounds being used, and that even when they are featured, it is rarely the goal of those who might use workstation produced .. let's say guitar sounds, for example, to fool the listener into believing they are hearing the real thing. In simpler words, I'm guessing it just isn't all that important to the majority of workstation users, much in the same way better acoustic and electronic drum kits aren't a major concern to the majority of Yamaha's targeted arranger market.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242071 - 09/15/08 11:23 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

Sample loading times are 15 – 18 times faster with T3
USB 2 as standard
New sounds will be downloadable, just like you currently do with styles
And you certainly don’t need the drums off the Motif

Bill

#242072 - 09/16/08 12:42 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Diki Offline

Sorry, Bill, but the speed of the interface has nothing to do with how fast you can get data into the RAM...

Most current arranger samplers (and several WS's) can't even load it up at USB 1 theoretical speeds. There's a data pipeline that chokes it off LONG before it reaches the interface speed.

Only the computer based arrangers have anything close to the interface speed load-up.

#242073 - 09/16/08 05:28 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
At the presentation of Tyros 3 we were told that it was 15 – 18 times faster loading samples then Tyros 2, this information being supplied by Yamaha Japan.
The truth however will not be known until Tyros 3 is shipped in October, but at least the hard disk is standard.

Bill

#242074 - 09/16/08 06:39 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, Bill, but the speed of the interface has nothing to do with how fast you can get data into the RAM...

Most current arranger samplers (and several WS's) can't even load it up at USB 1 theoretical speeds. There's a data pipeline that chokes it off LONG before it reaches the interface speed.

Only the computer based arrangers have anything close to the interface speed load-up.

Diki...What is the loading time for the Roland G70?

#242075 - 09/16/08 06:42 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Diki
At the presentation of Tyros 3 we were told that it was 15 – 18 times faster loading samples then Tyros 2, this information being supplied by Yamaha Japan.

Diki is right, IMHO. Yamaha is only referring to the increased USB speed (1.1 vs. 2.0 USB protocols). My E-80 loads styles at lightning speed. But after that, it still needs to process them. I guess that's the same with loading samples: the TRANSFER may be quicker than in Tyros 2, but what comes after that is what really counts: how long before you can USE the samples?

Besides, the fact that information comes from "Yamaha Japan" is in no way a guarantee that it is accurate information. I've heard enough b/s from representatives of different major brands to always doubt the claims that are made "officially".
------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM http://www.keyboardforum.nl

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 09-16-2008).]

#242076 - 09/16/08 10:43 AM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Diki...What is the loading time for the Roland G70?

Same as for the S900...

Or, if you prefer... It depends on whether you can get someone to help you lift it!

No sampler at all on the G70. So no load time! It's what I prefer, honestly. There's nothing more frustrating that having a feature that is impractical to use, live. And I already have a decent sampler at home (my K2500S).

Mind you, I've got a 128MB card slot (SRX) that adds this without any load time at all. What extra ROM can you add to the Yamaha's, Donny?

#242077 - 09/16/08 04:54 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Dnj Offline

YPKO forum quote:

"There are new drum kits on Tyros 3 and they sound great.Yes it is the same octave button but it has been moved for easier use.Many things have been assigned to the modulation wheel now including the Piano to give an open lid sound and a closed lid sound.ie.the sound is much brighter when wheel is moved downwards.The new super articulated 2 buttons produce sheer magic which you really have to hear to appreciate.Don't just judge the case
for the whole inside has been updated.Far more memory to house the huge samples on some of the voices.New DSP settings for both styles and right hand voices.TFT screen which can be seen at any angle and needs no contrast button.
There were many keyboards at Pakefield and we listened to all of them and nothing to my mind came anywhere near Tyros 3 "

#242078 - 09/16/08 05:12 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
YPKO forum quote:

"There are new drum kits on Tyros 3 and they sound great.Yes it is the same octave button but it has been moved for easier use.Many things have been assigned to the modulation wheel now including the Piano to give an open lid sound and a closed lid sound.ie.the sound is much brighter when wheel is moved downwards.The new super articulated 2 buttons produce sheer magic which you really have to hear to appreciate.Don't just judge the case
for the whole inside has been updated.Far more memory to house the huge samples on some of the voices.New DSP settings for both styles and right hand voices.TFT screen which can be seen at any angle and needs no contrast button.
There were many keyboards at Pakefield and we listened to all of them and nothing to my mind came anywhere near Tyros 3 "

The suspense is building!!

#242079 - 09/16/08 11:27 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
abacus Offline

Comparing keyboards the report is pretty much correct, however regarding sounds, it was easily beaten by the new Atelier organs from Roland. (Pretty much the best sounds on site)
Hopefully the technology will be included in a new Roland keyboard range, as the current range is just hanging on for dear life. (It’s depressing to find a respected name like Roland right down the bottom of the pile)

Bill

#242080 - 09/16/08 11:41 PM Re: TYROS 3 Today ....Are You READY?
miden Offline

It is Bill, but I have said it before, and I will say it again, historically, when Roland go this quiet, something big is coming!!!

It might still be months, maybe even a year away, but its brewing for sure!

Dennis

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online