SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240285 - 08/18/08 11:49 AM Need some advice
Weiser Offline

Loc: Eau Claire, WI
I've been playing piano since I was 3. I am somewhat new to the keyboard scene and need an opinion. Is the Roland G70 version 3 any good? Compared to a Tyros2 or a PA2K Pro?

#240286 - 08/18/08 12:22 PM Re: Need some advice
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Weiser,

These types of questions are great way to start "heavy artillery fire" from three different directions (i.e. Roland, Yamaha and Korg 'followers'). :-)

You just mentioned three TOTL models of arranger (although G-70 is a bit older then E-80, but has some advantages, and disadvantages over the newer model), of major arranger producers (of course Wersi and Mediastation owners will disagree), and each one has it's own strengths and weaknesses as well.

Apart from different specification, each of the mentioned models have specific sound, and arrangement differences, and in order to choose the one that suits You the most, You have to listen to it, because sound is personal experience, and something that sounds wonderful to me, might sound as 'load full of crap' to You, or anybody else (and vice-versa). So, whatever answers You get (no matter how objective or subjective they where) still might get You in wrong direction, and I am afraid You are going to have a little bit of investigating, searching, reading, and listening, until You find the correct answer.

Good luck, and I hope You will find the keyboard that suits you the best.

#240287 - 08/18/08 12:56 PM Re: Need some advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Weiser between January 2007 and today I have owned at one time or another the Tyros 2, G70 and now the Pa2XPro. Each are outstanding in their own way. Since you've played piano for many years, I would stick with either the G70 or Pax2Pro since each have 76 keys. Only you can be the judge what works for you demo them if you can. In retrospect and this is only my opinion I think the G70 action, drawbar features and live sound tops them all. I just never took to the OS on the G70, that's not to say it doesn't work, it just wasn't for me. For me the OS, USB, mp3 features sold me on the Pa2Xpro and it's lighter weight.

#240288 - 08/18/08 12:57 PM Re: Need some advice
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Weiser,
Seeing as how you are a piano player, I think you would be lost when it comes to the Tyros. As the G70 and the PA2x are both 76 notes, I would suggest that either of these would be more suitable, probably, to your style of play.

In my view, they are as good as each other, just different, if that makes sense to you??

I think if you bought either one you would be happy.

They do sound different in some areas (live piano for example, which on the Roland is superb) and have quite different operating systems, so you would have a steep learning curve for either.
But I would have to shade the Roland as a little more understandable at first. But you will fly with either after initiation!!

Having said all that, the Tyros also has a fairly easy operating system, and also sounds very good, and its 3rd party support (non-factory) is HUGE, the envy of all the other arranger keyboard users!! Well, talking for myself anyway!

So, although we can suggest all we like, you really REALLY must go to a shop for a listen and play them, and press some buttons and see HOW they work and to see if you are comfortable with the operational aspects.

This you must do for yourself, we cannot do this for you!

Although in the case of the G70 you might not want to be too tardy.

I still stand by my original paragraph, however, that as a piano player it would come down to a choice between the G70 and the PA2xPro.

Cheers
Dennis

#240289 - 08/18/08 03:02 PM Re: Need some advice
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Weiser
One other keyboard that is in a similar price band is the Ketron SD 1 (Although the number of dealers is limited) which is also worth trying out.
Alternatively have a look at modern electronic pianos, as they have many of the same features as an arranger, but with keyboards similar to a real piano.
Most importantly, try them out and take your time when choosing, as they are an expensive investment if you get it wrong.
Hope this helps

Bill

#240290 - 08/18/08 08:37 PM Re: Need some advice
Weiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Weiser
One other keyboard that is in a similar price band is the Ketron SD 1 (Although the number of dealers is limited) which is also worth trying out.
Alternatively have a look at modern electronic pianos, as they have many of the same features as an arranger, but with keyboards similar to a real piano.
Most importantly, try them out and take your time when choosing, as they are an expensive investment if you get it wrong.
Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks, the Ketron only has 64 note polyphony. I need the 128.

