SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#238330 - 07/17/08 12:16 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For all the musicians happily bashing their former bandmates here...

How about that beam in your own eye..? I wonder what some of those ex-members are saying about YOU?

For every drummer that rushes, there's a keyboard player that drags I've seen MORE than my fair share of drunk pianists, bad keyboard players, players that don't know anything to do with their LH other than sit on the bass player's part, players who's patches are all at different volumes, players that insist on playing jazz chords over rock and roll songs, and players that couldn't play a sax solo on keyboard that avoided sounding like a kazoo if their life depended on it! Drug addicts, thieves and liars...

Let us not for one minute pretend that we, as keyboard players, somehow magically avoid all the flaws we are SO eager to place at the door of everybody else in the band!

#238331 - 07/17/08 01:11 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi Diki, -like I said 'I really miss my four piece group' -The drummer could really make those drums sing, the horn man was very very good-but like family, we all have our faults.
My problem was to be able to pick out a proper beat 'on the fly' & speeding on some fast tunes.
The arranger keyboard helps a lot in this area. I also like the feature-that anytime during a day, I can turn on my keyboard to try out a new idea.

#238332 - 07/17/08 01:28 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Can you post something done on the spoons.

Donny

Whoops, I mean chas.

Common Chas you must know no one plays here we just talk.

#238333 - 07/17/08 02:41 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Common Chas you must know no one plays here we just talk.

Yeah, let's count our blessings.

chas

#238334 - 07/17/08 03:10 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why keep them if you SOURED? & never play them, thats not enjoyable please elaborate, Id like to understand this more.....? BTW what made you so soured?

Two answers to question 1. I'm a packrat and still have racks of keyboards and modules from the 80's and 90's. They aren't worth anything and I have plenty of storage. Also, I like the guitars on the T2, especially the 'jazz guitar' which, bTW, isn't even a SA voice. I also like the SA sax but never use it because I find the sax on the Korg (Tenor Sax Noise 1) fits my music better and is more playable (whatever that means).

As to what soured me on the T2? First off, I bought it without hearing it first, mainly because of all the hype on this board . I'd never had a Yammy (arranger) but loved my old DX7 (I still have 3 or 4 TX216's stashed somewhere), so I thought I'd give one a try. Hated all the styles from day one. For me, they epitomized phoniness and sounded as far from 'live' as you could get. By contrast, I love the korg styles (with all of their imperfections and despite the counter-intuitive OS). They fit the type of music I play much better than the T2, although I can understand the appeal of the T2 for some people. Since i don't use an arranger for gigging, I'm more tolerant of the Korg's eccentricities.

Hope that answers your questions.

chas

#238335 - 07/17/08 05:28 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You know, what would be a telling question is "How much joy do you get playing WITHOUT your arranger?"

How many of us can sit at a piano or regular keyboard, or turn off ALL the auto stuff, and actually enjoy what we play?

In fact, I'll start a thread to ask that question, rather than hijack this...
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017867.html

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-17-2008).]

#238336 - 07/17/08 07:20 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
As I've said many times on this forum, I continue to play solo piano jobs as well as duos and trios and I love them and enjoy them also. I can more than hold my own on a piano. However, I still love the full orchestrations.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#238337 - 07/17/08 07:58 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
As a singer of some sorts the arranger has opened a whole new world to me.
I can sing to midi's to my hearts content and do one man concerts without worrying about someone playing for me.

Bliss!!!!!!

Cousin Ken

#238338 - 07/18/08 03:38 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Dnj Offline

Ken sounds like your indulging all the assets of an arranger

good luck !

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online