SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237393 - 07/03/08 09:54 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Are you sure they're not talking about a 61-key G70? With the new placement of some of those features, it sure sounds like it. Oh, that's right, Yamaha doesn't make anything like the G70.

#237394 - 07/03/08 10:41 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Yamaha doesn't make anything like the G70.

Neither does Roland

#237395 - 07/03/08 11:57 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I still don’t understand why uses have to trade in their existing boards, just to get new sounds and features, (Seems a very expensive way to do things) I would have thought it would be much better to pay a fraction of the upgrade price, and just buy the new software and if required a couple of bits of hardware.
Some people really love to spend money for nothing.
Actually that last statement sounds good for a song. (Money for Nothing)

Bill

#237396 - 07/03/08 12:39 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
Diki Offline

Well, Bill, seeing as how you are of course talking about Wersi let's look at that...

If you consider that by trading at the right time, for the right price, you often only lose a few hundred dollars each time you upgrade. Now consider that to get into a Wersi in the first place, particularly a well-speced one, you are looking at close to double the price of a good TOTL arranger. At least $3000 more than anything else.

Now, I don't know about you, but that $3k price difference pays for a LOT of 'upgrades', probably well over a decade or more (probably closer to two) of doing it on almost every model that comes out. Imagine losing $500 by trading. $3k gives you six model changes. New models once every three years... 18 years of upgrading for that $3k premium. OK, worst case scenario - you lose $1000 upgrading (although I've never done that!), you still get nine years of being TOTL for the same money...

I am quite sure that in a decade the hardware and software of a Wersi will not be compatible any more, unless you put that close to $3k into upgrades for the Wersi anyway (I've seen that price-list of Wersi hardware upgrades - Yikes! )

Not to mention that ALL of the 'closed' arrangers don't need another cent put into them to sound amazing, whereas to get the best out of an 'open' system, you have to add thousands MORE in VSTi's to get the basic sound to be noticeably better than a 'closed' arranger. This adds to the REAL cost of an 'open' system, making the difference between upgrading continually on closed systems and buying an exorbitantly expensive open one, and STILL having to spend quite a bit to stay current, much less than you make out.

Also, I note that you yourself are considerably behind the 'state of the art' as far as your own Wersi's hardware upgrades goes, aren't you? If they are so cheap, why have you not gone that route yourself...? You are, in effect, advising others to do what you don't do yourself...

It would be interesting to hear from you exactly how much it would cost to upgrade your own Wersi's hardware to be equivalent to their current TOTL specs, how much it cost in the first place (and new cost if someone started with your model), and how much you have spent on VSTi's for it (and what the cost of all the favorite VSTi's that most power users use). New CPU's, software, displays, peripherals, everything that is in a TOTL Wersi as of today...

TCO... Total cost of operation. To remain state of the art (which you do when upgrading to the latest Yamaha or Korg, etc.) over a decade or more is probably a LOT closer than you think, if you actually avail yourself of the upgrade path that Wersi offer. OF COURSE it's cheap if you don't upgrade

But so is NOT buying the latest Yamaha if you already have the previous one...

#237397 - 07/03/08 01:52 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
abacus Offline

1. Since the launch of OAS over 8 years ago you would only have to upgrade the Motherboard, Ram, CPU and Hard disk once to be able to run the latest OAS 7 software. As to cost, would you pay £130 or more for a Roland stand for your G70 when the same stand (Without the Roland badge) could be picked up for about £30, I am pretty sure the answer is no. The same applies to computer parts, you just buy them off the shelf for a fraction of the cost that Wersi (Or any other manufacture that sells bits) charge.

2. You do not need to buy VSTs to make Wersi sound good, as it is easily a match for any board out there, as well as offering capabilities beyond what others are offering. (If you don’t believe me, follow your own advice and try the board first LIVE)

3. With the advent of OAS 7 the sound production hardware had to be changed for the first time since launch, the cost of a new card would have been approx €800 (The equivalent card to use in a standard computer is also a similar cost) however Wersi charge only €495 for the new board and the massively upgraded software, (It is so different that you cannot load any previous generation sounds directly into it. (You have to import them and then let the software convert them into the new format) The reason it is much cheaper is because you trade in you old sound board for the new one.

