SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239382 - 08/06/08 06:37 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Let me tell you a story Zuki.......this afternoon I performed at a facility thats a regular client of mine....I just happened to take another road to go home that was unfamiliar to me ....as I was driving I noticed two brand new facilities within 500 feet of each other that I never been to...I said Hmmmmmm?.....pulled in the driveway, left my SUV running walked in, introduced myself, asked for the AD, gave her my card, she asked me what I did I told her to just go on my website & she did while I was standing there listened a few demos and started to sing along smiling & says this would be perfect for my residents.....turned back to me and booked 4 jobs! Sometimes its a easy as that if you have the goods.....it can also blow up in your face if you dont. I wish you luck out there but try to expand your services to include many different venues if you really want to succeed each will make up deficits down the road that will fill your calender.
A quality Website also will contribute to your tool box big time for many scenarios where you cant show off live.

Good Luck

Zuki's been doing this just a few years...guys like you, Gary and myself have been doing this for 10-15-20+ years...

I agree completely about a website. It takes a relatively small investment these days to set up a nice, functional one that can really pay off.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239383 - 08/06/08 06:49 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I agree completely about a website. It takes a relatively small investment these days to set up a nice, functional one that can really pay off.

A Website in today's computer world is a must today Bill as you already know ...especially for the times people don't know you or what you do as a musician & your services. It acts as your personal worldwide Business card & just another great tool in your musical arsenal.....it has benefited me is so many way through the years.

Good Luck

#239384 - 08/06/08 07:35 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Donny,

Where or what 'other' venues do you play?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#239385 - 08/06/08 07:37 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Good one Fran! I almost didn't make it out of one the other day. There's a 95 year old lady there who keeps telling me, "If you ever get tired of your wife, let me know, I've got money." The hell of it is, I think she's serious.

Joe

Can you drop me her name and phone number? I want more gear

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#239386 - 08/06/08 08:11 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Gene-

Another thing to be prepared for is the "RDG" other wise known as the Resident Death Grip...

Every so often, you'll be shaking hands with people after your gig and someone, usually a woman, doesn't want to let go.

Sometimes you can slide her hand off of yours, sometimes you have to peel off her fingers one by one.

Another technique that I've used is to say "Hey, can you touch your nose with your finger?" 9 out of 10 times, they let go...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239387 - 08/06/08 09:28 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

The good news is that the worst of this job is still better than any other job!

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 08-08-2008).]

#239388 - 08/06/08 10:38 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Then there's hiring the cheapest acts they can find, and balancing it out with 1-2 top notch acts every month so no one notices...

The trick is becoming one of the top 1-2 top notch acts, eh?

I agree, the turnover in AD's is getting faster and faster. I see so many young ones coming in and then being gone by the time I come back in 2-3 months, its almost commonplace...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239389 - 08/07/08 07:08 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lucky,

Yes, things have really changed during the past year, especially with budgets and AD's being changed every couple months. Fortunately, there seems to be more, new facilities being built in this part of the world than anyone can imagine, all of which are potentially new clients.

I've already begin working on my 2009 bookings, and as of this morning, 48 jobs are on the books for 2009--including NYE. Today's job is a new location for me, and I'm relatively sure they'll book once a month for 2009. Same goes for tomorrow's job, which is at an upscale retirement community where I perform every month--they said to bring my 2009 calander. THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR TO BEGIN BOOKING 2009--NOT NOVEMBER OR DECEMBER. By then, most of the entertainment for 2009 will already be booked and the only thing left is the scraps.

The biggest problem in this part of the nation is there are folks that play for little or nothing, and the ADs hire them based upon price--NOT TALENT! Some can't sing, some can't play, and most cannot do either very well. Unfortunaely, they still nibble away at the ADs overall budget, which leaves very little for their top performers.

Zuki is right in saying you have to constantly market yourself and your product. This is just one of many important aspects of being successful in this business. When Donny walked into the new facility and made contact with the AD he was utilizing one of the most effective marketing tools available--direct contact. He then utilized his sales ability, provided the AD with instant access to view his product, and was fortunate enough to get in on the ground floor.

Gotta go to work,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239390 - 08/07/08 09:32 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Gary,

You and most of the others here have your fingers right on the pulse. We’re a unique breed, those of us who play these places regularly, and we know how different these jobs are from the standard dance gigs.

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 08-08-2008).]

#239391 - 08/07/08 01:51 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lucky,

I pretty much agree with everything you said. The place I performed today was a first performance, one that came my way because a good friend is very ill and could not do the job. The AD had never heard of me, but she went on the recommendations of my friend. At the end of the job, which went about 20 minutes over the allotted time, she said "I'll call you tomorrow morning and book you for some additional dates if that's OK with you." I love those kind of responses and I'm fairly confident she will have me there on a monthly basis. Plus, I gots lots of handshakes, hugs and kisses from all the ladies attending, both young and old. GOD I LOVE MY JOB!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online