SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#238085 - 07/16/08 07:26 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Like I said, headset mics are not for everyone. There are singers out there that probably could work without a mic at all--I used to work with one. Fortunately, I'm able to control my vocals without changing mic position. Some folks cannot. It takes a bit practice and you have to learn a different approach to the songs. But, once the techniques are mastered it's a piece of cake to belt out those notes when necessary, and tone them down to soften the mood.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#238086 - 07/16/08 08:20 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
All of this is true, and you can't "work" a headworn mic like a handheld, but you do have a degree of control by adjusting the distance to your lips. The freedom of movement and eye contact has to be factored in.

#238087 - 07/16/08 09:03 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah, but as Gary pointed out you CAN do this with a headset mic. It's all in VOCAL CONTROL. You don't have to back off a mic in order to do this. The same thing can be done just by simply teaching yourself how to do it (if you're willing to learn). Mastering this can make your performance stronger as well.

I've seen tons of talented musicians (using a standard mic) sing without having to back off of the mic.. They had good vocal control (these weren't major recording artists either). In college I was blown away by some of the undiscovered talent on campus.., some of the best singers I've met in my life were in college.

Zuki, you can do this with a head set mic. As stated you can also adjust the distance between your mouth and the mic itself. You do what works for you of course as we all have a different approach to it.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#238088 - 07/16/08 11:56 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's very true, squeak, but as you already know, just about every single CD you hear, every recording ever made for probably at least fifty years, the vocals were treated with a compressor, to tame the dynamics and make it 'sit' in the track.

The thing is, our arrangers have nowhere NEAR the dynamic range of a real band... the drum samples are compressed, the dynamic range is a fraction of a real band. To help 'sit' in that mix, a vocal comp can go a LONG way to adding the icing on the cake, no matter how good the initial vocal control is. It is a rare thing in the studio that a singer is not pushed through an LA2A or similar, while tracking. Even the greats...

#238089 - 07/16/08 01:52 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah, I know everything's compressed when they do the mix in the studio. Personally I think they're going overboard with it today.., as EVERYTHING is getting compressed. Even live bands on CD (done by major labels) isn't sounding as "live" as it used to be. They got a compressor or limiter on everything!

I also completey understand what you mean about compression on the arrangers too. We've beaten that one to death in the past huh
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#238090 - 07/16/08 02:34 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess my take on compression and limiters, both in arranger keyboards and in the studio settings, is they have pretty much eliminated distortion and clipping, which might be a good thing. Of course, if you want distortion and clipping, they have specialzed effects devices and foot-switches just for that purpose.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#238091 - 07/16/08 09:42 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
zuki Offline

I'm looking into the AT system (Fran) and the new Shure (with the very small footprint 09 mic).

The AT system can be had for $569
The Shure at $479

Question: It looks like the AT headset would not be snug? Can't tell by the pic. Does it go around the ear or behind the head? What keeps it on the head?

Thanks again. Want to buy soon because I have my AX-7 on Friday and getting out front soon

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 07-16-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#238092 - 07/17/08 06:41 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have used this one for two years. The best I've had.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENEW152G2

Bernie

#238093 - 07/17/08 01:12 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
zuki Offline

Bernie,

Thanks for the advice also. I tried on that unit at GC and it just wasn't comfortable, despite its quality.

So I decided on the Shure PGX with the 09 mic. Great price and will work with me if not satisfied.

Going wireless.......

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online