#240291 - 08/18/08 08:41 PM Re: Need some advice
Weiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Hi Weiser,
Seeing as how you are a piano player, I think you would be lost when it comes to the Tyros. As the G70 and the PA2x are both 76 notes, I would suggest that either of these would be more suitable, probably, to your style of play.

In my view, they are as good as each other, just different, if that makes sense to you??

I think if you bought either one you would be happy.

They do sound different in some areas (live piano for example, which on the Roland is superb) and have quite different operating systems, so you would have a steep learning curve for either.
But I would have to shade the Roland as a little more understandable at first. But you will fly with either after initiation!!

Having said all that, the Tyros also has a fairly easy operating system, and also sounds very good, and its 3rd party support (non-factory) is HUGE, the envy of all the other arranger keyboard users!! Well, talking for myself anyway!

So, although we can suggest all we like, you really REALLY must go to a shop for a listen and play them, and press some buttons and see HOW they work and to see if you are comfortable with the operational aspects.

This you must do for yourself, we cannot do this for you!

Although in the case of the G70 you might not want to be too tardy.

I still stand by my original paragraph, however, that as a piano player it would come down to a choice between the G70 and the PA2xPro.

Cheers
Dennis

Nobody, including Guitar Center, or any other music stores in the Twin Cities area had a Roland G-70 or Korg to test drive. One had the Tyros2 but I am not a fan of Yamaha keyboards. My dad has a Roland ??? and I love the piano sounds. I was able to get a really good deal on a G70 vesion 3 so I ordered it. Should have it this weekend.

#240292 - 08/18/08 08:48 PM Re: Need some advice
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Weiser,

Good choice! I don't think you will regret it.

Cheers
Dennis

#240293 - 08/19/08 11:51 AM Re: Need some advice
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Weisar...

For all things Roland, tips and tricks, new styles, both Roland and User, and for informed assistance, set your browser to Roland-arranger.com. The best resource for help with your new keyboard anywhere on the 'net.

See you soon.

#240294 - 08/19/08 12:38 PM Re: Need some advice
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Good choice Weiser. As a piano player, you will love the feel of the G 70. I played it's fore runner, the G 1000 for eight years and loved it. Just got tired of hauling it around. I now play a Yamaha Tyros 1. The lighter touch takes getting used to but after that it's smooth sailing.

Good luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

[This message has been edited by Songman55 (edited 08-19-2008).]

#240295 - 08/19/08 01:32 PM Re: Need some advice
Diki Offline

The touch may indeed be able to get used to, but how on earth do you get used to the extra 15 notes (over an octave!) being missing..?

Do you play two handed piano, or is it just with the right? I find myself, on 61 note keyboards, CONSTANTLY needing to go either higher or lower than the 61 allows me

76 is bad enough, but usable (barely), but if you really are a pianist, 61 ought to drive you bonkers

#240296 - 08/19/08 01:41 PM Re: Need some advice
Weiser Offline

I can handle 76 ok. Anything less does not work unless you use it as a controller. I do have a Yamaha Clav. It has a midi jack. I also have a midi to usb converter. I should be able to use this Clav as the "controller" for my (soon to arrive) G70. This way I have the full keyboard plus the real action.

#240297 - 08/19/08 02:14 PM Re: Need some advice
Diki Offline

Best of both worlds, Weisar...

Unless you got to lug the Clavinova around, I guess

Best thing about the G70 action, IMO? While it is shaped well enough, and weighty enough to be MUCH better than regular synth actions for playing the piano, they rounded off the key ends slightly (no fake ivory 'overhang' and sharp corners), and also made it perfect for playing organ parts, too (the overhangs grab your hands when doing organ 'smears').

There are next to no keybeds out there that sport this amazing ability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online