SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#240112 - 08/20/08 01:19 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Diki, you young "smart-ass"!

Guilty as charged, Your Honor...

I plead INSANITY

#240113 - 08/20/08 01:22 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I plead INSANITY

Plea accepted.

chas

#240114 - 08/21/08 08:02 AM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
See, this silliness is a big part of the FUN on Synthzone.

You guys are GREAT!

Really glad you're around. Dave, you can keep the poor girl's welfare check. She's gonna be getting Social Security soon, and I've got "dibs" on that! And, Diki, when you're old enough to drink, I'm buying the first one!

Be well, all,

Russ "love those welfare mommas" Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-21-2008).]

#240117 - 11/02/08 12:53 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Dnj Offline

BBBB its called being an "Entertainer"....no one wants to look at a boring head down in the music non singer who doesn't acknowledge the audience for an hour .....you give em your heart & soul out there & in return you will be rewarded in many ways Sounds like your on your way already!

Good Luck.

#240118 - 11/02/08 02:31 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was quite a bit younger I played a 6-string guitar through a cheap amp, which I also used for vocals. Later, I added a Roland drum machine to the rig, then upgraded to a 12-string, Yamaha guitar, which really added a lot to the sound quality. Setup time amounted to about three minutes, and everyone loved the music. Mostly performed in smoke-filled bar rooms in those days. It was lots of fun, I didn't make much money, and the booze and women were free. Lord, that was a long time ago.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#240119 - 11/02/08 04:40 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
We (my wife and I) played a retirement village (for the first time) in Australia.

Great fun!

It was organised as a special event, and was basically a classic Rock n Roll afternoon on a Sunday. Here in Oz the retirement villages are really gated communities, and usually quite swish - with GREAT dance floors! We like playing to the older audiences as you can do a lot more showbiz patter (gags, giveaways, audience participation etc etc) and I believe they are going to approach us to play a "Christmas in July" *** function.

*** In Australia we have Christmas in July parties because in December it's our high summer, and usually blisteringly hot, thus it's a nod (I guess) to the American tradition of a "White Christmas"...

[This message has been edited by hellboy44 (edited 11-02-2008).]

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#240120 - 11/02/08 05:21 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Isn't the bottom line, when entertaining a senior residence NOT what YOU are doing but how is the audience RESPONDING to what you are doing? If you're lip-syncing, or you're playing the same songs all the time, or you're letting MIDI files wander mindlessly all over the room while you read the sports page, or doing bench presses with your keyboard, etc, does it really matter as long as the audience is being well entertained? Isn't the primary mission of an entertainer to please the audience and second to entertain everyone that's left (including all AD's)?

Yes, I'm playing Devil's advocate! In reality, I have no respect for the entertainers Bill described here. But I also have to go with....if the residents are happy with what they're hearing then THAT is what matters in theory.

I throw this out as fodder for remarks from other members about how they see our role as musician/entertainers? Do you please the Activity Director, do you please the onlookers, do you please yourself, do you please your peers, do you please your Higher Power...or...as in this case...do you please your audience?

Lucky

I agree with this assessment. Unless the audience is complaining, I would not change a thing. The idea is to hire an entertainer. Someone who MOVES the audience. I guess it comes down to the contract. Did the performer sell himself as a live singer?

The bottom line is the audience. Some of those who hire musicians don;t realize that though. If one guy is playing on 61 keys and a 20 piece orchestra is coming out of the speakers could that be considered "musical lipsyncing"?

E N T E R T A I N M E N T.......Thats the bottom line. Standing on your head whistling Dixie or playing a Ukulele singing Top Toe Through the Tulips and making a Career out of it...Entertainment.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-02-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#240121 - 11/02/08 05:27 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
I agree with this assessment. Unless the audience is complaining, I would not change a thing. The idea is to hire an entertainer. Someone who MOVES the audience. I guess it comes down to the contract. Did the performer sell himself as a live singer?

The bottom line is the audience. Some of those who hire musicians don;t realize that though.

Two important things to consider...

1) Yes, the performer was hired to sing live...

2) Nursing homes/retirement communities aren't night clubs. The activity director serves as their residents "advocate" through many things. The AD has to protect her people from frauds and other deceptions. These folks are in a facility like this for many different reasons. At this end of the care and support spectrum, they need assistance with a great many things.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#240122 - 11/02/08 05:31 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

What do you want to be? The real thing, or the pathetic scab who merely apes and imitates the real thing?

For shame, gentlemen, for shame...

Hey I resemble that statement........I would rather be the real thing but if the "pathetic scab who imitates the real thing" can make a great living ,see the world, and sell a lot of CDs for years and years and have a taste of the sweet fruits of the real thing keep the Band-Aid......I'll be a puss oozing scab everyday and cease to call myself a "musician" I rather like the term "entertainer" better anyway. I think you will find the latter far more profitable in the long run.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-02-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#240123 - 11/02/08 07:00 PM Re: For anyone who performs at Retirement Communities...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK, OK, I'll bite (I know you posted this just for it!)

Nice point, blah blah blah, but if you had read the thread from beginning (instead of just looking for a post of mine to jump on), you MIGHT have noticed that it was about someone that lip-synced a show, when they were hired to perform.

You haven't fallen THAT low, have you?

Now, instead of digging up ancient posts of mine to comment on, can we please just go back to ignoring each other?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online