SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#241156 - 08/27/08 12:24 PM OT laptop mystery
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

Wife shut down her laptop before she went to work this morning. She went to start>turn off computer>turn off...

She then closed the laptop and left...

Once back home she opened her laptop, hit the power button and up comes the Windows XP sign on screen. The one where you select which user to log in and then enter a password...

The screen, in fact the entire laptop is non-responsive. The cursor is in the middle of the screen, but doesn't respond. CNTRL/ALT/DEL doesn't do anything, nor does holding the power button down...

Ideas?

She's wiggin, as they say...

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#241157 - 08/27/08 01:03 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You could take the battery out and see if it reboots when you put it back in.
DonM

#241158 - 08/27/08 01:19 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bill
When you close a laptop they normally go into standby or hibernate mode, so I would guess it’s stuck between this and shut down.
Just press and hold the power button for more then 4 seconds to turn it off straight away.
Hope this helps

Bill

#241159 - 08/27/08 01:21 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
Bill in Dayton Offline

Well, went back to and opened up the lap top and voila! It was off...Somehow it had come out of its frozen state...

Powered up, logged in with no trouble...

Patty said she'd tried to close it and try to start it after about 5 minutes, but it didn't unfreeze...

Wonder what's going on?

I do know her battery is really low....But she was connectd to ac all the time...

Thanks Don, Bill...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-27-2008).]

#241160 - 08/27/08 01:30 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi Bill,

I do this all day long its my job.

Laptops get STUCK in hibernation and standby all the time. DonM is correct about removing the battery. Whenever that happens, hold the power button in until it ALL goes OFF and make sure the powercord is unplugged and remove the battery - wait 10 seconds then reboot. This will reset the laptop back to its original power on state. I also suggest you disable hibernation in your power settings in the control panel.

Unless, you use battery power often, charge the battery to full charge and remove it. It will last longer.

Regards,

-Linda

#241161 - 08/27/08 01:33 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaFus:
Hi Bill,

I do this all day long its my job.

Laptops get STUCK in hibernation and standby all the time. DonM is correct about removing the battery. Whenever that happens, hold the power button in until it ALL goes OFF and make sure the powercord is unplugged and remove the battery - wait 10 seconds then reboot. This will reset the laptop back to its original power on state. I also suggest you disable hibernation in your power settings in the control panel.

Unless, you use battery power often, charge the battery to full charge and remove it. It will last longer.

Regards,

-Linda

What did she do wrong in shutting its down? Again, she went to START>turn off computer>turn off

This is how we usually turn the unit off...

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#241162 - 08/27/08 01:36 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Some laptops, depending upon their vintage and OS, have strange quirks, including closing the top before the computer completely shuts down. Additionall, there are some, including one of the older Dells I had, that would not run correctly when the battery was dead or low--even when plugged into the AC power supply. There are days when I wish I had never seen a computer, but then there are days when I could not imagine living without one.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#241163 - 08/27/08 03:33 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Bill,

It happens for no apparent reason. I always recommend to periodicly cold boot a laptop and remove the battery every couple weeks.

She did nothing wrong. It happens and could be a number of reasons why. USB port could have been stuck. OS could have errored who knows. I would not worry about it.

Gary, I also had a couple dells that used to not run at all unless a good battery was in them. Also, have a dell that gets stuck in hibernation. I love my pc's but I love my MAC more. LOL

-Linda

#241164 - 08/27/08 03:56 PM Re: OT laptop mystery
Dnj Offline

Closing it before it was completley shut down was the mistake.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online