SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#239614 - 08/08/08 11:02 AM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
Unfortunately the demos dont show off the instrument for the better.

Strictly your opinion, spalding... I thought they were fine. The SA clarinet sounded very nice, the jazz guitar was not too shabby, either, and the acoustic piano does sound improved....

What, exactly, were you expecting? GIGA type sounds?

The T2 introduced the first time SA had been heard. Of course, that was a major revelation. But it seems unlikely that Yamaha will bring out something ELSE as groundbreaking as that, merely more examples of the same. More SA voices seems a good thing, doesn't it..?

But, after all, it's YAMAHA we are talking about... What could have possibly given you the expectation that the T3 was going to be radically different from the T2..? Apart from the SA voices, the T2 was hardly a big departure from the T1. I've been saying all along - If the T2 didn't temp anyone away from their current choice, the T3 is unlikely to be different enough to change that decision

You don't seem like the kind of guy that gets sucked in by TV infomercials (ooh..! I GOT to get one of those Sham-WOW's! ), why are we all getting our panties wet over Yamaha's teaser advertising?

#239615 - 08/08/08 03:23 PM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Wow, DNJ everyone is so fixated on the T3, they blew right by your HUGE assessment of the next Roland Arranger KB.

Remember I have Fran (Mr. Roland) in my corner All good things come to those who Wait

#239616 - 08/08/08 03:37 PM Re: The 4th piece is here!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
If wishes were dollars we'd all be millionaires
Dennis

PS: That Roland will create another arranger type keyboard, is not in doubt, never was. The conjecture is on the timing and what form it will take.

On the timing, I think it will be quite some time yet, on the form? I dont think it will be 76 notes, perhaps on the "home" variation it may have 76/88, vis-a-vis the Korg PA588. But for the "pro" I reckon they will move permanently to a 61 and extend the E80 with perhaps some Fantom G features.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-08-2008).]

#239617 - 08/09/08 02:23 AM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Beakybird Offline

So it looks like all of those 30 new styles at Yamahamusicsoft.com are from the soon-to-come T3. That is my conjecture because this new demo features the same style as the 20's style available for download at their website.

Will the T3 only offer 30 new styles over the T2?

I thought the demo sounded good, but I guess it wasn't groundbreaking. I think that as these instrument voices get more and more realistic, the TOTL arrangers are going to sound less and less impressive next to their predecessors.

I had downloaded this 20's style. The crackly sounds come from the second drum track. It makes it sound like the music is coming off of an old record.

What sets this clarinet apart is not so much the voice quality as that it was produced by a midi wind controller that is able to do runs and bends that would be almost impossible from a keyboard.

Nevertheless, I think that the T3 will be a tour de force. Just wait.

Beakybird

#239618 - 08/09/08 03:57 AM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Every arranger that comes out is supposed to be ground-breaking, sound totally new, and totally superior to it's predecessor, apparently. But for the life of me, I can't see where this has ever happened

1988. Roland E-20. Since then, nothing has been so "ground-breaking", from any manufacturer - Roland included.

#239619 - 08/09/08 04:44 AM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Dnj Offline

I couldn't care less about new T3 sounds or styles there's plenty of good ones available now......
I'm interested in better useful Features & Navigation like...
Much Improved Quality Vocal Harmonizer, Independently activated Style/Smf,Seq Play modes & MP3 with control sliders
Second Mic Input w/EFX & Dual Neutric inputs
Better placement of On Deck buttons
Drum Lock, Bass Lock, Style Lock features also ( this alone will give you endless style combinations)

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-09-2008).]

#239620 - 08/09/08 12:44 PM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
What sets this clarinet apart is not so much the voice quality as that it was produced by a midi wind controller that is able to do runs and bends that would be almost impossible from a keyboard.

I don't know if you have been following the thread from The Insider (Andy), Beaky, but you might want to revise that impression... The vast majority of the T2 SA Sax demo was played on a T2 keyboard, with minor editing in a computer sequencer. Most everyone was stating that that one was done on a wind controller, too.

While the Mega parts in some of the Yamaha styles may indeed have been performed initially on a controller, they are computer edited to get the Mega information inserted, but Andy says that most of the T2 demos are done just using keyboards. Those runs might be ALMOST impossible on a keyboard, but not completely impossible!

Amazing what talent can do, isn't it?

#239621 - 08/09/08 06:26 PM Re: The 4th piece is here!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I don't know if you have been following the thread from The Insider (Andy), Beaky, but you might want to revise that impression... The vast majority of the T2 SA Sax demo was played on a T2 keyboard, with minor editing in a computer sequencer. Most everyone was stating that that one was done on a wind controller, too.

While the Mega parts in some of the Yamaha styles may indeed have been performed initially on a controller, they are computer edited to get the Mega information inserted, but Andy says that most of the T2 demos are done just using keyboards. Those runs might be ALMOST impossible on a keyboard, but not completely impossible!

Amazing what talent can do, isn't it?

Diki,

While the demos that Andy (The Insider) wrote were for the most part played from the Tyros 2 keyboard, that doesn't mean the other Yamaha demos that he didn't create were. I know that some of the demos were in fact done with live musicians using MIDI controllers because I've spoken with the others who wrote and recorded them in person at AES and NAMM. Cubase was the predominant sequencer of choice for those that created the demos and as far as I'm aware none of the demos were actually recorded and played entirely on the instrument.

As I said, a great musician, Cubase, a computer, some massaging and manipulation of notes here and there, and there's your polished professional demo. Not exactly what I'd call playing it real time in one pass but if you're OK with knowing that you can't create the same demo using the instrument by itself, then that's fine. It's like saying I didn't cheat on the test but I did copy four out of a hundred answers off of my buddy when I took a test.

While these clinicians, demo makers, and performers are very talented, the way in which these demos are made allows for them to manipulate the demo in a manner in which it would be near impossible to play live. I'd much rather see the demo played live with no need for external manipulation but that wouldn't necessarily show off the instrument the way the manufacturer wants. Even Peter Baartmans and Michel Voncken use external sequencers to make the MIDI files they use live to back them up. It would be far more impressive if their backing tracks were created and performed entirely on the actual instrument but that's simply not the case.

I remember seeing some manufacturer demos at AES performed live years ago by Chick Corea, Chicago, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Herbie Hancock, Santana, Dweezil Zappa, and others. They were all played live (yes live), no edits, no sequencers, no manipulated notes, and it sounded awesome. That's what I would classify as true talent as a musician.

Computers are great, they can often make our work easier, but they don't make us better musicians than we actually are. Manipulate those tracks any way you want but the fact remains you can either play it live or you can't.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online