SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#238024 - 07/13/08 12:41 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Fran, owe you an apology (I'm sincere). When you said 'band', I took it to mean multiple players. Your subsequent explanation of the configuration makes it clear that it is more like what Diki described as a OMB with multiple singers. That certainly explains why they couldn't do the gig without you. So ignore my previous rantings about the fact that the 'band' should have been able to muddle through the gig without you. Obviously not the case if you're doing ALL or most of the accompaniment. My mistake. Sorry.

chas

#238025 - 07/13/08 03:49 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Likewise...

Maybe I'm old school, but I've never heard the term 'band' used for this kind of lineup. What does a real band call themselves, now? An orchestra? A 'big band'? A thundering herd? There must be a term for four players that can actually PLAY, somewhere...

#238026 - 07/13/08 03:59 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
There must be a term for four players that can actually PLAY, somewhere...

A quartet?

#238027 - 07/13/08 04:19 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ALMOST happened to me ONCE ...
I had the anniversary party gig on the calendar for Friday ... that night I pass on dinner with my wife and her sister and brother-in-law to work on some obscure song that was requested ... I'm home, phone rings - "Where are you?!?" ... fortunately the gig was only 10 minutes from my house ... I was a 1/2 hour late, played the rest of the night without a break, people had a great time, but the woman who hired me bitched about it all night ...
t.
PS ... thank God I passed on dinner that night .......

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-13-2008).]

#238028 - 07/13/08 04:25 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
Diki Offline

A 'foursome', a four-piece, mayebe... but you won't see many 'quartets' outside of jazz and classical. (Yes, I knew you were joking, Ian )

Here's the thing... When smaller and more different outfits started to take over from big-bands, they DIDN'T call themselves 'big-bands' or 'Orchestra's'. They gave themselves a new name, for a new type of music. They didn't glom onto the same name, in an effort to hoodwink the public into thinking they WERE going to see an orchestra. They were different, and proud of it. 'Combo's' and 'bands' were the name they picked.

The unwillingness of today's 'pro' karaoke, or OMB plus singers outfits to find a name for their type of performance style is telling, IMO... Do they think that, if described more accurately, or at least given a term that the audience would know what they are going to get, it would impact their popularity? Possibly not, but there's a definite unwillingness to differentiate themselves from 'real' bands, if you ask me.

#238029 - 07/13/08 06:09 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I've never had that particular thing happen, but HAVE walked into various venues and had the client say, "What are YOU doing here?"

Once I get my heart back out of my throat, I pull out my contract, scheduling notes, billing invoice, etc. and make my case.

Knock on wood, but in almost 13 years of doing this full time, I've never been in the wrong.

Not that I'm smarter than anyone else, certainly not...I just can't afford to be wrong, lol...

Its to the point where when it does happen, the client-the last time, said "If Bill's here, he supposed to be...lets get some people for him!"

Stuff happens, Fran, sometimes...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#238030 - 07/14/08 08:32 AM Re: Blew it BIG time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
A 'foursome', a four-piece, mayebe... but you won't see many 'quartets' outside of jazz and classical. (Yes, I knew you were joking, Ian )

Here's the thing... When smaller and more different outfits started to take over from big-bands, they DIDN'T call themselves 'big-bands' or 'Orchestra's'. They gave themselves a new name, for a new type of music. They didn't glom onto the same name, in an effort to hoodwink the public into thinking they WERE going to see an orchestra. They were different, and proud of it. 'Combo's' and 'bands' were the name they picked.

The unwillingness of today's 'pro' karaoke, or OMB plus singers outfits to find a name for their type of performance style is telling, IMO... Do they think that, if described more accurately, or at least given a term that the audience would know what they are going to get, it would impact their popularity? Possibly not, but there's a definite unwillingness to differentiate themselves from 'real' bands, if you ask me.

Diki ... I have a problem using the "One Man Band" terminology, because being 'older' (67) it conjures up the image of someone playing an instrument while using a drum set strapped to his back and other 'props' to add rhythm ...
t.

#238031 - 07/14/08 11:48 AM Re: Blew it BIG time
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Call it what you want.
Diki will just pooh pooh it anyway!
Why must you argue ALL THE TIME? Sheesh.

#238032 - 07/14/08 12:37 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
Diki Offline

Have you ever been anywhere where everyone agrees all the time?

They are called 'cults', and scare the living poo out of most sensible people

#238033 - 07/14/08 09:19 PM Re: Blew it BIG time
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Diki,
I know from our private emails that you have a softer side, but why do you take such delight in stirring the pot so much here? Argument for the sake of arguing is no better than following along blindly, and it's so much more agreeable.

C'mon - try not to fan every little flame. Get a hobby. This mindless delil's advocate is old already.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online