SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#239532 - 08/06/08 06:51 AM Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
I wan't to upgrade my Logitech z5500 speaker system to Bose L1.At present i'm playing S900 and i'll purchase Tyros-3 when it is launched.Is BoseL1 speaker system sound better for s900 and Tyros keyboards?What is the sound quality difference between Z5500 and L1 speaker sytem?please clarify.

Thanks,
Sunny

#239533 - 08/06/08 06:57 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Dnj Offline

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speake...p&src=musicians

One is for PC gamers> one is a Pro Personal amplifictaion system........$250.00 vs $2500.00

Better? thats up to the player not the speakers

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

#239534 - 08/06/08 07:08 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The biggest thing, and perhaps the only thing the Logitech has going, compared to the Bose, it's much less $$ and a great bang for the buck. Otherwise, the Bose excels in every respect, IMO. You need to try it out yourself.

#239535 - 08/06/08 10:43 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
ocomain Offline

A newer (and less expensive alternative) to the Bose systems is the Fishman SoloAmp, with a street price just under 1k. Check out the product videos:
http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

2008 Summer NAMM "Best In Show" Winner!

Portable and Powerful

Designed for the singer/songwriter, SoloAmpTM provides exceptional sound quality and coverage in a wide variety of venues. 220Watts of clean, lightweight power drives a line array of six custom high-excursion speakers and a soft dome tweeter. This unique combination delivers incredibly full sound, ultra-wide dispersion, and deeper sonic penetration than the common speaker cabinet. Better yet, the enhanced bass response of the custom-designed speakers means there's no need for a subwoofer!

It's a P.A., and an Amp.

With SoloAmp, the performer and audience hear exactly the same sound, meaning there's no need for separate wedge monitors or a combo amp backline. And because SoloAmp is voiced for the singer/songwriter, acoustic instruments and vocals are projected with superb depth and clarity.

The Ultimate in Portability

SoloAmp weighs only 25lbs*, ships complete with a padded bag equipped with wheels, and includes a rugged speaker stand. Set up takes less than a minute, with only one trip to the car! And full-digital universal power means SoloAmp is ready to travel anywhere in the world.

Features Performing Musicians Demand

Fishman didn't make SoloAmp this portable by scaling back on features or tone. In fact, they've included all of the award-winning elements of the Loudbox family, and added a unique Monitor feature designed to revolutionize an acoustic duo's ability to hear each other on stage. SoloAmp is also equipped with two mic/instrument channels featuring high-quality preamps, each with 3-band EQ, phantom power, built-in reverb, effects loop, and feedback-fighting notch filter and phase controls.

Specs

* Compact Line Array = Ultra wide horizontal dispersion & deeper sound penetration

* Two Mic/Instrument Channels

- High-quality preamps
- 3-band EQ
- Phantom Power
- Independent Reverb level
- Effect Loop
- Feedback-fighting Phase and Notch filters

* Drivers

- Six 4' mid-woofers, patented dual gap, high excursion design, neodymium magnets (200W)
- One 1' neodymium soft dome tweeter with level control (20W)

* Auxiliary Stereo Input with Level control

* Four Digital Reverb effects with master level

* Balanced XLR D.I. outputs for both channels and main mix

* Unique Monitor I/O for improved on-stage ensemble monitoring

* Mute with remote footswitch input

* Tuner Output

* Ships with Stand and padded Carry Bag (w/ wheels)

* Dimensions: 41.5' H x 5.6' W x 6.6' D

* *Weight: 25 lbs without Stand, 35lbs with Bag and Stand

The original designer of the SoloAmp (Jack Campbell) sold the concept to Fishman back in 2005 and is unhappy that they took so long to get it into the marketplace (Fishman kept making changes). He is releasing his original design at Winter NAMM in '09, which will be called the BagAmp and sell for under 500.00 (half the price of the Fishman product). His recounting of the entire SoloAmp saga can be found here (this guy is quite the character as you will discover!):
http://www.aboutjack.com/soloamp.shtml

In the Acoustic Guitar Forum (you should read all 3 pages of postings) he discusses his work with line array speaker systems and compares the Fishman SoloAmp to the Bose L1 (which he once owned):
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128706

I plan on using the Fishman (or BagAmp) system with my Line 6 PodXT Live & Variax guitar setup (mostly acoustic and clean electric guitar), as well as a TC Helicon Harmony-G vocal harmonizer. I may incorporate occasional keyboard parts as well. If I purchase through Samedaymusic, I'll have 60 days to put it thru its paces just to make sure it suits my needs. The SoloAmp is supposed to be released sometime this month (August). Cant' wait!

