SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239752 - 08/10/08 11:20 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Randy, this is my neck of the woods (I live in Destin)....

Where did you play, and what was the singer's name? Perhaps I know some of these people too...

Drop me a line next time you play around here... I'd love to hear you and your T2!

#239753 - 08/10/08 12:05 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Diki - Thanks for reading! I worked the gig w/Phyllis Hasty. We both used to work a lot w/Ray Brown before he had medical issues and left for New Mexico. She has an orchestrated show based on WW-II songs called "Wing and a Prayer". When Ray was still here, we did the show several times as a combo (I played sax). After he left, she had several gigs booked for the show and I took the show from her CD and orchestrated it using T2 registrations. It was a labor of love and a fair amount of work but in the end it worked out very well w/the Tyros.

We played the affair called "Swingin' on the Boulevard" hosted by the Sinfonia Orchestra (Demetrus Fuller is the conductor). It was hosted at the Emerald Boulevard hotel in SanDestin. Here is a link to the announcement:
http://www.waltonsun.com/entertainment/boulevard_1925___article.html/sinfonia_swings. html

Ron Smith (retired Army saxman) is the lead alto and Leo Tisa was their keyboard guy who was kind enough to help me get everything in order during their intermission.

I have lived here also since '95. This was my last military assignment and I couldn't resist the opportunity put the roots down.

My day job keeps me humpin' and traveling, but if and when the opportunity arises, I'd welcome the opportunity to hear and work w/you too Diki. And if you ever have need for a good sax player in your gigs, please let me know!

PS - Ray Brown was in New Mexico for a while and as you may know he's back. He and Phyllis have worked some gigs. He has a standing Saturday night gig at Magnolia Cafe.

Randy www.saxyguy.com

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 08-10-2008).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239754 - 08/10/08 12:51 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Randy and Posters.
I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and thanks to all of you that shared in it.
Randy, I think your authorship must be right up there with your musicianship.
You really write well and I know you play well,
Best to you and all,
Bebop

#239755 - 08/10/08 12:52 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Randy

I perform with Ron Smith sometimes with the 10-12 piece Swingin' Dick Tracys.

Here's a few clips from before we joined the band:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swingin+dick+tracys&search_type=&aq=f

#239756 - 08/10/08 12:53 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Come to think about it, you'll probably recognize Joe Occhipinti playing sax.

#239757 - 08/10/08 01:26 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Bebop: Thanks so much to you (and others as well) for the kind words! I do enjoy writing almost as much as I enjoy the music side of things. I was so elated that I got through the gig last night that I just thought I'd relay my experience.

I was on the road w/my job for six weeks - just got back last weekend. It was a long haul and getting my keyboard fingers back was on the "todo list" with cutting the back yard which had not been mowed since 22 June.

Scott - I checked the links for the Dick Tracy's - kewl! I recognize Joe on the alto. Who's the keyboard guy? Looks like a fun band!

Thanks again Bebop!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239758 - 08/10/08 04:01 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:

Scott - I checked the links for the Dick Tracy's - kewl! I recognize Joe on the alto. Who's the keyboard guy? Looks like a fun band!
Randy

Hi Randy, yes, it's a blast to play with the Dick Tracys. Crowds love 'em.

Not sure what the guys name is. Somebody told me once, but don't remember. I think he's from Fort Walton.

#239759 - 08/10/08 04:59 PM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Randy, amazing story and very impressive!! Thanks for sharing!!

#239760 - 08/11/08 02:47 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Randy, To begin with I enjoyed your blow to blow account of what went on, it kinda put me right there. There is nothing like a challenge to make us grow, and you came through, great job.

Years before I started playing keyboard I had my own four-piece band, I played guitar and did the lead vocals. I was hired, just me, to play intermissions against a six-piece band. It was a country club with a large pool area. I had my guitar, an amp, a microphone, and an electronic drummer. When I saw the band and their setup I wished I had stayed home. I played the right songs at the right tempo and I had the dance floor packed they did not– one fantastic experience.

Today with a good arranger keyboard we can be more than a match for a big band. It comes back to what has been said here, a keyboard is a good tool but the success lies in the performer.

Thanks again Randy, John C.

#239761 - 08/12/08 10:38 AM Re: WHEW!! My Tyros 2 Against an 18-piece BigBand!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Randy ... enjoyed reading the post ... ALL of it ...

I think I would have gone the 'other way' so as not to 'compete' with the big band and used minimal arranger parts - guitar, bass, drums, and piano - would have given a different feel to your performance ... but no doubt the vocalist wanted the Big Band sound and you pulled it off ...
Nice going, and thnx for sharing ...

t.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online