SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240798 - 08/25/08 01:05 PM rearrange smf's on the fly
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
is there a keyboard, module, or piece of software that will let me re-arrange smf's on the fly? Let's say I want to do another chorus, then I can push a button and the sequencer will jump to a marker after the current segment is finnished?

Doc-Z

#240799 - 08/25/08 01:24 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland's have this feature...

You can place up to four 'Markers' in an SMF and jump to them at any time.

I think Yamaha does this too (?). Possibly others too.

Anyone?

#240800 - 08/25/08 01:51 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Ketron Midjay also have this feature, and bunch of others too.

#240801 - 08/25/08 02:51 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You will need to read the instruction books or check on the forums, as every manufacture seems to have a different name for them. (Wersi call them parts, with up to 8 in OAS)

Bill

#240802 - 08/25/08 03:34 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
Dnj Offline

Yamaha .....SMF Markers ?......You must be kidding.............unless I'm wrong?

#240803 - 08/25/08 05:19 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yes Tyros2 has song markers

#240804 - 08/25/08 05:35 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
...and from the T3 advance info:

Song playback is also enhanced by the addition of Song Position markers. The idea is that during the playback of a Midi file, it is possible to mark a point to repeat to later. As an example, if a singer wished to sing an extra chorus of a Midi file you were using, simply make a mark at the start of the last chorus. At the end of the chorus, press the Song Position button, and the file will automatically jump back to the marked position at the start of the chorus. This feature gives total flexibility to the length of Midi files, enabling a live feel from pre-recorded songs.

#240805 - 08/25/08 05:39 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
Dnj Offline

I stand corrected so some models have a marker how nice. Now get rid of the famous Yamaha hand claps next.

#240806 - 08/25/08 06:04 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just the one Marker, and you put it in on the fly?

Or can you store this point (or multiple points) in the file itself?

There are some cool things you can do with this function. Want an optional section that isn't in the song AT ALL? Maybe a vamp, or a totally different ride, or even a whole other tune that you can chose to segue to (or not)?

There's nothing to stop you from appending this section (or multiple sections) well AFTER the normal end of the file (several dozen bars, to stop you accidentally getting to it if you play the file through normally). But a Marker to it's start can jump you to that point, from any point within the normal file. Then a Marker at a 'return' point in the 'normal' structure of the song can return you to a suitable coda and ending.

Pretty cool, huh?

How about, for those of you that like to mix and match between Style Mode and SMF mode... You know, some tunes you want to start out in Style Mode, let you do whatever you want for a while, but you know there are sections of the piece that you would just LOVE to have an SMF take over for a while while you play a two handed solo, move to another keyboard or another instrument altogether (especially you horn players and guitarists), and then go back to Style Mode when you feel like it.

Markers can give you a choice of what section of the song the SMF takes over from, so you aren't locked into a preset structure for your adventures on the other instrument.

Handy, no?

Don't think you can remember what all those Markers do, for each song? Use the Text Link function on the SMF to put a reminder at the start of the song, and insert a text message during the lyrics (if you are using it for that at all) at each Marker point to remind you what they all do, again.

Convenient...

SMF's have come of age.

Next.... MP3's. Do any of the arrangers allow you to drop markers in on audio files, yet? (I know my G70 doesn't, 'cos it don't do audio at all ) That would be real handy, wouldn't it?

#240807 - 08/25/08 06:16 PM Re: rearrange smf's on the fly
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Korg let's you do markers I believe.

(Well my PA1X does, so you'd have to think all the latest model Korg's do it).

Never tried it myself, but it's there I'm positive.

I haven't tried Markers on MP3 playback - I can link text files to MP3s, but not sure on markers...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online