SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235936 - 06/13/08 10:08 AM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I got supplied an un-powered HotSpot as a key monitor in a live band recently, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how loud and clear it could go. But there's one big caveat... This was a full band, so my G70 wasn't doing the bass and drums, just the keyboard parts. So the lack of a full bass in the sound wasn't a problem - actually, a plus, because monitors really shouldn't have too much bottom on them, or the stage sound gets very muddy quickly!

The other thing is that you need to get them in as close as you are comfortable with, as this will let you run them quieter, and quieter means cleaner... So, a pair of these in the traditional arranger speaker position (just like a beefed up regular speaker-ed arranger, but angled at you instead of straight up) would probably do the job very nicely in a band situation at quite high levels, but I sure wouldn't want to use them as FOH

#235937 - 06/13/08 12:52 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Thanks so far for all the comments.
Keep them coming as it seems there are no options in europe..

Fender 1270 all over BUT no 1270P, apparantly there's no 220 volt model.

Galaxy Hotspot no powered model in stock..
UK has them, but since there's some water between UK and the Netherlands the trip costs more as the monitor..

Tried almost all other brands I could think of and there's no other small powered monitor model.

I really need one as it will also serve very well in small places where there's not enough room. We just use our backline in these places, which means I use a keyboard amp and often standing almost above the keyboard amp. Stacking is no option since I have my Fender Twin on top of the keyboard amp. To hear something from the keyboard amp I send a line thru the Twin in these cases but while switching guitar/KB I often forget to switch channels...so...... any other Models/Brands ????

Fred

#235938 - 06/13/08 12:55 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, Diki. I use mine on a mike stand aimed right at me, about 24 inches from my head. The ohm changing dial allows me to alter the volume appropriately, and still fill the room with a third cabinet into that side of the PA. I come out of one side of a stereo Pa amp.

Light and good for my needs. I also play small venues with a keyboard amp with the non-powered Hot Spot plugged into the 2nd speaker jack. For quick set-ups, I lay the Hot Spot on the Amp and just point it in my direction.

Works for me!

Russ

#235939 - 06/13/08 03:14 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
freddynl Offline

Russ, isn't changing the OHm risky business?? You could blow your amp this way.

#235940 - 06/13/08 03:40 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
Dnj Offline

#235941 - 06/14/08 12:48 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don't think so, Fred. The adjustment goes down to 32 ohms. Of course, you've got to be sure that, on the other side, you don't go below the minimum combined resistance, but, other than that, you don't hurt anything. I can actually run one in line with 2 8 ohm cabinets at 8 ohms on a system that will run comfortably at a minimum of 2.

You can sure blow up a power amp if the load is less than the specs. The ohm dial is pretty handy and a way to protect the system if set right. Many times, I line out of the main PA into a Carvin keyboard amp and use the Hot Spot out of the extension speaker kack. then, I don't need to fool with the Ohm dial, just the main power on the Carvin. When I use the Carvin as a fill amp, i may need to raise the volume on the Carvin and increase the resistance via the ohm dial to get the monitor volume where I need it. Been using one on small jobs since the mid-80's. they last until the outside heat and sun deteriorates the plastic frame. I toss it and get another one.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-14-2008).]

#235942 - 06/15/08 12:46 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
freddynl Offline

Donny,

The FBT is around Euro 500,-- which is pretty expensive, and also hard to find in the Netherlands.
For that price I wanna hear it first, and we do not have send back possibilities in europe like you have in USA.

Anyway I found something in Germany (Craaft)which might work and very cheap (euro 98,--) Never heard of the brand, but it seems they are also producing the monitors for Solton. Since the price is low I bought one in their Ebay shop and just took the risk.
Specs are promising 80hz - 18.000hz, which is probably low enough for the vr760

(see the weblink below)

I let you know how it works out.

Thanks guys for taking the time to look for alternatives and your comments.

Fred
http://shop.kirstein.de/shop/default.aspx?TY=item&ST=1&IT=4884

#235943 - 06/15/08 03:18 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
Diki Offline

80-18kHz doesn't mean a thing until it is matched with the db figures for the same.

It could mean flat from 80-18k (very unlikely) it could mean 80-18k at -3db, it could mean 80-18k at -9db... (all utterly different in sound).

Don't let specs fool you. They are just like statistics. Easily bent to display what the vendor WANTS you to think.

#235944 - 06/15/08 03:40 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
freddynl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
80-18kHz doesn't mean a thing until it is matched with the db figures for the same.

It could mean flat from 80-18k (very unlikely) it could mean 80-18k at -3db, it could mean 80-18k at -9db... (all utterly different in sound).

Don't let specs fool you. They are just like statistics. Easily bent to display what the vendor WANTS you to think.

94db max starting at 80hz (see specs)

I know I take a risk, but small since the price is very low...

I don't need a sparkling low tone on the monitor, but I need a monitor capable of producing the low tones of the vr760 sound without distortion, so that the middle tones come out audible instead of distorted.
Starting at 80hz instead of 200hz will give a higher chance that this will work.

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 06-15-2008).]

#235945 - 06/15/08 05:13 PM Re: Any experiences with The Powered Galaxy Hotspots?
Diki Offline

Sorry, Freddy, but those two stats are not related.

94db is how loud the thing can possibly go, regardless of frequency. In fact, you would definitely blow the thing up attempting to get an 80hz tone up to 94db (which is pretty loud). You'll get that figure from a predominantly mid-ranged signal, a full range signal (such as an arranger) will break up LONG before that figure is reached....

Frequency stats are usually given in a xxHz-xxkHz + or - xdb format, meaning it can cope with frequencies over a given range, with a certain amount of drop-off at the extremes. The greater the amount of drop-off (if even given) means how well or poorly it performs at those extremes.

Likewise with max volume stats. A max db, without corresponding distortion figures is equally meaningless. SURE, it can go to 94db... but how distorted is it by the time it gets there?

Generally, anytime you see a manufacturer post figures that don't qualify his stats, you can pretty much be assured that in the REAL world, it cannot even remotely approach those figures.

Caveat emptor

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online