SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#240163 - 08/19/08 11:29 PM Re: Tyros 3 - Here we go again SOS
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
Yes, I wasn’t talking about the pro market, but the keyboard/organ market, which is the segment arranger’s fall into, and which I think Mike was actually referring too.

Bill

#240164 - 08/20/08 12:13 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Here we go again SOS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe15 years ago or more, arrangers fell into the keyboard/organ category, but at least since my G800 (some would say earlier than that, for sure) these things have been ANYTHING but in those categories.

However, this hasn't stopped the manufacturers from still trying to market them that way, which is perhaps where the general malaise is coming from. Apart from certain organ derived arrangers, these things are about as far from that old school approach as you can probably get, capable of sounding pretty darn contemporary. But you still see them primarily in mom and pop organ and piano stores, where the only customers are leftovers from the sixties home organ period.

And because a few key sounds and OS features are left off (possibly deliberately, but little arranger strategy seems deliberate in my opinion, more just bumbling around ) they still don't attract the younger player, leaving some VERY capable keyboards in this hell-hole between potential and market.

We have to face it, but we refugees from the sixties and seventies are not enough to keep this segment of the keyboard industry vital by ourselves. There just aren't enough of us compared to WS users. This keeps prices high, and innovation and competition low.

IMO, the manufacturers have to start adding WS loopstation features and sounds to modern arrangers WITHOUT dropping the old school stuff, and possibly alienating us old farts too It's a great system of control, even for hiphop stuff, but needs the sounds and OS brought forward a decade or so. Without attracting more youngsters to the instrument, it's going to go the way of the 'home organ'.

Even if Yamaha DO train up the youngsters, trust me, at least in the Western part of the world, as soon as they DO learn to play, they drop these things like hotcakes and head over to the WS world (sales figures don't lie )

Be honest, gents (and ladies)... is there ANYTHING in that new T3 teaser that would make anyone under 30 listen and go 'I sure could use one of those!'? THAT'S the demographic that is driving WS sales and development. Not fans of 20's jazz, or Irish new age...

Possibly in more traditional music parts of the world, this Music School approach might work, but can anyone of you take a young kid into a mom and pop music store, and get him interested in a keyboard primarily set up for latin and bigband stuff? As soon as you give him the money for a keyboard of his own, he's off to Motif-land! They don't care if an arranger is easier to operate, they care that it sounds like their grandparent's home keyboard!

And not in a good way!

Yamaha MIGHT have started out in the home keyboard market as a joke, but they (and the entire industry, don't get me wrong, this is NOT a Yamaha bash!) are rapidly returning to being a joke. You can't continue to grow and innovate when you are selling to a dwindling market. None of us are getting any younger, and probably the average age on this forum is in the upper fifties to sixties, I would hazard a guess. That, gents, is not a good sign...

For the same price as a TOTL arranger from the Big 3, you can buy a WS with audio multitrack recording, advanced looping capabilities, contemporary sounds to die for (and most of the old school stuff too), effects capabilities better than most studios of twenty years ago, and bult like a Mercedes, with a georgeous 88 note piano keyboard. For way less you can get a Mercedes with a 61

Time for the arranger to make the great leap forward without adding the cost and complexity of a computer based 'open' system. Or we will ALL soon be in Wersi-land, with overpriced, over complex, dated sounding keyboards with next to no distribution, or cheap Wal-Mart toy arrangers meant for the kiddies.

Audya is going to be around $5500 How is this supposed to advance the industry..? T3 what, around $4500? The industry has got it all backwards... Appeal is supposed to GROW, and prices are supposed to FALL. Not the other way around!

#240165 - 08/20/08 05:20 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Here we go again SOS
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki,
I've been screaming for years about how the keyboard companies need to bring today's arrangers..., well simply into "today". Sure they got great acoustic sounds on them today.., and IMO of the top 3 Korg is the closest to a synth/workstation than all of them as their voice editing (onboard) is great, but to date NOT ONE arranger pulls of more modern styles of music and does it really well.

They've always voiced these keyboards for the older crowd. Then Yamaha goes and does something that had HUGE sales and dropped the ball with it (and on purpose IMO). The original Yamaha DJX was out of this world compared to the arrangers out at the time. It wasn't a top end arranger, but the styles on that board were as current as they get! That board had real-time sound control, dirty sampler, and a ribbon controller.

Yamaha was really going in the right direction with it, then just completey dropped the ball and IMO with all intention shot the project dead. The more current version of the DJX is the Yamaha MM6 (an overpriced piece of crap too).., they call this thing a synth and it doesn't even have a portamento.

I think Korg is probably the leader at trying to attract the younger crowds to the pro and semi pro arranger market. Their arrangers have great sounds, (IMO) more live and up to date styles, and the Korg arrangers offer more "WorkStation" features as well such as indepth synth editing, ect.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-20-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#240166 - 08/23/08 04:13 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Here we go again SOS
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#240167 - 08/23/08 08:12 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Here we go again SOS
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Diki, you forgot to mention the DX7!

That keyboard started the digital revolution.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, Bill, but Yamaha were no joke in the industry, at least not the pro one! Maybe in the organ community..?

Ever heard of the CS-80? Ever heard of the CP-70?

Yeah, I know... Jokes

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online