SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238075 - 07/14/08 07:00 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah, it's expensive (if you can afford it), but it's a very nice mic and sounds great. I would assume that it would eventually pay for itself if you're performing with it, plus you can use her as a tax write off

If you tried it you'd get spoiled with it very fast. When you get into the groove.., these mics are feather light, and can feel like you got nothing hanging from your ear.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#238076 - 07/14/08 07:37 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Zuki, all those invisible mics are like $300 plus the receiver/transmitter set-up. The AT892, as I said, can be used with just about any wireless system. So, if you already have a wireless setup, just buy the AT with the appropriate end plug and you're good to go.

#238077 - 07/14/08 07:57 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
zuki Offline

Thanks guys. Man, these puppies are expensive

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#238078 - 07/14/08 08:46 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
miden Offline

Loc: The World

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-14-2008).]

#238079 - 07/15/08 06:40 AM Re: Wireless headset question - again
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
zuki,

Quality headset mics, both hardwired and wireless, are not cheap. However, some have been coming down in price during the past year or so. It would be a good idea to do some comparison shopping, and to also be sure you can purchase the mic from a retailer that allows you to return the mic in 7 tp 10 days if you're not satisfied with the results.

Over the years I have tried several, however, the Crown CM-311A has been the best I've found so far. The first one I started out with was the Audio-Technica PRO8-Hex, which sells for about $125. It was fairly good, but the clarity left a bit to be desired.

I tried a Samson headset mic, and while it was fairly clear and crisp, the fit was awful for someone wearing eyeglasses, and it was somewhat heavy.

The most expensive was the Countryman E6i, which is nearly invisible and so light you don't know you are wearing it. It's a great mic for a preacher standing at the pulpit, but it lacked depth. When I talked with sales person where I purchased the mic he said for vocals, especially for someone with a relatively soft, deep voice, he recommended the Crown CM-311A.

I havn't checked out the Shure yet, but a good friend of mine has one and he loves it. It's not invisible, but it is less noticible and lighter than the Crown.

The one thing I have noticed is that most of the headset mics that do not sit directly in front of your mouth are usually omni directional. This makes them more prone to feedback, especially if you do not have a powerful voice and need to crank up the gain a bit to get a good balance between keyboard and vocals. The super-cardioids and hyper-cardioids are very feedback resistent, which is a big plus when you are positioned relatively close to speakers.

Headset mics are not for everyone. They require the singer to utilize vocal control much more so than handheld mics because the distance to the mic never changes. However, headset mics give you the freedom of movement that you can never have with a handheld mic on a boom. You never have to worry about where the mic is while you are doing things on the fly. You can stand up, sit down, turn your head in any direction and the distance never changes. If some idiot from the audience comes up to talk with you while you are playing, most of the new mics have mute switches on the belt pack that turn the mic on or off with a single button push without making a popping sound.

Once you become accustomed to using a headset mic, you'll find it difficult to use a handheld mic. At least that has been my experience. As for the cost, well it's just one more business expense. Keep in mind, though, the quality of your vocals is one of the most important features of your performances. You can be the best keyboard player in the world, but if your vocals are not crisp and clear, your overall musical performances will be condisered as second rate.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#238080 - 07/15/08 07:13 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
zuki Offline

Thanks again Gary.

I think you summed it up pretty good. I do want a comfortable and quality product and nothing less.

Vocals are a huge part of my performance. I have good control on when I need to back off to belt it out and go close for the bassier sound. Not sure a headset can ever give me that, but really need to find out I guess.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#238081 - 07/15/08 07:16 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Vocals are a huge part of my performance. I have good control on when I need to back off to belt it out and go close for the bassier sound. Not sure a headset can ever give me that, but really need to find out I guess.

Excactly Zuki...I tried one for two songs ripped it off me and went back to my Beloved EV ND767 Mic....

"You Gotta Work The Mic" baby!!!

#238082 - 07/15/08 09:01 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Excactly Zuki...I tried one for two songs ripped it off me and went back to my Beloved EV ND767 Mic....

"You Gotta Work The Mic" baby!!!

That's what I was afraid of....will be hard to beat the 767.

#238083 - 07/15/08 09:07 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I love my 767a, too, but one of the things a headset will do is quickly make you aware of how important the vocal compressor can be, and how to dial it in well, if you record yourself for a reality check...

If you can get a headset to 'sit' well with your arranger, then the same basic techniques can be applied to the regular mikes, too.

#238084 - 07/15/08 09:15 PM Re: Wireless headset question - again
Dnj Offline

Wow.....

"Human Beings Behaving Humanly" "BRILLIANT"

James Lipton

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-15-2008).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online