SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#238817 - 07/24/08 11:54 AM Motion Sound Pro-3...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
or any derivitive thereof (Pro3, Pro3-T, Pro3x, etc). I've been doing some reading and searching on this horn-rotor amp thing and I'd like to know your opinions. Are any of the models better or worse than others? What about the rack mount version? Can you give a layman's explanation of just how it works? It seems to need an auxilary amp, so the horn must not be too loud, correct?

#238818 - 07/24/08 12:18 PM Re: Motion Sound Pro-3...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've been using a small Motion Sound horn only unit for over 10 years. It's light and gives real "spinning horns" sound. The simulator for creating the sound of the rotating bafel around the down firing speaker in a Leslie cabinet is noticeable, but not great. I use this with a Fender Bassman head for the tube sound and a 15 x 16 Peavy bass cabinet (a 15 and 2 8's.). It's on wheels and can be used to bi-amp, if needed. The unit I have (sorry, it's on a job site, so I don't know the number) has a single tube. It's not real loud, but does the trick for most smaller jobs. It was a little tricky to set up, but does the job. I recently bought a Pro 145, which is great for my C-1 one nighters.

If you're looking for a real rotating speaker sound, this is a viable option. I love to play guitar through rotating speakers, a la Lonnie Mack, Stevie Ray and early Three Dog Night.

If you were in the area, you'd sure be welcome to try mine out!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-24-2008).]

#238819 - 07/24/08 01:22 PM Re: Motion Sound Pro-3...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Had a Pro-3, then a Pro-3T (still have that)...

Killer solution for a small portable Leslie top. Low rotor is simulated, and yes, doesn't sound as good as the real thing, but is decent enough. It's the sims' inability to make the high rotor realistic that is the main thing, IMO, and as soon as you start adding those top three drawbars, it's night and day...

Used them on house gigs for years, but I don't like one nighters with it, due to the hassles of either carting a bass cab for the lows, or having it in the monitors, while the top comes out a different place... Yes, you have to mike it unless you are in a low to mid low volume gig. It's loud enough for that...

But if I could get a separate output for the VK section in my G70, I'd still probably use it..! It sits at the studio, now, and we run the CX3(mkii) through it, and quite often guitars....

But if you are purist, and want that B3/147 sound above all else, nothing but the real thing will do. It isn't the same... But it IS better than a sim

#238820 - 07/24/08 02:45 PM Re: Motion Sound Pro-3...
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I using the Pro3T for about 3 years, its the closest thing to the real thing, but this unit you can carry with one hand .
I use it with my Tyros 2 ad the separate output,sounds much better than the build in simulator,it is a real rotating horn .

Regards,
Impuls

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online