SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2401 - 02/23/06 02:30 AM Studio keyboard/controller?
dBr Offline

Loc: Boones Mill, VA USA
I'm trying to decide on a keyboard primarily for studio use. I'll be using NI B4 for B3 sounds, so I would mainly like something with decent acoustic piano, Rhodes and clavinet patches. Not really too concerned with sequencing functions since I will be using it with a DAW. I suppose I could go with a good controller and go all softsynths, but it would be nice to have something I could use as a standalone too. However, I do need to keep the budget < $1000 pref.
I'm mainly a guitar/sax player and not too familiar with all the different keyboard/controller models so I'd appreciate any advice, Thanks!

#2402 - 02/23/06 10:17 AM Re: Studio keyboard/controller?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,

As a keyboardist, I find the first question is almost always feel.

When I play organ patches I do not like to use a weighted keyboard. When I play pianos patches I don't like using a non weighted board.

So from that perspective I need two boards. So for me the first question is how many keys and how weighted.... then I can move on from there.

Just a thought.

Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 02-23-2006).]

#2403 - 02/23/06 11:32 AM Re: Studio keyboard/controller?
dBr Offline

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

I won't really need that many keys. 61 would be okay (I suppose the more the better, but since I'll only be using it to record I can just reassign if I need a different range, so it's not that big of a concern to me). On the other hand, others will also be using it at times so I guess 76 would be more ideal but I'd rather get a better board with fewer keys than vice versa.

I would prefer that the keys not be very weighted.

Thanks,
Brach

#2404 - 02/23/06 12:40 PM Re: Studio keyboard/controller?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hmmmm,

Maybe a Kurzwiel SP76 will suit you? It's way under 1000. I don't know how much control you need (sliders, knobs and buttons), but just to open your mind up a little, you could go for a good Yamaha PSR and add an Evolution UC-33 and a small Midi Merge box.

There's many ways to go actually, since weighted keys are not a main issue for you.

But weighted keys will allow a piano player to be much more expressive.

Best wishes
Bob
<><

#2405 - 02/23/06 06:39 PM Re: Studio keyboard/controller?
dBr Offline

The Kurzwiel looks like it might be a good way to go for my purposes. Don't really need a hardware controller as I have a couple of those lying around. Back in college we had Kurzweils in the piano classes (studied guitar, but piano was a requirement for everyone) and they did have a pretty nice acoustic piano sound.
Thanks again,
Brach

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online