SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#239542 - 08/06/08 05:35 PM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve I posted this amp months ago with no interest from anyone & dont forget you can buy "TEN" Z5500 units for the price of a Bose system with Sub/Mixer...Now whats wrong with this picture?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

Hmmm, missed that post Donny, but then did a search. Found it. Interesting it's all on the approach. Having the positive review from Summer Namm could have made the difference.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-06-2008).]

#239543 - 08/06/08 11:13 PM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Until I see one (the Fishman), and play through it, it's all speculation. I definitely take the blurb about not needing a sub as questionable. You have to understand that these things are primarily marketed to solo acoustic guitarists (look at all the ads, 9 out of 10 are acoustic guitarists singing) who don't even HAVE any need for sub lows... but they DO need good low mids (which I often feel lacking on the Bose stuff).

I am prepared to be proven wrong, but I seriously doubt that they will give a solid kick drum or low synth bass the kind of 'oomph' that a system with a real sub will, at least at higher volumes.

Truth is, get the volume low enough, and even 4" speakers can make a 60Hz tone. Of course, the audience (or you ) won't hear it if they are more than 3 or 4 inches away!

Mark Twain said 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.. To that I would like to add 'specifications'

#239544 - 08/07/08 05:20 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Seems that there is a STORY behind the Fishman product.
http://www.gearwire.com/fishman-soloamp.html

#239545 - 08/07/08 06:07 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have to say I think the Fishman is much like the Bose L1 where the target user would be a singer/guitar player solo act.

I've heard an arranger(PSR-3000) through a Bose L1 (yes, it was set up properly) and it was disappointing to my ears...others seem to love the sound...I didn't.

I don't think the Fishman would be much better...especially since it doesn't have a subwoofer.

To each his own...

Ian

#239546 - 08/07/08 06:37 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I found this one interesting, especially when I noticed that my local music store and a nearby GC were listed as dealers. I immediately drove to the store, talked with the owner and he said "I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I've never heard or seen one, ever!"

When I showed the specs to the store's service department staff, one of them said he had seen one a few months ago and it was highly over-rated. That posted wattage is peak power--NOT RMS, and he said the system would be marginal for someone sitting in a saloon plunking his guitar and singing.

I'll be at GC later today and check with them. If they have one in stock, I'll check it out personally and report my findings this evening.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239547 - 08/07/08 07:14 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I've heard an arranger(PSR-3000) through a Bose L1 (yes, it was set up properly) and it was disappointing to my ears...others seem to love the sound...I didn't.Ian

What excactly was lacking to your approval with the Bose system Ian?

#239548 - 08/07/08 09:43 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I found this one interesting, especially when I noticed that my local music store and a nearby GC were listed as dealers. I immediately drove to the store, talked with the owner and he said "I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I've never heard or seen one, ever!"

When I showed the specs to the store's service department staff, one of them said he had seen one a few months ago and it was highly over-rated. That posted wattage is peak power--NOT RMS, and he said the system would be marginal for someone sitting in a saloon plunking his guitar and singing.

I'll be at GC later today and check with them. If they have one in stock, I'll check it out personally and report my findings this evening.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary..only a fool believes the numbers...As an example..One of my "old" Roland Keyboard 100 amps {Roland rated at 100 watts}..will out punch the Bose 750 watt unit..and even will out blast the Yorkvilles {NX520p's} that I use ..The Yorkville's out perform the Bose too..

I use my ears and what I feel over someones overstated numbers...

#239549 - 08/07/08 10:01 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I was very curious and contacted fishman.com. A rep made the following comments via an e-mail when I asked how it would be with a keyboard

"I'm an acoustic guitarist. I had a chance to try out the amp in a few different applications last weekend. One acoustic guitar / vocal solo gig at a small restaurant where it worked great. One small DJ karaoke gig, where I used it for two vocal microphones and prerecorded music. And one rehearsal, where I ran a small mixer with multiple vocals and instruments (including a Nord electric piano) through the item as a rehearsal monitor. I thought the sound of keyboards through the speaker was great, although excessive bass may have put a bit of a strain on the speakers. It did fine with the electric piano, but some of the dance bass heavy DJ music got farty if the volume went up too high. (I had it cranked trying to cover a bar with dance music). Of course, that really isn't the intended application, but it helps me to have a lot of experience with a product when I'm answering questions for consumers.

The speakers have WAY more bass than the Bose product on its own (without subwoofer) and gave excellent room coverage."

#239550 - 08/07/08 10:05 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Audio Input/Output
• Amplifier 1 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ů), assigned to
L1 model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
• Amplifier 2 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ů), assigned to one or two B1 bass
modules using the B1 Bass Module connector
• Output level, Line OUT: Balanced XLR connection,

This is taken from Bose manual..The system is a 500 watt and that is at 4 ohms..

#239551 - 08/07/08 01:00 PM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Fran, the earlier unit (PAS) was 3, 250watt amps, the newer one seems to have been changed. BTW - your old Roland tanks are so bass heavy, that no one could hear enough clarity to judge the volume! hee heeee...
Behave .... we know you hate all non Roland stuff.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online