SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237518 - 07/06/08 07:22 PM Tyros 2 broken
chony Offline

Loc: New York
As I was finishing a wedding Thursday night, I hit Variation A, and it caved in completely. Lucky for me it was the end of the wedding, as the no matter what variation I went to afterwards, the keyboard invariably returned to loop "Fill in A".

I just opened it up to try to fix it - or even disable it if need be (and use a pedal instead), but found that the variation buttons are attached to a motherboard with at least 25 screws. Has anyone tried dismantling this before? What do you suggest? I definitely need to fix that button before my next wedding this coming Tuesday.

Thank you,
Chony

Here are some pics - sorry for the poor quality - I took them with a camera phone under bad lighting:
This one is of the broken button:
http://simchatunes.com/pics/IMG_0327.JPG

This one is of the motherboard:
http://simchatunes.com/pics/IMG_0328.JPG

This one is a wide picture of the whole T2 inside:
http://simchatunes.com/pics/IMG_0330.JPG

This one is interesting because you see how much space Yamaha wastes on the left and right sides of the keyboard:
http://simchatunes.com/pics/IMG_0332.JPG

#237519 - 07/06/08 07:58 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

I would say with you 2 day time restraint GO FOR IT and see if you can disable the button or at least see what caused the cave in, loose spring etc, etc, ....you cant make it worse but you could possibly fix it or get it to where you can at least use a pedal for your variations until you can get it to a service center...keep us posted & take more pics once you remove the board.

good luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-06-2008).]

#237520 - 07/06/08 08:33 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Beakybird Offline

I would bring it to an authorized repair center, and I would offer to pay a fee to have it looked at that very day.

I would also have a backup keyboard (ideally another Tyros II) for emergencies and to practice on.

Good luck! Tell us what happens!!

Beakybird

#237521 - 07/06/08 10:41 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
''I hit Variation A''

I think hittting it is a bad idea, just press it gently and you wont damage it.

#237522 - 07/06/08 11:47 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
''I hit Variation A''

I think hittting it is a bad idea, just press it gently and you wont damage it.

Very funny . After three years pressing it gently one hundred times a day, it will also cave in...

#237523 - 07/07/08 05:56 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Choney,

I had a similar problem with the "break" button. In my case nothing else was affected, and actually the button still worked, but had fallen partially down inside the board.

I took it to an authorized repair man and for about $95.00 it was repaired. (convenientally out of warrantee) It took several weeks to get the part from Yamaha.

Don P

#237524 - 07/07/08 09:21 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Chony,

You have mail.

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#237525 - 07/07/08 01:48 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
Chony,

You have mail.

Thank you Steve, that is very kind of you!

#237526 - 07/07/08 01:50 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
Hi Choney,

I had a similar problem with the "break" button. In my case nothing else was affected, and actually the button still worked, but had fallen partially down inside the board.

I took it to an authorized repair man and for about $95.00 it was repaired. (convenientally out of warrantee) It took several weeks to get the part from Yamaha.

Don P

Here is NY, you'd have to pay $95, just to get a place in line at the service counter!

#237527 - 07/08/08 06:45 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Everything eventually wears out--even keyboard players. Flip a light switch in your house 100 times a day and it will probably wear out long before three years.

Good Luck, Chony,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#237528 - 07/08/08 07:29 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
How cool! A button on your T2 caves in on you, you share your experience here on SZ, and Steve Deming of Yamaha U.S. appears out of nowhere and offers you help. How cool is that!

PS: I've learned my lesson well when it comes to hitting the buttons on my Tyros. You have to be careful and hit "press" them "gently" or you could possibly be looking at trouble later on down the road. Like Chony.

The T2 is made in Japan too. The original Tyros, as we know, was made in China. Although, quality control (or the lack thereof) happens in every industry and everywhere products are made. Even in Japan. Or it could be that Chony just has an iron fist, or rather, an iron finger?? Either way, it's good to know Yamaha i.e. Steve, is looking over our shoulders offering customers of their products assistance in time of need. Bravo Steve!

Best,
Mike

#237529 - 07/08/08 08:34 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Here is NY, you'd have to pay $95, just to get a place in line at the service counter!