4. The future of sound is sound modelled voices, (10yrs from now they will be the most common form of sound reproduction) and the new sound board introduced with OAS 7 has this capability on board, (Which means it is good for another 10 – 15yrs or more) and all the New voices onboard use a combination of samples and sound modelling. (Eventually all sounds will probably just use the sound modelling features, however R & D to program them will take considerable resources, and so it will be a few years before this happens) how many hardware boards do you know that can use sound modelled voices.

5. As to big screens and the rest, then these are options, you DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT have to purchase them to use the new software. (As I have mentioned in other posts when I have replied to your posts (Do you ever read them fully, or do you just pick out the bits you can make mileage on)

6. Once again if you had read previous posts you would know that I have been busy with other things, and so have not had the time to upgrade. (Not much point upgrading until you have the time to indulge in the new features.

7. Stop thinking everything revolves around Florida beach music and sounds, because it doesn’t, it’s just a very small part in a very big ocean.

Finally, Enjoy Life, Enjoy music, and most importantly DON’T be afraid of the future.

Regards

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 07-03-2008).]

#237398 - 07/03/08 02:57 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
7. Stop thinking everything revolves around Florida beach music and sounds, because it doesn’t, it’s just a very small part in a very big ocean.

Just where in the heck did this come from..? You see ANY reference to Florida beach music (whatever THAT is? )?

Sorry, Bill, but although I might play on a beach from time to time, it's got bugger all to do with WHAT I play, WHAT I play on, and HOW I play.

And, although it may constitute a portion of my income, at the same time I am doing recording work with national artists, local musicians, and just about anything that comes my way. I would also be fairly sure I have played, used and made a living off of VSTi's for MUCH longer than you, am WELL aware of the fact that you try ANY of today's modern VSTi's on a ten year old CPU, mother board or OS and it will grind it to a halt in a flash. Let's face it, if you have a ten year old computer running Vista, the only thing ten year old in there might be the case!

And sorry, old bean, but every Wersi demo I have heard using the onboard sounds makes me want to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl! While the VSTi's can make it sound closer to a T2, do without those and you start to sound like a cross between a ten year old arranger and the Blackpool Tower organ...

Come to think of it, the Wersi is the PERFECT arranger for beach music... If that is Blackpool Beach you are talking about. My Pontins and Butlins days are long over, and so is that sound. But if I chose to return to that beach music sound, rest assured I will consider a Wersi (after I win the lottery)...

Look at the specs for running today's high end VSTi's, yet alone any of the future modeling VSTi's (whose system requirements would choke a Cray!) and you realize that the ideal of an all VSTi arranger is still a LONG way away. Heck, most studios running on primarily VSTi sounds have to have multiple computers just to run a whole song like that. Hollywood film scorers have banks of them.

There's a LOT more to running VSTi's than a bit of B4 and Colossus (seen the list price for that one? )

I am not afraid of the future. I have been on the cutting edge of using computers for music since they first came out. I have been using VSTi's since the very day they started. I have probably more experience doing full virtual production than most on this forum, have a decent collection of them already, and the studio has more. Use them to their potential, and you can drain the living daylights out of any state of the art octo-core CPU out right now, yet alone some kludged-up retrofit of a ten year old arranger...

I am not afraid of the future, but I am WELL aware that it is not upon us yet... despite all the hype.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-03-2008).]

#237399 - 07/03/08 03:35 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
abacus Offline

1. Once again you ignore virtually all of the points made, picking odd bits to suit.

2. If you think the Blackpool sound, Euro sound etc, (And anything else that doesn’t comply with how you play in Florida) is dead, then you really are out of touch with reality. (The current leader in future music is Germany, as both the US and the UK have lost their crowns)

Anyway back to reality, as in addition to the points made in my first post, it was also to add a bit of humour to the post, (Hence all the smiley) and not to highjack it, so if you want to continue manipulating what I have posted, please start another thread, or go back to the ones that you never replied too. (Or just plain ignored)
Regards

Bill

BTW I have been working with computers since the late 70s early 80s, (I was even doing Midi on a Spectrum) and to quote a US saying, “You haven’t seen nothing yet” it’s also closer then you think.

