SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240826 - 08/26/08 10:13 AM Re: Auditions
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I can't remember the last time anyone asked for an audition. It is much more common that I get a call asking where they can come see me.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 08-26-2008).]

#240827 - 08/26/08 11:17 AM Re: Auditions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think there's a difference between an audition for a gig, and an audition for a band.

I won't play an audition night for a club... My demo package and word of mouth in my small area is sufficient, and if it isn't, you can be assured it's simply the club trying to get something for nothing. If they have that attitude BEFORE you work for them, you can be assured they will have that attitude once you start!

But I WILL audition for a band, either at rehearsal, or I'll sit in for a set on a gig, but ONLY if it's someone I REALLY want to play with The rest of the time, well, I only get the call if they are after me, anyway!

But, most of the time, I LOVE to go out jamming, and have probably played at one time or another with most of the musicians in my local area, so I'm known for being able to get up at a moment's notice and do my best to make what I play 'fit in' with whoever else is playing. I jam every opportunity I get... I sometimes think my greatest musical pleasure is playing songs I don't know, on gear I don't know (if they have a rig to play on!), with guys I don't know...

Nothing else forces you to be on your toes as much, to be in the moment, as it were. So, I approach an audition with a band as just another opportunity to jam, and one with maybe a paycheck at the end of it! But after all these years of jamming, sadly, there are hardly any players left that don't know me well enough (in my little area) to actually need an audition. Hell, it's hard enough to even get some of them to a rehearsal, these days!

#240828 - 08/26/08 12:47 PM Re: Auditions
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Great attitude, Diki! Playing with others of similar commitment and ability has always been what it's all about...at least for me!

Hurry up and get old enough for that drink I'm buying while I'm still able to climb the stairs to the bar!

Regards,

Russ

#240829 - 08/26/08 04:58 PM Re: Auditions
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I don't remember the last time I auditioned and I'd like to keep it that way. I've already closed off my 2008 calendar because I have no more open dates. I didn't want to be this busy but I am and it's great. If you really have to audition, go in and kick their ass with good stuff. That approach has always and will always work.

Best of luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#240830 - 08/26/08 05:09 PM Re: Auditions
Diki Offline

Get a basement bar, Russ...

At least getting TO the booze is easier, and afterwards... well, who cares, afterwards?

I'd be as happy as a sand-boy to come blow with you if I'm ever in the area (and vice-versa). In a sea of OMB smug self-satisfaction, you are one of the few who don't let it go to their heads.

I'll carry the G70, out of deference to your age . YOU can carry my trombone (it's got a custom lightweight slide!)..

#240831 - 08/27/08 11:24 AM Re: Auditions
captain Russ Offline

Diki, I got it...! We could book our act as "Fabulous Russ" and "Bonehead the Bone Player"!

(Got a nice ring to it, don't ya think)?

Be well, friend-playing with you would be a gas, I'm sure!

Russ the tonedeaf one

#240832 - 08/27/08 11:35 AM Re: Auditions
Diki Offline

"Bonehead is better than no...."

See, I got the T-Shirt concept already

#240833 - 08/27/08 11:40 AM Re: Auditions
captain Russ Offline

I WANT A SHIRT! We could be the Boneheads getting no **** twins!

If sex is like playing music, I'm a much better player than I was when I was younger. See, I used to rush a bit at the end of each "Tune".

Now, sadly, each song just sort of "peters" out!

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online