SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239742 - 08/09/08 09:52 PM WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Yes SZ buddies, you read it right. Geez….I had the ultimate baptism by fire tonight! HA HA. I was booked to back a female singer that I occasionally work with. She offered me a 20-minute show paying $150 – no need to take an amp or speakers, just plug the keyboard in…so I said “Great” and agreed. Then a couple days ago the rest of the details came out. There was this big benefit tonight – it was a “swing music night” outside in an upscale resort complex down here. The main entertainment was this 18-piece locals big band. She initially wanted to sing w/them but they refused to let her sing because they have their own female vocalist. But the host of the evening wanted this lady I backup to sing, so he said “OK, you and a keyboard guy can go on during the big band’s intermission”. So a couple days ago I began to realize I was going to earn the $150. Due to my horrible travel schedule, I haven’t worked w/this lady recently, but I do have all her songs in my registrations. So we did a quick rehearsal last night. She said “hey, since this is a swing thing and they are going to have swing dancers, let’s up the tempos on all the songs”. ERR… Kewl. Then because we were operating against a big band, she said “I want to make the majority of the show to sound as much as possible like a big band”. ERR…Kewl. Here are the songs we did tonight (all but 'Ballad Medley' and 'At Last' were uptempo things, and the Ballad Medley and Train Medley did not use the big band styles – all others did):

Satin Doll – Big Band @ 160

Train Medley – Cocktail combo @ 160
Chattanooga ChooChoo
Sentimental Journey
Atcheson Topeka
PA 6-5000

Ballad Medley – Slow ballad w/strings and piano @ 80
Moonlight Becomes You
Embraceable You
The Very Thought of You
I’ll be Seeing You

Don’t Get Around Much Anymore – Big Band @ 177

At Last – Big Band Ballad @ 90

All of Me – Big Band Swing @ 180

Medley – Both big band, first song @110, second @ 177
Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

OK, so I spend all day yesterday and all day today woodshedding these things. I was so worried about having it all down that I forgot to eat lunch or dinner today. I showed up at the gig location at 4:45 (had to set up before the 7:00 show to do a sound check)…too bad…the big band had already consumed the entire stage. Their keyboard player had his (Roland) board literally against the drummer’s back. I wasn’t about to put my T2 on the stage (5 feet above ground) and have it knocked off during their set, so I talked to the band members and got them to agree to vacate the keyboard area at intermission time. So then I sat and watched the crowd grow. This was a free event, it was a great night outside (very low humidity today!) and by 6:45 there were at least 500 people there and standing room only. So this was going to be the biggest gig I ever played w/my keyboard. And I was indeed sweating it. The big band starts their set late and at maybe 8:15 I noted that my stomach was telling me… “Hey, what’s up? I can deal without lunch – but dinner too?”…

Had no time to worry - they were on their last song. The vocalist came up to me and said “let’s get up there”. I took a quick gulp of water and headed to the stage. As soon as they hit the last note, I threw my song book, pedal, keyboard stand, music rack and power cable on the stage. By the time the other keyboard guy got his stand and board out of the way, I had the T2 sitting on the stage. Made my way to the keyboard “area” behind the drum set (made sure I was politically correct by complimenting the band members on the way up!). The vocalist and host are already at my side asking me “How much longer?”. The sound guys patched into their system from the T2’s mono output jack. I had no monitor other than a keyboard amp behind me that the other guy was using. I ran a rather hasty check and noted that the little keyboard amp behind me had terrible rumbling bass (blanked out all the other sounds from the T2). I elected to just go without the rumbling monitor behind me (tried adjusting it and it was either “all bass” or nothing) and rely on the singer’s monitor which was about 20 feet away from me.

OK – is anyone really still reading? Here’s probably the part that anyone who reads this post wanted to see… sorry for the lengthy setup. Somehow the adrenaline rush (I assume) helped me get through the show and the T2 sounded terrific!!! I had some friends in the audience and they said the T2 sounded better than the big band (of course I realize they were friends). During the first set the band played, I thought there was a good chance the T2 was going to hold its own in this particular environment given (a) the fact that the sound was professionally provided and they had some very large speakers up there; and (b) the polish of the Yammie styles and the realism of the instruments. I worried initially about running so many big band styles w/intros and flashy endings, but during the show, the crowd seemed to love it and not care that I was doing it all w/technology assistance. During that “fast 25 minutes” the dance floor they had set up was packed. After our performance, I received several compliments from the band members and they said the sounds on the T2 had amazing realism.

Bottom line: I would prefer not to do this again (going on the same stage w/a big band), but the experience not only improved my abilities, but it instilled even more confidence in me that the quality of sounds and styles in our arranger boards allow them to have a viable place in the music business.

Bottom line 2: Next time I will get more details and ask for more money.

If you read through this whole thing, first, well thanks! And second, I congratulate you – take a break – you deserve it!

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 08-10-2008).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239743 - 08/10/08 02:23 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Congrats Randy!
Yes the T2 is a fantastic machine.

Roel

#239744 - 08/10/08 02:27 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Randy

Great story. haha It sounds like a memorable occasion Wish I could have been there.

