SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#239762 - 08/20/08 12:58 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
And as Paul Harvey always said, "and now for the rest of the story".

Last Thursday I had rehearsal with the Dick Tracys. Ron Smith the sax player Randy mentioned he met at his gig was at the rehearsal. I mentioned Randy's name and he relayed a rather interesting story.

He said Randy had a keyboard something like mine. I mentioned it was the same, Tyros 2, (keeping in mind in this band all I use it for is piano, guitar, organ, etc, no fancy electronics, so he does'nt know what it can all do.)

He mentioned how good the singer was, and how great Randy sounded on the Tyros 2. He says, "you know when you hear a real live trumpet section come in way up high, how they will miss their entrance and be missing notes?" He just raved about Randy's brass section, playing way up high and all together, "like Maynard Ferguson"!

He then mentioned he thought Randy was playing with a CD!!!!!!!!!!!

I then tried to explain that it wasn't a CD, but live generic style backgrounds, and how they followed the player. He looked a bit dazed and confused by that idea.

But,the main thing here of course is Ron Smith, who is an excellent sax player, who had been in the service bands for years, and we've used him in our 10-12 piece band and he plays brilliantly, and with that background he has these great complimentary statements about our fellow Synthzoner on an arranger keyboard of all things, then
I think this almost calls for a prize, as I've never seen another post with a story and ending quite like this one )

Bravo for Randy.

Scott

P.S. Randy, did anyone do record this on audio or video?

#239763 - 08/20/08 05:34 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Guys - thanks again for reading and your comments.

Scott - My 'prize' was getting through the gig. When you've got 18 big band players watching and the keyboard player standing behind you there is much more pressure than the average job.

While they were playing their sets I sat and chatted with Ron's lady friend. She and Ron were both very congenial and I enjoyed talking to them.

It was definitely fun, but I'm elated that it's now behind me!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239764 - 08/20/08 06:50 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Randy, I've enjoyed every minute of every post here - thanks for the fuel. I can tell you're still pumped up from the experience. I'm sure you'll be reliving this event for years to come.

Congrats, and BTW, I've never had an experience like yours.

#239765 - 08/20/08 07:51 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Randy. I've had similar experiences several times. The most recent was a few years ago at what I guess you would call a farewell party for a musician friend who was passing away. I had my g 1000 along side the Don Roberts Orchestra. I must say the board held it's own. I had lots of compliments from guys in the band.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online