This is why a backup keyboard is imperative during a service delay....etc...
The Show must go on....

#237530 - 07/08/08 08:36 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
How cool! A button on your T2 caves in on you, you share your experience here on SZ, and Steve Deming of Yamaha U.S. appears out of nowhere and offers you help. How cool is that!

PS: I've learned my lesson well when it comes to hitting the buttons on my Tyros. You have to be careful and hit "press" them "gently" or you could possibly be looking at trouble later on down the road. Like Chony.

The T2 is made in Japan too. The original Tyros, as we know, was made in China. Although, quality control (or the lack thereof) happens in every industry and everywhere products are made. Even in Japan. Or it could be that Chony just has an iron fist, or rather, an iron finger?? Either way, it's good to know Yamaha i.e. Steve, is looking over our shoulders offering customers of their products assistance in time of need. Bravo Steve!

Best,
Mike

But what is Steve Deming actually doing about this particular problem.....speeding up repairs I hope or? We need more like reps like Steve all over the world....a good & SPEEDY repair is a happy customer!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-08-2008).]

#237531 - 07/08/08 08:44 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I give Steve Deming MUCHO respect! When I had the NP-30 and reported the issue which was eventually reported by quite a few owners.., I wasn't taken seriously at first (my understanding is I was the first one to report the problem).

I was sharing my experience with others on various forums..., and out of nowhere Steve Deming calls me at home. BAM!! problem found, Yamaha Japan confirmed.., shipped parts, took my unit to a local center and it was repaired. Steve's a very nice guy, and is always willing to help customers--personally I think Roland could use a guy like him, as they're not always considerate over the phone.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-08-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#237532 - 07/08/08 02:20 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When was the first time you saw a factory rep from any manufacturer other than Yamaha jump in and offer to help? I've been on this forum for a number of years and Steve is the only factory rep that seems to care about his company's customers.

Thanks Steve for everything you have done over the years,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#237533 - 07/08/08 02:49 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
When was the first time you saw a factory rep from any manufacturer other than Yamaha jump in and offer to help? I've been on this forum for a number of years and Steve is the only factory rep that seems to care about his company's customers.

Thanks Steve for everything you have done over the years,

Gary

Domenik from Lionstracs is always available and he answers any questions customers have very quickly. I've never seen another instance where the actual owner and President of a musical manufacturing company is so accessible.

Steve and Mark from Yamaha may pop up on this forum here and there but when I was having software issues with my 9000 Pro all I got from them was the run around. Yamaha knew the problem with the 9000 Pro was due to the CPU but they wouldn't come clean about it and lied to me about what was causing the problem. It wasn't until I spoke with another Yamaha rep at AES that he told me the truth. Needless to say that rep wasn't Steve or Mark.

I'm glad that reps show up on this forum but don't think just because they tend to one or two small problems here and there that they try and remedy them all. Yamaha certainly didn't care about my problem on an instrument that cost in excess of $4K.

#237534 - 07/08/08 03:53 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I also got a phone call out of the blue from Steve yesterday offering assistance for my Tyros 1 issues.

That Steve was hands on enough to make the effort to contact me personally and to offer to assist me in getting it repaired is simply awesome customer service.

Before I bought purchased my first arranger a few years ago, George Kaye put me in touch with him and Steve couldn't have been more patient or helpful answering my 700+ questions I had for him. Ultimately, I bought the Tyros mostly because of the info he provided.

Chony-The exact same thing happened to me with the T1...I would up switching some compatable buttons and haven't had any trouble since...

Oddly, my unit has stopped doing it (F & B's all sound at 100% no matter how lightly I depress them.) So for the moment, I'm in a holding pattern.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#237535 - 07/08/08 03:58 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:

I would up switching some compatable buttons and haven't had any trouble since...

what is up switching?

#237536 - 07/08/08 04:12 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
At the time I had a PSR3K as my backup and really, really didn't care for it...so, the solution that felt best was to switch my break button with the music finder which I never use...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#237537 - 07/08/08 05:54 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Steve and Mark from Yamaha may pop up on this forum here and there but when I was having software issues with my 9000 Pro all I got from them was the run around. Yamaha knew the problem with the 9000 Pro was due to the CPU but they wouldn't come clean about it and lied to me about what was causing the problem. It wasn't until I spoke with another Yamaha rep at AES that he told me the truth. Needless to say that rep wasn't Steve or Mark.