I bet I know some of these musicians.

The Tyros 2 is one heck of a versitile instrument when you're allowed to let everything shine.

#239745 - 08/10/08 06:29 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Good job, way to step up...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239746 - 08/10/08 07:02 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Randy,

Great post. I had a similar situation last fall when I did the opener for a 7-piece combo at a large marina in North East, Maryland. I used the PSR-3000 and the Bose L1. I performed and sang for an hour, did my usual routine, introduced the combo, and quickly moved my gear back into the van while they tuned up.

Several people asked me if I would consider staying around and performing after the combo finished. Unfortunately, I had another job just 10 minutes drive time from the marina and couldn't grant their wish. It was a neat experience, and you are right, ask for more money. The combo got $1,800 for their 3-hour performance. I picked up $100 for doing the opener.

Thanks again,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239747 - 08/10/08 07:42 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Thanks guys (for reading it all and your comments too!). I must admit that I love the sound and excitement of a live big band and direly miss being in a band like that. But one of the pitfalls of setting up 18 musicians on an outdoor stage is amplification and balancing it all. That's one of the key advantages the arranger has w/balanced styles.

Scott - yeah, you probably know several of these guys, most of whom are from Ft Walton and Santa Rosa Beach areas. I met a few of them before the show. Several of the guys are ex-military musicians like me.

Gary - thanks! So you've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt! I won't go out of my way to do this kind of thing again, but if I end up in this situation again, I will indeed request more $$ next time around. HA HA.

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239748 - 08/10/08 08:25 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
zuki Offline

Good reading and thanks for the song list with tempos. I can believe your story and Gary's. I also did a 3 hour gig before a local chamber symphony took over. Some of the symph members watched me in horror (how dare you do that!) Although their arrangements were awesome and the individual talent was there, collectively they were terribly out of tune, the guest singers were a joke and I couldn't bear to hear another song. Bigger is not always better.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#239749 - 08/10/08 10:23 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Randy
Great post and a story to which we can all relate. I have always said, "There is at least one surprise on every gig"...but you had a whopper.

I enjoyed reading it and was glad it didn't happen to me.

Eddie

#239750 - 08/10/08 10:47 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
is anyone really still reading?

Sure I am! I loved the detail, you described it wonderfully, I felt like I was there with you, watching you struggle with the stand, getting your gear set up while people are asking you "if it's going to take much longer" :-)

From what I make of it, you pulled it off quite nicely, congrats with that!

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#239751 - 08/10/08 10:53 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Thanks again guys – yeah, it was quite an experience from start to end. It had all the potential for a “perfect storm”… Quickening the tempos on most of the songs the night before the gig, changing the styles to ones I was not used to doing the songs with, and then the environment and pressure of the crowd. Yikes. More than $150 worth for sure. If anything, I “overpracticed” for this by spending all day yesterday going over it to the point I didn’t need the music. I am quite confident that had I not put in the extra practice time, I could have had a disaster on my hands because of the straining I had to do to hear the singer. Had I not been comfortable w/the changes, I could have stumbled on them and possibly knocked us both off the stage. I was fully prepared for (and expecting) a “root canal” but (thanks in large part to the quality and versatility of my keyboard) I lucked out with just a cleaning! HA HA HA!!

Randy

#239752 - 08/10/08 11:20 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Randy, this is my neck of the woods (I live in Destin)....

Where did you play, and what was the singer's name? Perhaps I know some of these people too...

Drop me a line next time you play around here... I'd love to hear you and your T2!

#239753 - 08/10/08 12:05 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Hi Diki - Thanks for reading! I worked the gig w/Phyllis Hasty. We both used to work a lot w/Ray Brown before he had medical issues and left for New Mexico. She has an orchestrated show based on WW-II songs called "Wing and a Prayer". When Ray was still here, we did the show several times as a combo (I played sax). After he left, she had several gigs booked for the show and I took the show from her CD and orchestrated it using T2 registrations. It was a labor of love and a fair amount of work but in the end it worked out very well w/the Tyros.

We played the affair called "Swingin' on the Boulevard" hosted by the Sinfonia Orchestra (Demetrus Fuller is the conductor). It was hosted at the Emerald Boulevard hotel in SanDestin. Here is a link to the announcement:
http://www.waltonsun.com/entertainment/boulevard_1925___article.html/sinfonia_swings. html

Ron Smith (retired Army saxman) is the lead alto and Leo Tisa was their keyboard guy who was kind enough to help me get everything in order during their intermission.

I have lived here also since '95. This was my last military assignment and I couldn't resist the opportunity put the roots down.

My day job keeps me humpin' and traveling, but if and when the opportunity arises, I'd welcome the opportunity to hear and work w/you too Diki. And if you ever have need for a good sax player in your gigs, please let me know!

PS - Ray Brown was in New Mexico for a while and as you may know he's back. He and Phyllis have worked some gigs. He has a standing Saturday night gig at Magnolia Cafe.

