Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#240924 - 08/27/08 11:08 AM Re: Big ol T3 photo
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
[B]Yamaha has made a very wise move in keeping a consistant user interface and OS.

The user interface of Roland's E-Series is fundamentally unchanged since 1988.

Yamaha's PSRs have been all over the place during that time.

#240925 - 08/27/08 12:04 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
DX-7? Got one. And A Korg Micro. And a Hohner Clav. Got a Wirlitzer in the old brown covering. Just can't find them quickly, sometimes. Now, where did I leave that "primo" gut bucket?

Russ "junk collector" Lay

#240926 - 08/27/08 12:38 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I hurried down to the last post to see if Nigel had put a lock on it.

He must be on vacation I guess..

Best,
Mike

#240927 - 08/27/08 04:10 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Still amused to hear Ensnare berate Ian for not being critical of Yamaha, but when asked to come up with things that could work better on Wersi's, he can't find any (extra hardware don't count... Many of us would be happy with lots of physical outputs and insert points, but it's hardly an OS thing, or sounds and styles, is it?)...

So Ian's Yamaha is perfect for HIM, but he's a 'whore'. Lee's Wersi is perfect for him, but that is just a FACT? Uncritical analysis is only bad if it's someone ELSE doing it?

That mote in Ian's eye looks smaller every day...

Diki,

I'm not berating Ian I'm stating a fact. Don't you get that Ian IS paid to only praise Yamaha? If I were paid to do the same thing I'd classify myself as a whore for whatever company I was touting as well. The fact Ian spews praise for Yamaha at every turn should mean something to you if you were interested in buying a Yamaha product. An unbiased opinion from any party who isn't in the hip pocket of a company should mean a lot more to you than a biased one who is. I'm merely pointing out a fact, IAN IS PAID to promote YAMAHA products and is so biased towards Yamaha because of his employer/employee relationship that it clouds his judgment.

I can assure you I don't get paid by anyone to review any product and my opinions are my own and not swayed by others or by a paycheck. Be it Wersi, Roland, Korg, Casio, I actually play the instruments in person (what a concept), then I can make an informed decision on what it can and can't do. Sure one can surmise some things from specifications, a photo, or an MP3 but that's only part of the picture and I know that. This is why I hold out my final judgment until I play the instrument in person.

I think it's funny how here on this forum my opinion means little yet I have clients all over the World who have admired me for not selling myself short by promoting a product simply because I was paid to do so. I have sold high end pro audio gear and done consulting for many well known artists, producers, and engineers and they always knew that if a question was asked of me I'd give my opinion based upon actual use and comparison between other brands and models, not by venturing a guess. Clearly my opinion isn't valued by you and that's OK. If one person here values my opinion then I guess me taking the time to voice my opinion was worthwhile.

Even though I think your way off base many times by posting an opinion not based by actually playing the instrument in person (Wersi, Lionstracs, etc.), I value your opinions when they are based on actual use (such as those of the G70 which I already said is a wonderful instrument). Your opinions that aren't based from real world use I simply have to shrug off.

In some instances such as questioning why Yamaha put tiny sliders and increment/decrement buttons on an arranger that's a valid question even though you haven't played the product. Sometimes you don't have to play the instrument to question why they would do that.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 08-27-2008).]

#240928 - 08/27/08 06:07 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
IAN IS PAID to promote YAMAHA products and is so biased towards Yamaha because of his employer/employee relationship that it clouds his judgment.

No, my misguided friend, my judgement is hardly clouded, but your perception of me is...

I promote Yamaha products because I believe in the great value of their instruments.

Getting paid is merely a plus.

I play music for the same reason...because I love to play...getting paid happens because others enjoy what I do out of love.

Pretty simple...I'm sure you can understand.

Why does there have to be another motive...or is that what drives you?

If it does, then we truly have different agendas in life....but that's alright...I still think you're an okay guy.

Ian the Contented

#240929 - 08/27/08 07:08 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ian,
With all do respect I find it very hard to swallow that your opinions of Yamaha's keyboards insn't somewhat biased due to being paid by them, and I wouldn't doubt that you get some other perks as well.

