SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235820 - 06/12/08 02:45 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I always felt that the cheaper Roland arrangers still retained a few of the qualities that made the overpriced E and G models sound pretty good.

Many years a go, I used a Roland E-5 along with my Yamaha CLP-300, which had a nice flat top for stacking.

The styles were decent for the time, although, since then, Yamaha has really surpassed Roland in that category.

Let's hope that Roland does a serious revamp of it's accompaniment/style section on the next E and G series...that's if the latter ever sees the light of day.

Competition always improves the breed.

Ian

#235821 - 06/12/08 04:39 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yamaha has really surpassed Roland in that category.

not really.
not to me.

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 06-12-2008).]

#235822 - 06/12/08 05:44 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Should be a good match for the S900, then!

I love the lightweight fast S-900 keyfeel for my needs...S900 is on heck of an arranger......albeit it has some drawbacks that need to be addressed in the next S series but Sound is NOT one of them for sure!

#235823 - 06/12/08 05:51 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I love the lightweight fast S-900 keyfeel for my needs.

I like it a lot too Donny...it may not suit someone who is used to semi-weighted, but it is to me, the best kind of action for arranger play...smooth, fast and excellent velocity response....plus it makes the instrument lighter to transport.

Ian

#235824 - 06/12/08 07:49 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
Dnj Offline

Exactly Ian...good points,

Yamaha is on the right track with the
S-series units, I'm dealing with its drawbacks using personal workarounds that allow me to perform in my comfort zone. Sounds/Style wise I'm satisfied for now. Ergonomically I'm OK with it but it needs a better angled or manualy adjustable DISPLY Screen, Navigationally I'm 50/50, it needs a better designed rear input layout, USB should be on the Front for easy access, MIC, In/Outs/Aux/Midi/AC/ etc, should ALL be to ONE Side not in the middle to affect cable positioning when using a KB stand like the APEX deluxe. Feature wise I'm 50/50 eg: VH needs a quality upgrade, MFD needs to save Transpose & Registration info,improvements are needed. Even at a few hundred dollars more to have these things is definitly worth it. I'm trying to wait patiently.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-12-2008).]

#235825 - 06/12/08 08:29 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I liked this board, but certainly not for the professional.

like there is arranger keyboards for professionals..

isn't "professional arranger keyboard" an oxymoron

#235826 - 06/12/08 08:44 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vadim:

I don't know about you, but I smile all the way to the bank.

The S900 is great little money maker.

Ian

#235827 - 06/12/08 08:46 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Vadim:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zuki:
[b]I liked this board, but certainly not for the professional.

(Quote)like there is arranger keyboards for professionals..

Not for "Professional Arranger Keyboard Players" !!! ....

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-12-2008).]

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-12-2008).]

#235828 - 06/12/08 08:48 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think Ketron is the closest to a "Pro" arranger board. They don't even try to appeal to the mass markets, except with very expensive wooden cased models of the portable models.

Bought a Roland GW-7 to use as a piano and controller from George. For another inexpensive keyboard, some of the sounds are pretty good!
Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-12-2008).]

#235829 - 06/12/08 10:07 AM Re: You dont have to spend alot on an arranger to sound good...
John DiLeo Offline

Speaking of good guys.....When I first upgraded to my S900 I was pretty much confused. But that was pretty much resolved with the gracious help from Donny (Dnj) who went out of his way to help me in so many ways.
Through patient instruction on operation of certain features via email, Style files & Smf & little tricks of the trade as only a Real Pro like himself could offer. It got me started on the right track, & gave me the confidence to perform in front of people. I have a few gigs under my belt & feel much more confident. There are also many here on SZ who offered assistance just by reading their posts on different topics also. This is a great place to learn with many knowladgeable musicians.

Thank You All

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online