Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 06-29-2008).]

#237046 - 06/29/08 08:16 PM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Part of the myth of 'open' keyboards is this assumption that, once you buy the hardware, software will keep it contemporary into the far future...

Now, I don't know about you, but I keep a fairly careful eye on the state of audio software and computers. I've been using them for decades now (well, over one decade, anyway!). And probably the first thing you learn is, it doesn't matter how powerful a computer you have, someone WILL make a program that taxes it beyond it's capabilities. This is especially true when it comes to VSTi's.

That is very true. However, if a keyboard manufacturer makes a keyboard, whether an arranger or a workstation, and the hardware is able to be upgraded along with the software then theoretically you could stay current technology wise for years into the future. Or at the very least, until you decided to sell it. That was the problem with the OASYS in my opinion, in that it was not upgradeable in every aspect and area of the hardware. Take a look at your computer on the other hand. If it is a white box i.e. (open architecture and pieced together using custom parts) you can theoretically achieve the same goal by replacing and (upgrading) parts when necessary, and consequently, to continue to stay current regarding cutting edge computer technology, well into the future. Some things on the OASYS were upgradeable but Korg's mistake was in not making the OASYS "fully" hardware upgradable. I think Korg or any other keyboard manufacturer could make out like hogan's goat if they decided to produce such a beast. First of all, since the concept would be considered revolutionary in its ability to stay fresh and cutting edge, it would demand a higher premium for its initial cost(s). Additionally, they would also make major bucks selling the upgradeable parts to product owners, especially if they were able to do it on a large mass scale, depending of course on how well the concept caught on and how many people eventually buy into the concept.

Openlabs and Lionstrac are leaning in that direction but as far as their products being able to be "fully" customized by being able to be "fully" hardware upgradable, I'm not sure. If there were one, two, or possibly other additional parts that couldn't be replaced by being upgraded by the owner, then needless to say they would eventually have to fork over big bucks for a whole new unit somewhere down the line. Because like you said, software would eventually bring it to its knees if some of the hardware parts couldn't be upgraded to stay current with the future advancement of software technology.

Of course all of the product customization and hardware upgradableness to the "nth degree for eons into the future" will not mean a hill of beans if the thing doesn't sound good. Just as location is the epitomy in Real Estate, sound is the epitomy in a keyboard. Everything else pales in comparison, including the ability to "fully" upgrade a product (both hardware and software) well into the future.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 06-29-2008).]

#237047 - 06/29/08 09:29 PM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
The Oasys was a great concept although poorly executed. The synth sounds were phenomenal but as a whole I wouldn't classify it as a usable workstation. The sequencer and audio recorder were merely afterthoughts and because Korg used a 16 BIT sound card for the audio with limited track count, it couldn't be remedied without a hardware change.

Korg's inability to do significant software changes other than adding some new sound engines wasn't enough to make it what it should have been from the onset. As an Oasys owner who became disgruntled with Korg's lack of software support and bug fixes, I sold my Oasys in hope that one day they'd get it right and I'd jump back on board. Now it seems that will never happen.

I doubt there will ever be an Oasys II as the Oasys itself didn't sell well and in this business it's a numbers game. Now Korg will use variations of the Oasys technology in many other Korg products to recoup their R&D costs.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 06-29-2008).]

The Oasys project was not so much about selling as it was about marketing and development..

The technicall knowledge gained with Oasys will be the core of the future Korg products for the next ten years to come...

People complaining about the medicore DAW functions in Korg don't grasp the product... Oasys was all about sounds and KARMA...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#237048 - 06/29/08 09:57 PM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
People complaining about the medicore DAW functions in Korg don't grasp the product... Oasys was all about sounds and KARMA...

Absolutely!! +1

Dennis

#237049 - 06/29/08 10:00 PM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
miden Offline

Loc: The World
And to go further, I reckon Korg put a whole lot of concepts in the oasys JUST to see how they would work out (the M3 is a result of that experiment)..

And hey, they managed to sell a few as well..I don't see Stephen Kay going anyhwere in a hurry, so methinks there is more to come, much more...

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-29-2008).]

#237050 - 06/29/08 11:45 PM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mike
Not sure where you have been for the last 8 years or so, but a product that is both hardware and software upgradeable has been on the market for that long already.
They also sell without problems to pretty much anybody that tries one. (How many manufactures do you know that builds the board to the owner’s requirements?)
The downside is that being a small company, there is a limited amount of dealers, making the ability to try the product difficult in some parts of the world.
Still if you ever get the chance, try one, do so, as while not a 100% certainty, most folks that do, fall in love with them. (Figuratively speaking)
Enjoy life; choose the best board for YOUR needs, not others.

Bill

#237051 - 06/30/08 12:01 AM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
The downside is that being a small company, there is a limited amount of dealers, making the ability to try the product difficult in some parts of the world.
Still if you ever get the chance, try one,

Right, if you're talking about Wersi products, there's simply NO WAY to tray one in Italy.... nobody here trades them.

#237052 - 06/30/08 03:44 AM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Are our concerns misdirected? Maybe we should be less obsessed with technology and more concerned with improving our playing skills. Great players trump great technology every time. Think about which (performer vs technology) you go to see when you go to an entertainment venue.

chas

#237053 - 06/30/08 08:44 AM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Your right, its not an Arranger, its a proffesional synthesizer/workstation, played by

Pete Townshend (The Who)
Tuomas Holopainen - Nightwish
Jordan Rudess - Dream Theater
Keith Emerson - Emerson Lake and Palmer, Keith Emerson Band
Tony Banks - Genesis
Greg Phillinganes - session keyboardist, now playing with Toto
Herbie Hancock
Chuck Leavell - The Rolling Stones
Sly Stone
Derek Sherinian
Michael Cretu - Enigma
John Paul Jones-- at 2007 reunion of Led Zeppelin
Murray Gold -Doctor Who composer (2005-?)

Household namse here I had an O.A.S.Y.S. last year, as i grew "out" of arrangers, as (for me, at least) having most of the work done for you with the flick of a button didn't appeal. Don't get me wrong, arrangers are useful tools, with plenty of musicians on these forum who use them VERY WELL(scott yee, Andrea(dreamer) Uncle dave TonyW (hi mate)!. and lots of others

However, i was brought up in a pianistic family, and was encouraged to do more for my self, than the instrument for me. With the oasys, you have many of the sounds of the arrangers, (better sounds IMO -as the Oasys has 2 gig of ram to play with, as well as the EXi instruments). The "Brass" ex is superb, for example.

I'm not sure wether the oasys is being discontinued, but it;s changed the way i approach music nowadays, and this instrument really inspires me to create" music", and with the oasys, you do have the tools in which to create.

Hope everyones keeping well on these forums, and keep making music that YOU love to make

Regards

Anthony

[This message has been edited by Jupitar5 (edited 06-30-2008).]

#237054 - 06/30/08 11:38 AM Re: the Korg Oasys...I never see comments here
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
All of those names will happily be playing the NEXT whiz-bang keyboard that they get for free (or heavily discounted) and someone else will be touting their using it as justification for how good it is.

What will prove it to be a classic is whether anyone is still playing it twenty years later...

Hammond B3
Rhodes
Wurli
Minimoog
Prophet5
Fairlight CMI
CP70

THESE are 'classics'... an instrument barely out of production has a LONG way to go before it makes that list.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online