SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238974 - 07/27/08 09:44 AM Need to buy a laptop
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I need a laptop for general use, word processing, spreadsheet (I use Open Office) and internet surfing. I suppose I would rather stick with XP. They still have not got Vista right, correct? I also heard XP is much faster.

I might buy a 22" screen as well to hook up when in my office.

Any advice appreciated. Where can I get one with XP? Any need to spend over, say $700 for the laptop? I prefer to keep computers for a long time, it's a pain to get a new one and transfer stuff.

#238975 - 07/27/08 10:08 AM Re: Need to buy a laptop
Dnj Offline

#238976 - 07/27/08 10:37 AM Re: Need to buy a laptop
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
From what the tech sites say and from my kids experience vista is a lot better now. And both my kids like it on their laptops.
I don't know about music programs.
I still use xp only because I don't need a new computer.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-27-2008).]

#238977 - 07/27/08 11:20 AM Re: Need to buy a laptop
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I believe the Vista OS is okay now ..for the most part..

As for compatibility issues with music programs..it appears the main obstacle..is the 64 bit Vista OS...Stay with the 32 bit Vista and you will be fine..

My sites are on the Toshiba U-405 2833..I want the fast dual core T-8100 Intel processor and the 4 gig ram...not to mention the 250 gig hard drive..This has the best overall ratings....

#238978 - 07/27/08 11:28 AM Re: Need to buy a laptop
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
If you want to stay with XP I would look at a Dell. I once supported very large networks and still have a few friends who are active in the business. They tell me that Dell products are by far the easiest to convert back to XP because the drivers are available. Others like the new Toshiba and IBM laptops are almost impossible to cconvert back to XP.

Hammer

#238979 - 07/27/08 11:49 AM Re: Need to buy a laptop
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
XP is still available to buy for new computers, (Only the Retail versions have been discontinued by Microsoft) so you should be able to specify XP on any computers built by 3rd parties. (This also includes Dell)
For what you want your computer for, Vista will be fine, (Go for the Home Premium version) and you will not need a high end Laptop, just a simple one will do. (Once you get past the initial changes in Vista compared to XP you should get on with it quite well)
If you want to use your computer for music then get the most powerful one you can, (VSTs and music software eat up resources) and avoid Vista in any form. (It is a total disaster with music, no matter what version you buy)
Above all, enjoy your new computer.
Hope this helps

Bill

#238980 - 07/27/08 01:43 PM Re: Need to buy a laptop
Notes_Norton Offline

Loc: Ft. Pierce, FL , USA
I've used IBM/Lenovo Think Pads for years and I recommend them very highly.

I play one-nighters, and I do it for a living, in other words, my computers get abused. They ride around in a van, bounce on stage on a keyboard stand, run for hours without being turned off and without a cooling mat, and suffer all the other abuses of the road.

I bought my first ThinkPad in 2001, it is still on stage, bouncing around on my keyboard stand. The only work I've done on it was to replace the hard drive after the factory one started making a mechanical noise.

And yes the ThinkPad is still available with XP and it is built much tougher than a Dell or HP.

Insights and incites by Notes

------------------
Bob "Notes" Norton
Owner Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com

#238981 - 07/27/08 01:46 PM Re: Need to buy a laptop
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bob,
I totally agree - years ago a very large company ordered two large truck loads of IBM Thinkpads for the sales staff. They were abused beyound belief but never gave the support group any problems.

I didn't know you get still get them with XP.

Hammer

#238982 - 07/27/08 04:56 PM Re: Need to buy a laptop
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Bob,
I totally agree - years ago a very large company ordered two large truck loads of IBM Thinkpads for the sales staff. They were abused beyond belief but never gave the support group any problems.

I didn't know you get still get them with XP.

Hammer

When I was on the road selling the company I worked for ordered Think Pads for the 2000 plus sales force. They worked very well and as others have commented they can take the abuse.

I placed an order for some new computers on Thursday with the company I now work for. They are HP workstations and amazingly enough HP is readily shipping WinXp Pro. Many corporate customers are refusing to install Vista machines on their networks ( me included ). My sales rep also told me many corporate customers are still ordering Office 2003 as opposed to the latest Office 2007. Some manufacturers are also offering what they call the XP downgrade. i.e. the computer is delivered with Vista, but you also get a disk with XP included for a rollback.

I installed Vista on my laptop in 2007, I had a few compatibility problems. Enough of them that were frustrating enough that forced me to eventually buy an extra hard drive for the laptop. I then installed XP onto the new hard drive. I now have 2 hard drives one with Vista, one with XP. If I feel the need to play with Vista I just pop out the XP drive and swap in the Vista drive. 99% of the time I run XP.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-27-2008).]

#238983 - 07/27/08 05:15 PM Re: Need to buy a laptop
Dnj Offline

Wow with all these problems with Vista maybe its time for a MAC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online