SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#236759 - 08/19/08 06:57 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but my workaround doesn't involve using the computer to capture the entire arranger output. Far too much data nowadays, especially with lots of sys-ex running down the pipe, which interrupts clock signals' timing. I can't get my G70 to do this either, whereas my G1000 had no trouble. I guess things are just getting too complicated. But try filtering sys-ex from the Korg's output... this MIGHT tighten up clock lock but it might cause some things to get recorded not quite the same as the original sound. Worth a try, perhaps. How is USB for MIDI between the two? Any better?

Basically, If I have to redo a section, I simply use the Arranger Recorder (the one that 'captures' the entire machine) to record JUST that section, then save it as a new SMF in the arranger, which I can (after transfer) open INSIDE the arrangement that has the earlier capture on it in Cubase. I can then chop out the 'bad' section, and drag and drop (or insert) the new section into it, then save as a new SMF.

I would have thought Sonor7 should have been capable of such a simple task... Try opening an SMF in Sonor, then ask it to 'Import' another one. Maybe you can get it to open in the same arrangement, or maybe it opens a new, parallel one, in which case you ought to be able to copy and paste between the two. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Sonor (I'm a Mac guy), but this seems basic in any modern computer sequencer, even if it gives fits to the on board pieces of junk!

Give it a try...

#236760 - 08/19/08 07:17 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, but my workaround doesn't involve using the computer to capture the entire arranger output. Far too much data nowadays, especially with lots of sys-ex running down the pipe, which interrupts clock signals' timing. I can't get my G70 to do this either, whereas my G1000 had no trouble. I guess things are just getting too complicated. But try filtering sys-ex from the Korg's output... this MIGHT tighten up clock lock but it might cause some things to get recorded not quite the same as the original sound. Worth a try, perhaps. How is USB for MIDI between the two? Any better?

Basically, If I have to redo a section, I simply use the Arranger Recorder (the one that 'captures' the entire machine) to record JUST that section, then save it as a new SMF in the arranger, which I can (after transfer) open INSIDE the arrangement that has the earlier capture on it in Cubase. I can then chop out the 'bad' section, and drag and drop (or insert) the new section into it, then save as a new SMF.

I would have thought Sonor7 should have been capable of such a simple task... Try opening an SMF in Sonor, then ask it to 'Import' another one. Maybe you can get it to open in the same arrangement, or maybe it opens a new, parallel one, in which case you ought to be able to copy and paste between the two. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Sonor (I'm a Mac guy), but this seems basic in any modern computer sequencer, even if it gives fits to the on board pieces of junk!

Give it a try...

Yeah, I also tried USB midi but it was in some cases less better than just standard midi communication over cables. You may have a point regarding sysex. I will have to experiment to see how much is being jammed down the pipe. I hadn't thought about that.

Well, I'm feeling better that others (sorry ) have not had much success with this either but your suggestions regarding importing I actually do use with success in Sonar. I did reach the conclusion a few weeks ago that simply saving separate midi files on the Korg for each section of song and then manually importing into the host sequencer might be how others are approaching this. Thanks for confirming that. This has really been how I've been dealing with it. Hey, it works. It's not the greatest for inspirational flow but it works. There are worse things to deal with.

thanks for your thoughts! It is appreciated.

Brian

[This message has been edited by greenkidd (edited 08-19-2008).]

#236761 - 08/20/08 12:52 AM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

Deleted

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 08-21-2008).]

#236762 - 08/20/08 01:44 AM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Last week I was talking to the keyboard dept at RolandUS about the GW-8. They told me clearly that it was not a "gigging" machine. That it did NOT have the ability to edit patches. He said that you can NOT set up a "patch" with the dance style and the instrumentation that you want to go with it. That you have to do all your changes one at time when you're on stage.

I didn't buy this "step backwards in arranger technology" so I asked him again and he repeated exactly that....again!

This seems a bit odd to me. Anyone know any different about this?

BTW...he also said the G-70 IS still in production.

Lucky

From the GW-8 manual...

Quote:
By selecting a preset Performance, you can quickly recall settings that are appropriate for the song you’re playing.
When you select a preset performance, settings for the
following items will be recalled.
• Keyboard mode
• Upper Tone/Lower Tone settings
• Style settings
• Song settings
• Effects settings
• Transpose
• Octave shift
• D Beam settings
• Keyboard touch
• Chord mode
• Melody Intelligence

So.... given how completely clueless he was to his own products abilities, what do you think about his reassurance that the G70 is still being made, given that most of the European dealers are saying it has been discontinued?

I tell you, RolandUS is staffed by morons...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-20-2008).]

#236763 - 08/21/08 11:27 AM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

Deleted

#236764 - 08/21/08 11:28 AM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

Deleted

#236765 - 08/21/08 12:16 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given the generally high quality of Roland styles, I wonder if they are going to make the GW-8's latin styles available on disc for E-80/G-70 users?

[This message has been edited by Seamaster (edited 08-21-2008).]

#236766 - 08/21/08 12:21 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

I downloaded the GW-8 manual from the mainland Chinese site and learned a couple of interesting things. The GW-8 has 130 preset Styles + 40 World preset Styles. Apparently, these World Styles will vary based on what GW-8 model you have (Latin, Eastern Europe or Asian). Of course, with the available User Style slots, you should be able to use Styles from any of the different keyboard versions. The Chinese manual (for the Asian model of the GW-8) contains a complete listing of all the Patch (Tone) presets, 1625 in total. 1194 thru 1417 are Asian instruments...1578 thru 1625 are various permutations of Asian percussion & drum sets. Curiously, 1418 thru 1577 are unlisted...I am wondering if these are slots for loading Tones via USB (as mentioned in the English language manual...page 50 states that If you add Tones (via USB), the imported Tones will be added to [WORLD] and [SPECIAL]).

Update: On a major European music retailer's site, the GW-8E (the Eastern European model) is stated to have an additional 65 Styles and 125 Tone Presets / 15 Drum Kits that will prove useful for playing music in countries like Hungary, Greece, Turkey, Poland, CZ, Croatia, etc...

Michael

#236767 - 08/21/08 12:22 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

Deleted

#236768 - 08/21/08 12:24 PM Re: Roland GW-8 thoughts...
ocomain Offline

Deleted

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online