SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#241959 - 09/08/08 07:19 AM Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Organ Special w/ new Drum Kit

Not sure this has been posted already. So what do y'all think??

My personal opinion is the Drum kit used sounded a 'little' better than the T2 drum sounds but I sure wouldn't call the T3 drums "thrilling" or anything. Although, that was only one kit so maybe there's still hope that a majority of other drum kits will sound better.

The Organs seemed to have pretty good realism with the Rotor Organ having a better overall sound than my former T1 had. >> Which is only to be expected, since Yamaha is now on version 3 of it's high-end money maker. In other words, there BETTER be some sound realism improvements, right?

OTOH, the Drums still don't do it for me. But I will withhold a final determination until I can play one in person.

Best,
Mike

#241960 - 09/08/08 09:41 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rotary effect isn't bad at all, but the organ sounds themselves are pretty average.

The drums remain disappointingly week.

Nothing about this keyboard is getting me excited, I'm afraid.

#241961 - 09/08/08 09:45 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
Beakybird Offline

Maybe I'm a moron, but it sounds fantastic to me. This has been available for at least a week.

Beakybird

#241962 - 09/08/08 09:57 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm especially impressed with the organ sound...beefier, with an excellent rotary effect...more Hammond-ish than ever.

I'll pass on the drums till I get my demo instrument, but they do sound better.

Ian

#241963 - 09/08/08 10:16 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I'm especially impressed with the organ sound...beefier, with an excellent rotary effect...more Hammond-ish than ever.

I'll pass on the drums till I get my demo instrument, but they do sound better.

Ian

They won't. Yamaha has never managed to get "convincing" drums in any of their keyboards. If you think Yamaha's drums sound like "the real thing", you never heard drums in real life.

I know. I am a drummer. I know what they should sound like. And they're NOT in Yamaha's keyboards.

#241964 - 09/08/08 10:16 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
Dnj Offline

If your not happy with the demo.....& if you bought a T3....then I'm sure you can go in and TWEAK the sounds to your liking if you know how.....why is it always a put down before a unit is on the market....
factory setups aren't always or every ones preference....this is where being a musician comes in & you have to do your homework so you'll be happy with the keyboard. Then again the BEST keyboard on earth is no substitute for talent which many times I read between the lines and'notice that some people think the latest & greatest will change that? Not a good way of thinking.

#241965 - 09/08/08 10:20 AM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:

I know. I am a drummer. I know what they should sound like. And they're NOT in Yamaha's keyboards.

I play drums too...but, unlike you, I will wait till I hear the Yammie in person before I pass any judgement.

I already like the T2's drums...very tight and CD like quality is my preference...may not be yours, but it is Yamaha's way and seems to please most, if not all, users.

Don't like Yamaha drums...buy a Roland or Korg...simple.

Ian

#241966 - 09/08/08 12:19 PM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The realism of a 'real' Drum set is the true and ultimate benchmark we're after Ian. I'm glad to see Yamaha has apparently further improved the drum kits on the T3. I say apparently because I'll have to wait and demo a T3 and a T2 side by side to get a better comparison. OR, Yammie could put up some better Drum Kit demos online to help demonstrate and accentuate the T3 drums better, so the improvement(s) could be heard betwixt the two in a clearer way and would make it easier for a person to decipher the results without having to necessarily demo a T2 & T3 side by side.

For a comparison of Drum kits, listen to some Motif ES/XS drum kit demos and then go back and listen to the T3 demo(s). You will notice right away (at least my ears tells me) that the T3 drums lack the depth and realism of the Motif series by a big margin. Other Workstations on the market today also have noticeably better drum kits than what I am hearing from these Yamaha T3 demos.

Those with discriminating preferences who know what a real Drum Kit should sound like (not that you don't Ian but I'm just using as an illustration), we just want Yamaha (and the others) to give us AT LEAST what we currently find on the Workstations but of course preferrably even better and ultimately to have that "REAL LIVE REALISTIC SOUNDING REAL DRUM SOUND OF A REAL DRUM SET" at our fingertips. We've quite a ways to go before we reach that pinnacle but since Yamaha is touting the T3 as a "digital Workstation" couldn't they provide at least the same quality Drum Kits as are found on the Motif series of Workstations? You're paying more for less when you buy a T3 i.e. the T3 costs quite a bit more than a comparable Motif ES/XS, but the Drums still don't seem to be up to snuff on the T3..

Yamaha has put 600MB of WAV ROM on the T3 while the Motif XS only has 355MB. Yet the Motif XS far outshines the T3 in the Drum Kit arena. It's almost like a double standard with Yamaha in that their traditional workstations get the goods with the gravy, whilst the arranger division gets the cold paltry leftovers for some reason. Except when it comes to the SAV/2, Mega Voices, and some of the Cool!, Live!, and Sweet!, voices. But the Drums??? Uh.... I don't think so.

Best,
Mike

PS: I'm sure the T3 drums will be JUST FINE for a good percentage of those who purchase the T3. OTOH, audiophile purists will most likely hear the T3 drums and avoid it unfortunately. And they end up looking elsewhere in the arranger arena for something that suits them better - at least as far as their preference for Drum Kit sounds go anyway, in my opinion.

#241967 - 09/08/08 12:41 PM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
ianmcnll Offline

We all have our own preferences, Mike...that's what makes it all so interesting.

Ian

#241968 - 09/08/08 12:56 PM Re: Another new Tyros3 demo on Yammie's website...
Dnj Offline

Real or so called "REAL" if that could ever be playing arranger KB drums I think they are all CLOSE enough to sustain enjoyment from any audience.......after all who is using them for a National or Worldwide act anyway? Sounds are great but drums suck....or Drums are great & Sounds stink....when does it end?....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online