Randy www.saxyguy.com

#239754 - 08/10/08 12:51 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Randy and Posters.
I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and thanks to all of you that shared in it.
Randy, I think your authorship must be right up there with your musicianship.
You really write well and I know you play well,
Best to you and all,
Bebop

#239755 - 08/10/08 12:52 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Randy

I perform with Ron Smith sometimes with the 10-12 piece Swingin' Dick Tracys.

Here's a few clips from before we joined the band:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swingin+dick+tracys&search_type=&aq=f

#239756 - 08/10/08 12:53 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Come to think about it, you'll probably recognize Joe Occhipinti playing sax.

#239757 - 08/10/08 01:26 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Bebop: Thanks so much to you (and others as well) for the kind words! I do enjoy writing almost as much as I enjoy the music side of things. I was so elated that I got through the gig last night that I just thought I'd relay my experience.

I was on the road w/my job for six weeks - just got back last weekend. It was a long haul and getting my keyboard fingers back was on the "todo list" with cutting the back yard which had not been mowed since 22 June.

Scott - I checked the links for the Dick Tracy's - kewl! I recognize Joe on the alto. Who's the keyboard guy? Looks like a fun band!

Thanks again Bebop!

Randy

#239758 - 08/10/08 04:01 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:

Scott - I checked the links for the Dick Tracy's - kewl! I recognize Joe on the alto. Who's the keyboard guy? Looks like a fun band!
Randy

Hi Randy, yes, it's a blast to play with the Dick Tracys. Crowds love 'em.

Not sure what the guys name is. Somebody told me once, but don't remember. I think he's from Fort Walton.

#239759 - 08/10/08 04:59 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Randy, amazing story and very impressive!! Thanks for sharing!!

#239760 - 08/11/08 02:47 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Randy, To begin with I enjoyed your blow to blow account of what went on, it kinda put me right there. There is nothing like a challenge to make us grow, and you came through, great job.

Years before I started playing keyboard I had my own four-piece band, I played guitar and did the lead vocals. I was hired, just me, to play intermissions against a six-piece band. It was a country club with a large pool area. I had my guitar, an amp, a microphone, and an electronic drummer. When I saw the band and their setup I wished I had stayed home. I played the right songs at the right tempo and I had the dance floor packed they did not– one fantastic experience.

Today with a good arranger keyboard we can be more than a match for a big band. It comes back to what has been said here, a keyboard is a good tool but the success lies in the performer.

Thanks again Randy, John C.

#239761 - 08/12/08 10:38 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Randy ... enjoyed reading the post ... ALL of it ...

I think I would have gone the 'other way' so as not to 'compete' with the big band and used minimal arranger parts - guitar, bass, drums, and piano - would have given a different feel to your performance ... but no doubt the vocalist wanted the Big Band sound and you pulled it off ...
Nice going, and thnx for sharing ...

t.

#239762 - 08/20/08 12:58 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

And as Paul Harvey always said, "and now for the rest of the story".

Last Thursday I had rehearsal with the Dick Tracys. Ron Smith the sax player Randy mentioned he met at his gig was at the rehearsal. I mentioned Randy's name and he relayed a rather interesting story.

He said Randy had a keyboard something like mine. I mentioned it was the same, Tyros 2, (keeping in mind in this band all I use it for is piano, guitar, organ, etc, no fancy electronics, so he does'nt know what it can all do.)

He mentioned how good the singer was, and how great Randy sounded on the Tyros 2. He says, "you know when you hear a real live trumpet section come in way up high, how they will miss their entrance and be missing notes?" He just raved about Randy's brass section, playing way up high and all together, "like Maynard Ferguson"!

He then mentioned he thought Randy was playing with a CD!!!!!!!!!!!

I then tried to explain that it wasn't a CD, but live generic style backgrounds, and how they followed the player. He looked a bit dazed and confused by that idea.

But,the main thing here of course is Ron Smith, who is an excellent sax player, who had been in the service bands for years, and we've used him in our 10-12 piece band and he plays brilliantly, and with that background he has these great complimentary statements about our fellow Synthzoner on an arranger keyboard of all things, then
I think this almost calls for a prize, as I've never seen another post with a story and ending quite like this one )

Bravo for Randy.

Scott

P.S. Randy, did anyone do record this on audio or video?

#239763 - 08/20/08 05:34 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Guys - thanks again for reading and your comments.

Scott - My 'prize' was getting through the gig. When you've got 18 big band players watching and the keyboard player standing behind you there is much more pressure than the average job.

While they were playing their sets I sat and chatted with Ron's lady friend. She and Ron were both very congenial and I enjoyed talking to them.

It was definitely fun, but I'm elated that it's now behind me!

Randy

#239764 - 08/20/08 06:50 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Randy, I've enjoyed every minute of every post here - thanks for the fuel. I can tell you're still pumped up from the experience. I'm sure you'll be reliving this event for years to come.

Congrats, and BTW, I've never had an experience like yours.

#239765 - 08/20/08 07:51 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Randy. I've had similar experiences several times. The most recent was a few years ago at what I guess you would call a farewell party for a musician friend who was passing away. I had my g 1000 along side the Don Roberts Orchestra. I must say the board held it's own. I had lots of compliments from guys in the band.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online