#237400 - 07/04/08 05:19 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Not to mention that ALL of the 'closed' arrangers don't need another cent put into them to sound amazing, whereas to get the best out of an 'open' system, you have to add thousands MORE in VSTi's to get the basic sound to be noticeably better than a 'closed' arranger. This adds to the REAL cost of an 'open' system, making the difference between upgrading continually on closed systems and buying an exorbitantly expensive open one, and STILL having to spend quite a bit to stay current, much less than you make out.

Diki,

The Wersi doesn't need VSTi's loaded to sound better than other arrangers, the factory sounds already sound great right out of the box. The Wersi has nearly 1 GB of sounds in OAS 7 as standard. That's about 10 times the sound ROM used for any other arranger made today. What that equates to is some phenomenal sounding instruments, especially the orchestral and acoustic instruments. The Wersi also has great synthesis features (FM, Wavetable, Physical Modeling, etc.) and can load samples as well (both 16 and 24 BIT). Listen to any Creamware or Sonic Core sound demo and that's what the Wersi sounds like.

I strongly suggest you audition a Wersi OAS system in person rather than speculate what it sounds like because your assumptions of what it sounds like are way off base. Just because you've heard some MP3 demos that showcase the Wersi organ sounds doesn't mean that's all that it can do. The Wersi factory sounds are already a powerhouse in and of themselves but once you add the ability to utilize VST's and AKAI samples, the sound palette opens up 100 fold. Only the Lionstracs Mediastation offers that kind of versatility but the Mediastation's factory sound set isn't on par with Wersi's. Lionstracs is working on changing that though. Contrary to what you and many others think, the Mediastation's stock sounds are far better than you can imagine. Until you audition one in person, don't be so quick to judge.

I've gone from the best arrangers that Yamaha, Technics, and Korg have to offer and the Wersi easily rivals what I've had prior. I haven't experienced any other arranger to date that has the sounds, features, ease of use, and build quality of the Wersi. It's not likely that Yamaha, Roland, Korg, or Ketron will produce anything that even comes close to the Wersi let alone rivals it. Rest assured if they do, I'll be the first one in line to buy one. I won't hold my breath because that hasn't happened yet.

#237401 - 07/04/08 06:31 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
Dnj Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And, although it may constitute a portion of my income, at the same time I am doing recording work with national artists,

Diki that sounds exciting which acts are you working with?

#237402 - 07/04/08 07:33 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros3 Jigsaw and Audio Clip Dissected - A Sneaky Examination of the Evidence
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Ensnareyou and Abacus...
don't need here to continue expain the possibility and audio quality of the VST/ASIO support, because they know really well.
The problems is that they will never admit that small company like Wersi, Lionstracs, Musereseach...can make, develope and produce new innovative products based on recent PC technology.
For sure the Tyros can have the best styles available today but still they and the all other brands continue to resell dated/recycled hardware/software...that just some now after 10 years start to play one simple Mp3..
This why?
because the mass of the people are still interested to buy this dated products and continue put in the trash the money just for replace the new hardware with some new keys and sounds....and the manufacture are happy because every 6 months they know to resell a new hardware and not a simple Upgrade.

The keyboards are like the Cell phones.
Do NOT convince someone to change the Nokia phone to the Samsung, OR the Sony to the LG!
This is only a closed mentality because they will always eating the same warmed soup.

is better eat a secure WARMED soup or Hamburger that try to go in the restaurant for try to eating one Argentina Steak!

Just look at the apple with the new Iphone 3G for example: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09telecomitalia.html
We believe in the new technology and we know that this new Iphone will be the revolution of the cell phones..
then just browser in the net and read how many are offence the Apple...this only because they will NOT accept that a new brand company entry in the telecomunications.
Totally same is for the keyboards...
Time will tell...just patience...
I really will listen when are available this new promised keyboards and then they have to waiting again 40-50 minute for loading the sampler or just play in good quality ONE Mp3..

Enjoy what you play...( or drinking?.. )

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online