SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240582 - 08/28/08 11:40 AM Re: Reality
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Burkels
I use the Lame mp3 encoder, (Recommended as one of the best) rip the file direct from the CD and convert it to mp3, then upload the results. (No recording is actually done)
If there is a better way, then point me in the direction, as I am not a recording engineer.

Regards

Bill

#240583 - 08/28/08 12:46 PM Re: Reality
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Servers, streaming mp3 audio, often scale back the bitrate depending on demand.

What bitrate did you encode at, Bill...?

#240584 - 08/28/08 12:54 PM Re: Reality
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
MP3's suck but it sounds like Bill ripped the MP3 appropriately. If you can, record the MP3 at the highest bit rate possible. Even then MP3's are still crap in comparison to the original file, presuming of course the original sound source was actually well recorded.

MP3's may be convenient but they sure as hell are the bane of existence to audio engineers who actually care about audio quality.

#240585 - 08/28/08 01:12 PM Re: Reality
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hello...?

No-one has actually ripped a CD they are intimately familiar with? And compared the two?

Sure you have. So, presumably, you know what the encoding process does to the sound, yes?

So, how come you are not able to accurately estimate what the REAL sound is, if listening to an mp3 of known bitrate and encoder?

I just don't get it... Ella Fitzgerald, recorded direct to vinyl, sounds far better than Ashley Simpson on SACD (24/96 or better). You don't need perfect, pristine audio to be able to make a value judgment about her singing. So how come you can't get an accurate impression of an arranger using an mp3 that compromises the sound FAR less than thirties recording technology and delivery?

This just basically stinks of a 'last resort' argument that occurs when one with any intrinsic value fails to be available.

#240586 - 08/28/08 02:29 PM Re: Reality
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
I have set the encoder to 192Kbs which should give a reasonable compromise between file size and quality, however as I said, I am not a recording engineer, so there may additional things that could be done to improve the encoding performance, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Bill

#240587 - 08/28/08 10:44 PM Re: Reality
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Diki
I have set the encoder to 192Kbs which should give a reasonable compromise between file size and quality, however as I said, I am not a recording engineer, so there may additional things that could be done to improve the encoding performance, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Bill

If I compare your MP3 to the MP3 I made of the Zamfir-CD, I notice you got quite some noise in the MP3 and the overall sound is "flat" compared to my MP3. So either your encoder is acting up, or your source CD is a low-budget production

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online