I dare say that not all Reps at Yamaha know the intricate in's and out's of all their companys products for the simple reason that certain information isn't always shared between the various levels of hierarchy, and or, amongst different divisions of management within the companies hierarchy.

But then again, if Steve or Mark did know the situation with the 9000 PRO and still gave you the run around, then it was most likely because their superiors told them to answer in a certain way if they got asked about that particular question i.e. "CPU being underpowered", etc., regarding the 9000 PRO. Being good employees of a company sometimes requires obedience in a situation where the actual employee(s) might not be in full agreement with the managements handling of the situation. In other words, they didn't want to lose their jobs in the process if they were to disobey the direct orders from their superiors, so they answered accordingly when asked about that certain 9000PRO issue or whatever the case might be.

I tend to think that it was a case of not knowing about that particular problem with the 9000 PRO instead. Since not all information is shared between different levels of management, because of company policy and management directives within the top levels of the company, some employees therefore are, needless to say, left in the dark regarding certain topics and areas of information with their companies products within different divisions, sub-divisions, or branchs of the company. Like our friend Ian for instance.

>> You know, the same kind of thing that happens regarding the sharing of information between the different branches of our Government agencies i.e. - FBI, CIA, NSA, FDA, FTC, FEMA, State & Local Police, etc., etc... Sometimes it's like pulling teeth for them to communicate certain (and in almost all cases) "pertinent" information amongst themselves. Although, with the government agencies it's more of a pride thing going on as to why they won't share certain information between themselves, as opposed to Yamaha or other corporations and businesses that deal directly with the public, where information is filtered from the top on down and only to those who absolutely need it or have to have it get it. Depending of course on the sensitivity, secrecy, or nature of the various information in question, it is either given or consequently "not" given out and ultimately it depends on who you are within the company as the final determining factor on who gets what - and when.

Best,
Mike

#237538 - 07/08/08 06:01 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
At the time I had a PSR3K as my backup and really, really didn't care for it...so, the solution that felt best was to switch my break button with the music finder which I never use...

Gotcha.....man your brave Bill

#237539 - 07/08/08 07:36 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Chony - you may have all the answers you needed by now - lots of great support on here. I too had a problem w/my T2 - It was my fault - I was moving a Bose Roommate speaker and it slipped from my hands and just as I caught it, the corner of the speaker smashed one of my variation buttons down inside the case. When I turned it on, I had the problem you have - never ending variation looping and no option to change it.

I took matters into my own hands....took the board apart and removed all the 25 or so screws on the motherboard. Once that was out of the way, I saw that the plastic "hinge" that held all 4 buttons had been compromised. It wasn't broken but the button that got smashed had been weakened. So I took some strapping tape and placed it across the flat part of the 4-button segment that was compromised and then carefully put it all back together. That was 2 years ago. Haven't had the problem since (knock wood).

I must admit that I had a sinking feeling in my stomach when I pulled the motherboard out. Hated to do it but I didn't want to part w/the T2 for a couple months, so I went ahead and did it. Looks like you have had the board just about to that point. If I were you I'd wait til I got a new 4-button segment to replace the one you have. The other thing you could try would be to put some tape across the button, pull it back up flush w/the surface and then use the pedal til you get it repaired.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#237540 - 07/08/08 08:02 PM Re: Tyros 2 broken
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:
Hated to do it but I didn't want to part w/the T2 for a couple months,

This is where the problem lies....all these companies/service centers etc, etc, need to improve their repair turnaround time to only a week or two tops...or in some minor cases make parts readily available for SELF REPLACEMENT......months is unacceptable.

#237541 - 07/09/08 10:18 AM Re: Tyros 2 broken
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Donny - so right! With the expense of the boards, even a month is too long to wait for a fix. And I also figured that the local guys wouldn't have the part on hand, so I took the chance on a self-repair.

Hopefully, the boards will become more durable and the parts/service procedures a little simpler. I'm dreaming though...

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online