SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#239063 - 07/29/08 12:52 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ will verify this. I only play in jazz clubs and/or for jazz audiences and in that environment, HOW you play the tune is more important than WHAT tune you play. Nobody comes to these places to hear something that 'sounds just like the record'. That gives you a lot of freedom and also allows you to rehash the same tunes for 40 years . People that like the sound of a jazz organ trio (plus soloist) come to hear the sound of a jazz organ trio, not a particular song. The only request we will take is Happy Birthday and that is usually only one verse long.

chas

#239064 - 07/29/08 01:26 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas is right. As much as anything, jazz is an ATTITUDE...an approach to free-form, but complex structure. It's trading ideas and playing off of each other extemporaneously.

Sometimes, there will be a unique joint effort(players and listeners) to take a tune in an entirely different direction.

In those rare, magic moments, the high is unbelieveable.

To understand you have to experience it.
And once you do, it's a life-changer...something you never forget.

And those moments are, for me at least, what makes it all worthwhile.

Russ

#239065 - 07/29/08 02:18 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Chas is right. As much as anything, jazz is an ATTITUDE...an approach to free-form, but complex structure. It's trading ideas and playing off of each other extemporaneously.

Sometimes, there will be a unique joint effort(players and listeners) to take a tune in an entirely different direction.

In those rare, magic moments, the high is unbelieveable.

To understand you have to experience it.
And once you do, it's a life-changer...something you never forget.

And those moments are, for me at least, what makes it all worthwhile.

Russ

+1.....After playing in jams with thinking, gifted players, you go back to your arranger keyboard, and just look at it?? A moment for wistful thought..and then , "Oh well I guess it pays the bills..."

And onward you go again.

Where I live now, the opportunity for wonderfully fulfilling musical interaction with others is a very rare one indeed.

I cannot convince my other half and child that we should move back to somewhere even remotely connected with musical civilisation.

Playing gigs here, we have to put up with calls of "play Mustang Sally, play Sweet Home Chicago, play Brown Eyed Girl etc etc, "..and on it goes ad infinitum, ad nauseum, and whilst playing these (because the customer is always right, at least according to the venue owner!) your mind wanders to a happy place and you get through yet again.

Down here they would think Chick Corea is some form of south american legume!!

Back on topic though... Russ you said it perfectly.

Dennis

#239066 - 07/29/08 02:38 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dennis, I'd be proud to play "Mustang Sally", "Brown Eyed Girl"...whatever, with you.

It's the interpretation and the collaboration that's important, and I believe we'd TEAR IT UP!

Actually, I like Brown Eyed girl and a bunch of other Morrison stuff.

Plus, We'd OD on Leon Russell.

And that would be GREAT!

All the best...

Russ

PS: There's a group called the Vipers from New Zeland. Tony Monaco (met him at this years summer NAMM) told me that Adrienne and her husband (a fine jazz guitarist) are going to or have relocated to the US.

I'm not quite as traditional as the Vipers, but think they're really good.

By the way...you'd be welcome on my bandstand-anytime!

Russ

#239067 - 07/29/08 03:57 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Biggest problem me and my mate have, playing to mixed age group audiences, is finding modern dancable pop songs that are playable by a pair of 50+ blokes without said blokes looking like total idiots.

We are a dance band so we play stuff people want to dance to. If that means Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl so be it. We get a buzz from a full dance floor.

We (that is all of us to a greater or lesser degree) just have to accept the fact that our normal audiences have musical tastes that do not match ours. Given that we both like medium to heavy metal this is probably not a bad thing!

#239068 - 07/29/08 06:18 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Certainly agree with Bill's comments-also your's Scott-It's got to 'feel right'
I was playing 'Sweet Georgia Brown' today -somehow I switched into 'am I blue' (always looking for songs to go together in a medley).Did 'Am I Blue'in a medley about 30 years ago-with a lady singer-and wondered if there were words for a male singer-took your advise Scott & went to Utube-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QhuDkX5uw&feature=related
-neat! Thanks for the idea!

#239069 - 07/29/08 09:09 PM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Dennis, I'd be proud to play "Mustang Sally", "Brown Eyed Girl"...whatever, with you.

It's the interpretation and the collaboration that's important, and I believe we'd TEAR IT UP!

Actually, I like Brown Eyed girl and a bunch of other Morrison stuff.

Plus, We'd OD on Leon Russell.

By the way...you'd be welcome on my bandstand-anytime!

Russ

Thanks Russ, I feel, from your posts and song selections on another thread as well, that it would be a hoot..I will check out the Vipers, it is a name I have heard but don't know much about.

Yeah I also do Moondance from Morrison as well, Gloria's a bit diff, without a band.. but I do Feelin Alright with just a drums/bass backing (oh and a couple of small horn parts I play in the last chorus) and it ALWAYS goes down plus I throw in some tunes from Moonlight and Lovesongs, imho, some of the best interpretations going.. when the timing is right.

Take care, and thanks again for your kind words.
D

#239070 - 07/30/08 08:26 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I pick songs according to how well they translate to instrumental arrangements.

It also depends on the age group and the venue.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online