Michael

#239536 - 08/06/08 11:10 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I own both the Z-5500 and L1, and both have their strengths. Overall, I prefer the Bose L1, however, a modified Z-5500 5.1 surround system is very close to the Bose in sound quality, and does an outstanding job. The modification is very simple. It essentially consists of replacing the center speaker with a larger speaker with better mid range frequency response and a longer throw, thus providing outstanding mid range for vocals and instruments alike. The sub is awesome, and the satellites do an excellent job is producing crisp, clear high frequency sounds. And, the Z-5500 is 550-watts RMS and 1,100-watts peak power. There are lots of pros using this system in restaurant and nite club settings for audiences to 125 people and report incredible results.

The L1 is an outstanding system, 750-watts RMS and 1,400-watts peak power. The 24 speakers contained within the 7-foot column provides 180 degree coverage with very little falloff, even at significant distances from the speakers. This, when combined with a single sub will easily handle most audiences to 300 or more people, depending on crowd noise, venue configuration, etc... The sounds are incredibly crisp, clear and distinct, both keyboard and vocals. If you make a mistake, everyone in the venue will hear it.

Neither of these can be considered a Conventional Sound System--they're not. Some performers love them, while others claim they're just not sufficient for their purposes. The beauty of purchasing the Bose L1, however, is you can try it out for up to 45 days and if you or your audiences do not like what they hear, you can return it for a full refund--NO QUESTIONS ASKED! That's one hell of a manufacturers guarantee.

Logitech has an outstanding service department, and excellent warranty, but the returns are up to the descretion of the dealers. If something goes bad with the Z-5500 during the warranty period, give them a call and they'll send you a brand new system--NOT JUST REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE PART! And, most of the time they will send the replacement unit out the same day. The only thing you have to do is return the old unit's remote reciever--neat.

The choice is yours. You can go with a conventional sound system, which means speakers on poles and lugging heavy equipment. Or, you can take the plunge and try something unconventional.

Good Luck on whatever system you decide upon,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239537 - 08/06/08 11:16 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
ocomain Offline

For keyboards, the SoloAmp features a 1/4 inch stereo (TRS) Aux Input which mixes the signals to mono when amplified.

The Monitor Input may also be used an another audio input, just like the Aux Input.

User manual can be downloaded from the Fishman site.

According to one of Jack Campbell's postings on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

"...to cut through the technicalities, in reality, in a small club environment of, say, 100+ capacity or so, Fishman's product should sound better for guitar + vocal than the much more expensive Bose L1 -- even with my grumbling. Why?

I am familiar with the active feedback servo bass augmentation scheme they've implemented with these truly terrific 4-inch drivers. Believe me, the bottom of that fat acoustic sound we all love is there in a way an L1 cannot produce, even with a couple of their cute little "bass" cabinets. Other applications/instruments, I can't say. But, for the specific acoustic player/singer this thing was designed for, the Fishman product is better, theoretically and in practice.

No. I haven't heard one, but I can close my eyes and 'hear' the result of the technology approach they've implemented. There's no way it doesn't stuff the Bose for this usage."

Michael

#239538 - 08/06/08 11:51 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ocomain:
A newer (and less expensive alternative) to the Bose systems is the Fishman SoloAmp, with a street price just under 1k. Check out the product videos:
http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

2008 Summer NAMM "Best In Show" Winner!

Looks interesting I'd be anxious to hear what users who audition or buy it have to say.

Donny or Fran on one your field trips maybe you'll get to demo one and give us the low down.

#239539 - 08/06/08 11:59 AM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've auditioned and gigged with the Bose L1 System thru my Yamaha T2, and EXCEPT for its stereo sampled sounds (Grand Piano, etc, which sounded thin & brittle (lacking body) when mixed to mono) appreciated the natural (unhyped) sound it delivered, but I LOVE and APPRECIATE the impressive full bodied 1,100 watt STEREO sound and quick setup convenience of my new customized Z5500 setup. Thanks again to Pose for designing & building this terrific sounding z5500 system upgrade for me. Believe it or not, It's the best sounding PA I ever heard thru my Tyros2. If anybody else is interested in building a similar system, checkout this thread link: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017799.html

#239540 - 08/06/08 12:28 PM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
ocomain Offline

Scottyee,

Thanks for sharing the pic and info on your PA system, very cool indeed! I've been following the Logitech threads here for quite a while and seriously considered building my own setup but with my current hobbyist status with live performance and my desire to lessen the load, I am looking at other solutions. I still think the Logitech could be easily configured in a line array (I somehow remember someone building this kind of setup...but it was still heavier than what I wanted to transport).

Love this thread!

Michael

#239541 - 08/06/08 02:27 PM Re: Is Bose L1 better than Logitech Z5500?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Looks interesting I'd be anxious to hear what users who audition or buy it have to say.

Donny or Fran on one your field trips maybe you'll get to demo one and give us the low down.

Steve I posted this amp months ago with no interest from anyone & dont forget you can buy "TEN" Z5500 units for the price of a Bose system with Sub/Mixer...Now whats wrong with this picture?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online