SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240622 - 08/23/08 10:17 AM How to change midi key?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I am using Van Basco and I'm able to change the key. I can save to a playlist but the play list is in a proprietary Van Basco file. Is it possible to save the file to a new key out of the Van Basco playlist, then copy to a USB stick? Sure, I can change the key at the keyboard but in many cases the lead sheet I have is written in another key. I'm trying to match the lead sheet to the midi file.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-23-2008).]

#240623 - 08/23/08 10:36 AM Re: How to change midi key?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Can you change key in VanBasco and export as a midi, or change the key of the midi in your keyboard sequencer

#240624 - 08/23/08 11:40 AM Re: How to change midi key?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I load the midi into Power tracks pro, change the key then save it.
As far as I know van basco (at least my free version) doesn't allow you to save changes.
I will use VB because it is easy to play with and change the key on the fly, to find the right one, but as I said I've never been able to save any changes.

#240625 - 08/23/08 12:58 PM Re: How to change midi key?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I load the midi into Power tracks pro, change the key then save it.
As far as I know van basco (at least my free version) doesn't allow you to save changes.
I will use VB because it is easy to play with and change the key on the fly, to find the right one, but as I said I've never been able to save any changes.

Mike looks like Power Tracks will do the job. Bernie, as far as I can tell I can't export with Van Basco. I'll try the 2nd option i.e. change the key of midi then save in the new key.

#240626 - 08/23/08 01:43 PM Re: How to change midi key?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Stephen, you have a PA2x dont you? Why not just save the transposition in a songbook entry? That way there is NO editing at all required, and its all set at the push of a button.

You can have your transposition set up so that when the songbook loads it transposes bothe the keyboard AND the midifile, or just the midifile.

Dennis

#240627 - 08/23/08 02:27 PM Re: How to change midi key?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Stephen, you have a PA2x dont you? Why not just save the transposition in a songbook entry? That way there is NO editing at all required, and its all set at the push of a button.

You can have your transposition set up so that when the songbook loads it transposes bothe the keyboard AND the midifile, or just the midifile.

Dennis

Duh yes I do have the PA2xPro Dennis why didn't I consider that. Yes I usually set up the songbook to transpose for the key I want to sing in. Some lead sheets match the key of the midi file so allows easy play along. It's when the lead sheet is in another key in that case it's just the midi file key I want to change. Thanks for the eye opener.

#240628 - 08/23/08 03:12 PM Re: How to change midi key?
miden Offline

Hi again Steve,
Just thought I would expand a little on the process involved, JUST in case!!

It's a "live" function I am talking about, in which you don't actually modify the midi at all.. Simply load up the song, set the transpose you want and then save it as a songbook entry.
The transpose gets saved along with all the other settings and is recalled everytime the song is loaded.
Whether the midi/keyboard is affected by the songbook transpose entry is determined by having the Global setting - General Controls - Lock - Master Transpose lock set to off (it is set to on as the default setting).

Also ensure that the Global - Transp Ctrl - "Transpose applies to Style and Kbd Tracks" is set to real-time. This will then mean the "live" playing will match the transposed MIDI file. (This is set to realtime by default, but it is worth checking anyway).

Now the thing to remember with MIDIS is that there is a limit to how far you can transpose without the instruments going either out of ther natural range, or the song just sounding terrible.
As my personal "rule of thumb" on MIDI tranpsoition, if you need more than 3 semi-tones of transpose then my recommendation is to properly edit tracks in a sequencer to re-adjust individual note ranges.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Dennis

PS I have used the transpose function when playing live, but only when I have had a cold or similar, and needed a bit of pitch relief for the voice.

Any other "permanent" key adjustments I make using a sequencer, especially if outside that 3 semi buffer.. Mind you some midis can be transposed up/down by a range of up to 4 or 5 semitones, it just depends on the original key.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-23-2008).]

#240629 - 08/23/08 03:28 PM Re: How to change midi key?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I may have misunderstood, but thought you wanted to change the actual key of the midi and play it as written in VB. Then adjust the keyboard to sound in your range, and still be playing in the altered key. You, then play in G, and sing in F by lowering the KB 2 semi's.

#240630 - 08/23/08 07:14 PM Re: How to change midi key?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I may have misunderstood, but thought you wanted to change the actual key of the midi and play it as written in VB. Then adjust the keyboard to sound in your range, and still be playing in the altered key. You, then play in G, and sing in F by lowering the KB 2 semi's.

I need to re-word, as an example. I have the lead sheet for "All of Me" written in "C". The midi file I have is 2 semitones lower. I want to use the lead sheet to play along with the midi file. I want to match the midi file to "C" so that I can play the lead sheet written in "C". So I need to change the key of the midi file, not the keyboard for live play.

#240631 - 08/23/08 07:56 PM Re: How to change midi key?
miden Offline

If you want the keyboard unchanged all you need do is turn the "Transpose applies to Style and Kbd Tracks" to off. Then the transpose will affect only the midifile.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online