I can't help but wonder if you had the same set up from Roland or Korg.., would you then be praising them just as much....

Obviously your opinions related to Yamaha keyboards are heavily biased. Be realistic now..., would Yamaha want to keep paying you or giving you extra perks if you weren't always singing praise to them....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#240930 - 08/27/08 09:12 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lee....

Trust me, Yamaha do not pay ANYONE to come here and natter with us old farts...

Ian gets paid to do the odd clinic and teach some arranger lessons, etc.. He isn't what anyone would consider a full-time web shill.

And, once again (because you apparently missed it), I repeat, Ian HAS been critical of some aspects of Yamaha's, and you have NOT been in the slightest critical of Wersi. Ignore it again, it's not going to go away...

Where is this reputed objectivity of yours? You are honestly trying to tell us that there is not the slightest aspect of Wersi's operation that could be improved, there is not a single feature on any other arranger that it could do with, and there is no aspect of panel layout, OS, sounds and styles that could use improvement?

The rest of us don't seem to have the slightest problem finding a problem with some of the sounds and styles, just for starters. And give me ten minutes on it, I GUARANTEE I can find something that could be bettered!

I have a whole forum full of things posted (at Roland-arranger.com) that I think could be improved on the G70, and, as you said, it is a VERY good arranger! So, c'mon, SHOW us this independence you claim. In fact, step up to the plate and at least equal Ian's objectivity...

If the 'whore' can fault his pimp, surely you've got SOMETHING about your girlfriend that could be nicer?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-27-2008).]

#240931 - 08/27/08 09:22 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And squeak...

C'mon, for Pete's sake!

There are PLENTY of Yamaha (and just about everything else) fans on this forum utterly uncritical of their pet keyboards. None of THEM are payed by the company for anything. What's their reason? Why are they doing this?

Because they love the keyboard they own. If Ian was the ONLY person like this, you'd have a point. But, as he seems to be in a fairly big group, it is impossible to single out his employment as the reason for his opinions. He simply loves the PSR, just like all the other uncritical members here...

So, take a minute, and use just a little logic before you jump in with this kind of rhetoric. You've heard of logic, haven't you?

#240932 - 08/27/08 10:47 PM Re: Big ol T3 photo
Rejected Idol Offline

Loc: St Paul, MN
The Synth Zone chums are at it once more
There’s sluts and jerks and now one guy’s a ‘whore’
The tempers have risen to an all time high
Just making a post could bring a sharp stick to yer eye

It all started with a picture of T3
What’s all the hype? It’s plain to see
New features and sounds you’d think would impress
But for some of the readers, it’s caused great duress

Some cussed and fumed about the new T3’s charm
The words sounded like stuff you’d hear on the farm
Some folks jumped in to try to settle the feud
Said there’s little reason for being so crude

It was just days ago some guy said it was boring
Why, SZ was so quiet he resorted to snoring!
‘zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’ the post read as a teaser
Well – for that guy I guess this thread’s a pleaser

Is it politics or the weather that’s caused all the fussin
Or is the T3 so great it’s drivin’ some guys to cussin?
Whatever the reason I would ask we calm down
Cause reading these posts one can’t help but frown

Cuz in the final analysis, we’re alike that’s for sure
A love of both music and technology is our core
So let’s please not forget why we’re all hanging here
There’s no reason we shouldn't respect ALL our gear

R/I

#240933 - 08/28/08 03:55 AM Re: Big ol T3 photo
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Ian,
With all do respect I find it very hard to swallow that your opinions of Yamaha's keyboards insn't somewhat biased due to being paid by them, and I wouldn't doubt that you get some other perks as well.

Squeak, I'm not saying this applies to you, but sometimes it's hard to believe someone is telling the truth if you would have lied in the same, or a similar situation.

If it does apply to you, then you have my utmost sympathy.

Questioning my integrity leads me to believe that perhaps you doubt your own...you know the saying..."you point the finger, and you have three pointing back."

I have been fortunate enough to support myself with my music most of my life...but, the money was never, and I mean, NEVER, the first priority...doing what I loved was more important.

It still is....

Ian

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online