SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#241870 - 09/04/08 09:20 PM why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I just noticed Frankieve’s posting about receiving a shipment of the Tyros 3 at the end of September. By coincidence, I traveled to his store yesterday to look at the Ketron SD5. Would you believe I never even knew it was the “Frankieve” who posts here?

This is not meant to be a commercial for Frank’s place, but I was so impressed with my first visit there (and so UN-impressed with other dealers) that I wanted to share it with you if you‘re also considering buying a Tyros. I feel this is the way a visit to a dealer SHOULD be, but most times it only happens in your dreams!

Frank and I had been speaking for a week on the phone about the Ketron SD5. He took the time to answer all my questions in a pleasant manner, and not once did I hear any “impatience” in his voice (as I got with other dealers in the past). I found him to be very knowledgeable about the Ketron (and the Yamaha’s and Korg’s also) as he advised me he was also a “player” using all three brands on the job when he had an event to do.

Feeling confident that it would be a good experience to visit Frank in his shop, I drove the 200 miles there and back. I was not disappointed. I walked into a very warm environment. Frank greeted me with a smiling “hello”…asked if he could buy me lunch, and did his best to make me comfortable.

Then I sat down at the SD5. I could not have asked for a better teacher. Having read so many horror stores on the Net about how difficult the navigation system was, I was expecting it to be a tedious process just learning the basics BY MYSELF. Frank knew the instrument so well, he had me playing complete songs within 10 minutes having given me a pretty good command of the keyboard. What originally looked like musical Greek to me, suddenly became simple because he took his time and made sure I understood what he said before he moved on to his next set of instructions.

That said I spent 2-3 hours playing the unit. All that time, Frank was only a shout away whenever I had a question. When I got done, I asked HIM to play it (while I listened) and was very pleased to hear him tinkle the keys because he’s also a very fine player. That’s important for me because he can understand and relate to me and my needs and questions much better.

I must add that his knowledge of the instruments (Yamaha, Korg, Ketron), how they’re made, what to look for in an arranger keyboard, the differences between them, info about the manufacturers, etc and just his great patter on musical observations in general….that alone was worth the trip. He really knows his stuff.

I could have seen an SD5 much closer to where I live, but after speaking to Frank on the phone for the whole week I could see he “knew his apples” and that he would be easy to work with.

’m sure you can tell by now that I’ve had my share of “dealers from H*ll” so I say it’s refreshing to find a dealer who isn’t one of these “high-pressure” acts and who has actually spent an appreciable amount of time playing the instrument he’s selling you. This will obviously be an expensive purchase that I will need time to think about so this was most appreciated.

Either way, Guitar Centers (and probably even the future Best Buys) will be second on my list from now on. I’d sooner travel a bit of a distance and get someone who knows their product and doesn’t drown you with high-pressure sales tactics than go the local “convenience store” route and end up buying something I didn’t want…..and didn’t know I didn’t want it until after I bought what the dealer wanted me to buy!

Even if you don’t go to Frank’s place, try and get a someone who operates like him. One who puts you in a “comfort zone” from the word “go!”

Lucky

#241871 - 09/04/08 10:19 PM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
IL Parrothead Offline

Loc: Orland Park, IL, USA
Great story! I wish there was a store like that near me!

#241872 - 09/05/08 06:06 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
zuki Offline

Too bad there is only Frank (east) and George (west) and no one in between There sure isn't in the Midwest, that I know of.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#241873 - 09/05/08 06:09 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Too bad there is only Frank (east) and George (west) and no one in between There sure isn't in the Midwest, that I know of.

OH Comon Zuki you have RUSS LAY

#241874 - 09/05/08 06:57 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Lucky great review glad to hear you made the trip. As you may have read in other posts I've traveled the roughly 200 miles round trip to his store a few times.

Scroll halfway down the page and you'll see another happy customer with Frank
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016533.html

No I'm not on his payroll yet.

#241875 - 09/05/08 08:35 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Tinkle on the keys ?
Or tickle on the keys ?

#241876 - 09/05/08 09:30 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Lucky that was a great post it's allways good to share good news.

"Originally posted by zuki:
Too bad there is only Frank (east) and George (west) and no one in between There sure isn't in the Midwest, that I know of."

Seeing the product in person helps. The larger retailers have a 30 day return policy.

I would gladly buy from either Fankie or George If I had the option of returning the instrument if it was not a good fit. These are smaller dealers and if it cost me a 15% restocking fee I wouldn't blink an eye. One really needs a week or two playing the instrument to know if it's what's going to work for you.

These people really support their products. I had the pleasure of visiting George while out in California a few years a go and he is a gentleman.

I will visit Frankie on my next trip to Ct. I have several clients in that area.

Jerry

#241877 - 09/05/08 11:05 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A 15% restocking fee on a $4000+ arranger is over $600...

Can YOU afford that, just to try something out of curiosity?

If so, I'll bring my arranger to your house for that!

#241878 - 09/05/08 11:22 AM Re: why I'd rather travel to Audioworks in CT than visit my local Guitar Center
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I totally agree...Frank is top notch. He knows the product and can easily assist anyone in making the right selections with no high pressure sales...just helping you learn what each products strong and weak points are AND how that might work for you.

His pricing is super, his knowledge is vast and he is fun to work with.....

Thanks for being there....Wish I were closer to you.

Lee

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online