SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239684 - 08/08/08 09:32 AM Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Diki or Fran,

I've been using my G70 for a while now and really like the sound. There is one thing about it that drives me nuts, when you start it up all part (LH and RH) volumes are at max. Half the time the sliders don't seem to respond until you move them up and down a couple of times. When you use a registration it's the same thing all over again. Switch back out of a registration volume levels are all screwed up.

I used a registration at a gig yesterday that had the piano on RH voice 1 set below max. I switched out of registrations and started another song and realized the piano was too soft. I bump the slider up to max and no response. I have to slide it up and down on the fly while playing to finally get it to respond.

Is it supposed to work this way?

Also a quickie, when I go to drawbars memory number 5 is always selected. How can I change this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom

Tom

#239685 - 08/08/08 10:30 AM Re: Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, first things first, Tom...

In the Utility page, the is a 'Startup' button, takes you to a section where you can specify which UPG gets loaded at Startup (p.31 in the manual). So you can create a special UPG for when you power up that has everything the way you want it.

Secondly, with respect to the sliders...

As with all keyboards with sliders that are not motorized, if a UPG is called up where the slider's physical position does not match the stored value, you have to go 'through' the stored position before it will start to make a change. Trouble is, of course, if you don't have the slider (mixer) page open, you usually don't know if the slider's physical position is above or below the stored value

My workaround for this is to jam all the sliders to the top or bottom (depends on whether I think I am likely to want to change levels, or drawbar registrations - levels to the bottom, drawbars to the top) just before I make a UPG change. Then, at least I know I have to go in one direction, no matter WHAT I have to change. Then you pick up the stored value on the way up, guaranteed (if starting at the bottom).

At least it's better than the parameter 'jumping' immediately to the slider's physical position as soon as you move it. You always get a nasty surprise with that system! Bottom line is, if you open the mixer page (or HB section page) while you do this, it's much easier to see what is happening. You don't REALLY have to go all the way up or down before it latches, but if you don't know the stored value, looking at the mixer page is the only way to see it. Watch what happens on the screen next time, you'll quickly get the hang of what's happening.

Finally...

As to the drawbar registrations... The HB preset a UPG calls up is stored with the UPG. So, when you create your 'Startup' UPG, you can select which preset it will call up (and edit it to something different, if you want). Don't forget, as well, that the presets themselves are editable and storable... you can replace the factory settings with your own, for the eight upper and eight lower drawbar registrations, and store them. Just be aware that the HB Presets are stored in the UPS (User Program Set), as a global choice.

But, no matter which HB preset you have selected, the UPG itself stores any changes you make to the HB preset, so the eight HB presets are merely the jumping off point for a myriad of variations... (if you are using lots of different UPG's).

Hope this helps clear things up.

BTW... In future, could we do any Roland specific technical questions on the Roland-arranger forum? Half the time, any questions are answered by a simple 'search' there, and if not, at least the Q&A gets posted in a place where it may do someone else some good at another date, rather than lost in the clutter here at SZ. I monitor there as closely (or closer!) than I do here, so you won't get ignored...

#239686 - 08/08/08 10:32 AM Re: Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom ..yes the sliders work like that, but the numeral above each slider is always correct...this can give you the starting point, allowing to know which direction..
It has to be this way..these are multifunction sliders..

On the harmonic organ..I never checked to see if you can have the default to another ..other than 5,..but doesn't really matter...Once you power up ..it will remember the last preset you selected..The sliders will work the same in this mode..you have to grab the location of the shown draw bars..

But the better solution (The one I use .. )..select the manual tab..upper right corner...now all the sliders are accurate..what you see you get..This is a great option on the G70...

Any questions ..just holler..

#239687 - 08/08/08 10:52 AM Re: Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki..bad information you offered Tom..

The UPG will not save the organ "preset" selection....it will only recognize the last selected ..after power up..

Check it out, and see if you agree with me..

#239688 - 08/08/08 01:31 PM Re: Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not sure what you mean here, Fran. The UPG stores whatever HB preset you selected when you store the UPG, along with whatever changes you made to it as well, don't they?

I'm not talking about storing edits to the preset in the HB preset itself (you have to store that separately, and save the UPS) but if I call up say preset 4, and then store a UPG like that, when I recall the UPG, it comes up with preset 4 selected. And whatever I do to preset 4 before I save the UPG gets applied to the HB section. It's great for specifying if you want the rotor fast or slow when you first call up the UPG, distortion amounts, leakage, V/C settings etc..

But if you run 'free panel' like so many do, then you have to store what you want in the HB presets. And there are only eight of them (for each manual).

Are we talking about the same thing?

#239689 - 08/08/08 07:15 PM Re: Diki or Fran G70 is driving me nuts
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thanks for the info. I'll post Roland specific questions at the Roland site in the future.

Tom

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online