SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#239879 - 08/12/08 06:24 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I break it down into two other things, first...

1) The composition... (is it a great tune, is there a great hook, does it move you?)

2) The arrangement... (does it compliment the tune, does it distract from the song, is it's emotional content the same as the lyrics, does it build and flow in the right places?)

Before you even START recording, those two have to be nailed, otherwise it's an exercise in futility, IMO

Maybe you CAN fix these in the middle of production, but it's much easier if you have these clear in your mind (or pre-demo on the arranger) before you fire up the computer...

#239880 - 08/12/08 06:44 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
You don't learn the 2 other things until you get some honest feedback... Everyone tends to be nice when you play some of your tunes to friends...

The question I have, Is composition originality ? When using styles, you really can't say it's your composition (if I understand the terminology correctly)...

In 2002 prior to heading to NAMM 2002 to demo the SD1 for Ketron , I decided to create & record songs with my SD1 . But how original was it ? After all I was using a style that was not created by me personally. So when I did think about hooks, chord progessions etc.. I gave serious thought on how I can make that recording original or have other SD1 owners say "how did he do that" .....

That's when I started listening & selecting parts from different styles, isolating those parts , matching tempos and laying in the parts on separate tracks..

For instance.. I used a string part from the 3rd variation of a baroque style. Baroque styles are usually at a 100 to 120 bpm tempo on a arranger. But when I slowed down that style to 72 bpm, I was able to mix the string part onto a separate track... If you head to my website and listen to "shoreline" .. you can hear the string parts added during the song..which in turn created pace to what was originally a very slow style ( tribal age on SD1) ..

If that example is "composition" vs originality, than I can understand what you are talking about.

I may be out for the rest of the night .. be back wednesday ...

#239881 - 08/12/08 06:47 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

I guess I'm straying off my original topic

Recording, sequencing .. it's all music !

#239882 - 08/12/08 07:47 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I have to say that, if you are worried that a 'composition' is not yours, because you used a style, first of all, turn on the arranger and let it sit a couple of hours. Did it write a single tune?

Didn't think so.

Maybe it's just terminology, but I tend to assume that 'composition' refers to the melody and chords of a tune, and the lyrics, if not an instrumental. And, other than invoking the 'Riff' feature, you can be assured your arranger will never come up with ANY of those! So, let's forget that one... OK?

Maybe you are thinking of the 'arrangement', which has a LOT more to do with the arranger. But, as you point out, there are a myriad ways to take what the arranger spits out, and carve your own personality onto it. Combine different styles' parts is definitely one way, wholesale replacement of arranger parts with your own playing is another, hiring another player to come in and lay down real parts is another... But, once again, it's you at the helm, making the decisions, NOT the arranger...

Even if you end up using what the arranger spits out with nothing further done to it, YOU are the one that decided this was what suited the composition, and as long as you don't go all 'purist', and insist that everything HAS to always be straight arranger output, you can change, modify, rearrange, replace to your heart's content. It is STILL ALL YOU....

Don't let the machine get TOO much credit, now...

It is still a TOOL, not a 'partner'. It does what you tell it to. You have the final say!

And finally, when you say "Everyone tends to be nice when you play some of your tunes to friends...", well, don't play it to your friends! Play it to the most critical, knowledgeable person that will give you the time of day... That alone can save you days of work on a tune that needs work before you even START to sequence and record...

#239883 - 08/13/08 02:09 AM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
How do you define sequencing ?

Sequencing is simply controlling keyboard playback from another device.

Quote:

Does sequencing strictly apply to midi ?

Nope. While MIDI sequencing is now how machine controlled keyboard playback is done it was not always that way. Analog sequencers were around long before MIDI was born. They were electronic devices that provided a step sequence interface. The early drum machines like the Roland TR606 and TR808 used a very similar step sequencing interface.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_sequencer has a long list of hardware sequencers over the years.

Quote:

Is sequencing playing a style off your arranger in to midi software to generate a midi template that you can manipulate or add to ? Or is sequencing strictly using midi to create original composition track by track to create a final song ?

Sequencing is simply the triggering of a sequence of notes. How you go about creating that list of notes is really inconsequential. So either method you mention is is sequencing. They are just 2 different ways to approach it.

#239884 - 08/13/08 05:17 AM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:

BTW... what kind of hardware ( do you have a break out box ?) are you using with your computer ?

Desk Top ? Lap Top ? PC or Mac ?

Gateway desktop with Q6600, (2)500gig HD's, 4gig mem running Reaper. Interface is Alesis I/O26 with (2) ADA8000's (16 ADATS)and one VM3100Pro (connected via SPDIF). This is backed up (and dual wired to) by an AKAI DPS24 connected to a second studio computer via Steinberg VLS2020 to run AKSYS and VST's via CONSOLE (this used to be my primary system before I migrated over to REAPER for the speed and convenience). I may upgrade the (ALESIS) interface to a firewire 800 capable sometime in the future.

BTW, sorry about pulling your leg in the previous post. Given your background and experience, I just hadn't expected this kind of question from you. But I understand a little better now.

chas

#239885 - 08/13/08 07:25 AM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

Chas..

No problem.... All is good .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online