SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238765 - 07/23/08 12:55 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Love the David Benoit version of "Here, There and Everywhere". Tunes listed by Chas and Ian show that, in large part, any worthwhile tune is what you, the player makes of it. Think of "Masquerade"; written by Leon Russell (possibly my favorite pop writer) and first charted by Leon and by the Carpenters in the early 70's.

Then, Benson interpreted it and the rest is history. He had lost his recording contract and was going to dig foundations in Hawaii. He took a lot of flack for "selling out", but said in an interview, with 8 million copies of the "Breezin" album sold, he was too rich to really give a damn.

The secret, I think, is to play what fulfills you, interpret fundamentally good tunes, giving them your personal imprint, and figure out how to be satisfied with the results (read that money, recognition, personal satisfaction, sense of progress/accomplishment....whatever).

What a complex/satisfying/frustrating field we work in!

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Russ

#238766 - 07/23/08 02:01 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, you're always stiring up good memories for me. I met David Benoit at one of the annual jazz festivals at Honokaa, Big Island, Hi. James Moody (at about age 80, was also on the bill). Fantastic concert with the crowd pleaser being Moody doing the very funny Eddie Jefferson parody of Pennies from Heaven (Bennie's from Heaven). Some may not consider David a hard core jazz player but it sure as hell isn't because he can't; the guy has monster chops. I think his wife is Hawaiian. We were living about 15 minutes down the road at the time (Papaikou). Very good memories.

chas

#238767 - 07/23/08 02:10 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Tunes listed by Chas and Ian show that, in large part, any worthwhile tune is what you, the player makes of it. Think of "Masquerade"; written by Leon Russell (possibly my favorite pop writer) and first charted by Leon and by the Carpenters in the early 70's.
The secret, I think, is to play what fulfills you, interpret fundamentally good tunes, giving them your personal imprint,
What a complex/satisfying/frustrating field we work in!
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Russ

+1 to this, and extra to the Leon Russell comment. great songwriter.

#238768 - 07/23/08 02:51 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
captain Russ Offline

Chas, about 5 years ago, the local Jazz Arts Foundation sponsored a series of workshops and performances by Richard Davis; as you probably know, a performer and Jazz Educator in the Ray Brown Class. We were talking about Moody, and when I asked Davis about a particular recording, he suggested that I call him! Moody listed his home phone number on his website, and answered his own phone when I called!

I had last seen him at a mid-80's WNOP Jazz Festival (outside of Cincinnati-sponsored by a small but mighty jazz station), playing with Jimmy Smith. I was playing with Cal Collins, a great guitar player, who passed away a few years ago.

I think James Moody is a national treasure.
He's funny, a great singer, in addition to being the killer horn player he's considered, and has a list of lifetime accomplishments in education listed on his site.

The 20 minute conversation I had with him is one of my fondest music related memories.

Russ

#238769 - 07/23/08 04:45 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
captain Russ Offline

Dennis, in looking at your recent posts, I suspect that we agree on more issues than we disagree on, and I regret any past misunderstandings.

Be well,

Russ

#238770 - 07/23/08 05:03 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
miden Offline

Russ,
I think so too!

And sincerely, my apologies for things said in haste and anger.. not truly meant.

Thanks

Dennis

#238771 - 07/24/08 08:43 AM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
captain Russ Offline

GROUP HUG...GROUP HUG!

Dennis, there is something to be admired about articulating your opinion. You obviously think through the issues and are firm in your beliefs.

And, it never hurts we're on the same page on many issues.

I'll always enjoy the similar opinions and respect your right to have different ones.

Thanks,

Russ

(PS. Leon's a KILLER! Saw him live about 5 years ago here in Lexington. Wasn't moving too fast, but played and sang his ass off!).

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-24-2008).]

#238772 - 07/24/08 09:58 AM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Who are the kids going to play with today? For that matter - who are they going to listen to so they can learn?

Hammer

Wow, there are lot's of hot young Jazz artists today the kids can learn from, not to mention the old Jazz masters such as Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Bob James, etc. How about Keiko Matsui, Joyce Cooling, Richard Elliot, Lyle Mayes, George Duke, Grover Washington, and on, and on......

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#238773 - 07/24/08 11:25 AM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
captain Russ Offline

Good call on all the players you mentioned, Al. George isn't in the same age group as most of them...I think he's about Herbie's age, but what a great player! Got a George Duke CD in my car right now!

Russ

#238774 - 07/24/08 01:45 PM Re: OT: chas: "a new thread"
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
GROUP HUG...GROUP HUG!

Dennis, there is something to be admired about articulating your opinion. You obviously think through the issues and are firm in your beliefs.

And, it never hurts we're on the same page on many issues.

I'll always enjoy the similar opinions and respect your right to have different ones.

Thanks,

Russ

(PS. Leon's a KILLER! Saw him live about 5 years ago here in Lexington. Wasn't moving too fast, but played and sang his ass off!).

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-24-2008).]

Thanks for the kind words Russ, and I am envious as I would give anything to see Leon Russell live.

It's a shame his recent trip to Japan could not have included a diversion a bit further south!!

I reckon shows would be a sellout here...

Cheers
Dennis

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online